Quantcast

Mohu Channels Box Bridges Internet, Over-The-Air TV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 21, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Mohu Channels box bridges internet, over-the-air TV - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - Feb. 21, 2014

-- Mohu has the unusual distinction of being a company that's actually kind of well known for making TV antennas. The Mohu Leaf is one of the more popular indoor HDTV antennas, and the company also has a few other indoor and outdoor antennas to its name.

But Mohu is getting ready to move beyond the antenna with a new box that you can plug into your TV to seamlessly switch between broadcast TV and internet videos.

It's called Mohu Channels, and according to GigaOm, Mohu plans to launch a Kickstarter campaign for the product soon, offering early adopters the chance to get one for as little as $79.

At first glance, the device would appear to be a lot like an Apple TV, Roku, or Google TV device. It's a small box that connects to the internet via Ethernet or WiFi and which lets you stream internet video from services such as Netflix while using a wireless remote control.

But Mohu Channels has a feature that few competitors do: you can connect a Mohu Leaf (or a different antenna) to handle over-the-air television. Instead of flipping between input signals on your TV, you can use one box to handle broadcast and online media.

Users will see an on-screen program guide for live broadcasts, or they can flip to Netflix or other online video with the press of a button. The remote control also has a QWERTY keyboard which you can use to surf the web to find online videos from other sites.

See more at: http://liliputing.com/2014/02/mohu-channels-box-bridges-internet-air-tv.html

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

There have been quite a few Kickstarter project internet streaming boxes but I am not aware of a single one that has amounted to anything. I know nothing about Mohu but I do know I would never count on much from OTA without having a DVR. I think this is another one of those upcoming devices that generates a few online articles then fizzles out before launch or revs up on the runway, making a lot of noise, then slides off the runway into the ditch.

If anybody is going to participate in this Kickstarter project, good luck.

4. ChrisG8

The Kickstarter program was funded and this device is apparently going to be released. I don't know when or whether or not it will be a contender in the marketplace, although I remain skeptical it will amount to anything.

Mohu Channels

5. CatfishRivers

I noticed that Mohu has a web app called "Mohu One". It's designed for a leanback experience on TV. I didn't spend much time with it but it works with the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue. From what I can tell Mohu One is kind of similar to the Frequency app in that it curates YouTube videos:

http://www.mohuone.com/

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  6. ChrisG8

I haven't looked at Mohu One but Frequency adds content from dozens of sites of interest to me, it is the Cadillac of that type of app and I have used it a lot.

7. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Didn't see Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, ESPN Watch listed

8. ChrisG8

I can't think of any streaming box with an OTA tuner, Amazon Prime Instant Video and Vudu. I use TiVo for OTA but no TiVo includes either of those services.

9. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Exactly my point. This is just another streaming box aimed at a certain market segment. Sure it's useful to those who do not have local channels via other means (OTA through TV with tuner, Local channels as part of ISP service, etc) and subscribe to only those apps they provide, otherwise it's just another device to add to a list of other devices which also don't have all the main stream apps.