Quantcast

MKV h.264 with DTS streaming

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by jbrady3324, Apr 2, 2013.

1. jbrady3324

jbrady3324 New Member

Can the GS7 handle MKV h.264 w/ dts files streamed by a media server without making the media server transcode? If it cannot handle dts mkv files, can it transcode to pcm or pass-thru the audio signal to my avr?

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Got a legal sample file somewhere you'd like someone with a GS7 to try for you?

The GS7 supports DTS and it apparently can support MKV, albeit one user reports there's a new video glitch with certain H.264 files.

Still, there's nothing like actually trying to see.

Also keep in mind, you'll probably need to purchase the ViMu App to effectively stream files from network shares or DLNA servers.

3. jbrady3324

jbrady3324 New Member

I'm ok with purchasing the app as long as it all works 99% of the time. I dont have a legal sample available :(

Based on the vimu site, the gs7 does not support mkv dts..

4. jonw747

I don't have any videos encoded with DTS, so I have no experience whether it can even just pass it through to my AVR which can handle DTS. I'd consider ViMu authoritative as far as the Sony's ability to decode DTS directly in the GS7 (it can't).

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have already answered this question as no in your first thread, I hope you don't feel it is necessary to start a third thread with the same question. Neither Sony nor Alexander Kolychev, the ViMu developer indicate the NSZ-GS7 can handle DTS natively, I would say unless a firmware update adds support, that is a definitive and final answer. I also suggested the Sony NSZ-GT1 as the only Google TV box to date that might handle your DTS files and until there is a new Google TV model, that is the only possibility. The NSZ-GT1 and ViMu is a great combination for playback of my limited files and I believe the NSZ-GT1 is still unsurpassed by any Google TV model for variety of codecs and files handled.

We were hoping for another Blu-ray/Google TV model but apparently, the market has spoken, Google TV most be priced at $100 to sell and I don't think that will allow a Blu-ray/Google TV version. Sony's announced NSZ-GP9 was cancelled and although Vizio had mentioned a Blu-ray version over a year ago, nothing further has been heard from Vizio about that model.

6. jonw747

It's clear from multiple sources that Sony did not include DTS processing in the GS7, but Chris, do you know if streaming a file that contains DTS will work if your AVR/TV/SpeakerBar/etc has DTS processing?

7. ChrisG8

Not a chance in my opinion, it would need to be licensed for DTS Digital out. Some fly by night Chinese companies will include DTS processing without paying the license fee but I can't imagine Sony would. DTS has various levels of licensing. I don't know if connecting a DTS source by HDMI input and passing that through would require licensing but that isn't what is happening here. Handling files and decoding video while sending bitstream DTS to an attached AVR is definitely a process requiring proper DTS licensing and I sure don't see the logo anywhere. I have players that will just output DTS bitstream for decoding by an attached processor, the logo is DTS with digital out beneath. I have other players that will decode and output PCM over digital output or output analog audio, that is a different level of license with a different logo.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jonw747

I realize the Sony cannot decode DTS, but what I'm asking doesn't require it to. It just has to be able to pass the DTS stream on to whatever is downstream to do the decoding. The media player hooks that an app like ViMu can use either allow this to happen or not, but it shouldn't require licensing - unless the DTS license is far more restrictive than I'm imagining.

9. ChrisG8

It is my understanding now and I know for a fact years ago when I researched the issue, sending DTS audio over a digital connection for decoding by an attached decoder requires DTS licensing. This players is not licensed to do that. That is not pass through, that is playing the file and directing the DTS bitstream in a manner it can be decoded by the processor. That is a different level of DTS handling than decoding. What is required for the device to accept DTS in the HDMI input, do nothing with the stream and output it over the HDMI output, I don't know but clearly that isn't what is happening here, the player is playing the file and handling DTS by design, requiring a license as far as I know. Early DVD players usually didn't handle DTS at all, the required Dolby Digital would be used and DTS ignored. Soon players that could only output raw DTS over optical or coaxial digital output to an attached decoder carried the DTS digital out logo and license. Players that could decode and output analog 5.1 in addition to bitstream soon followed but that was a different license and logo.

If DTS has changed licensing requirements and now allows media players to play files with DTS audio without licensing so long as all it does is bitstream the audio, I have not seen that change and would be very surprised. It is a funny situation when you consider, at least as far as I know, there isn't a single source for files with DTS audio other than by copying DVDs, Blu-ray discs, HD DVDs, video tapes or other prerecorded media with DTS audio and all are copy protected and it is illegal to defeat copy protection and make copies. No services, not Netflix, not Amazon, not Vudu, none I have ever seen provide content with DTS audio for purchase or rent.

10. jonw747

Thanks for the explanation Chris. It's just hard for me to believe that you'd need a license to read a block of information from a file and push it downstream to another device UNLESS you wanted to display a DTS sticker on your product; but apparently it's not that simple or at least the licensing is not.

According to a thread on a Western Digital related board, they say DTS just doesn't care to license to devices that don't contain Blu-Ray players.