Quantcast

Microsoft's 'Xbox TV' Aspirations Put It On A Collision Course With Apple and Google

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 22, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. CatfishRivers

Microsoft 'Xbox TV' device due in 2013 with casual gaming and streaming | The Verge (click for full article)

By Tom Warren on November 21, 2012 12:20 pm

"Microsoft is building an Xbox set-top box. Multiple sources familiar with Redmond's plans have confirmed to The Verge that the company plans to introduce a low-cost alternative to its Xbox console, designed to provide access to core entertainment services. The move will allow Microsoft to further increase its presence in the living room, providing consumers with a choice between a set-top box or a full next-generation Xbox console.

We're told that the set-top box is part of a two-SKU strategy for Microsoft's next-generation of Xbox hardware that will be unveiled in 2013, with a release date ahead of the holiday shopping season. The device will run on the core components of Windows 8 and support casual gaming titles rather than full Xbox games typically found on a dedicated console. Although hardware specifications aren't fully locked down, we understand Microsoft will use a chipset to enable an "always on" device that boots quickly and resumes to provide near-instant access to TV and entertainment services.

Microsoft's Xbox set-top box work is said to be part of a broader effort to ensure its core architecture for the next-generation Xbox is scalable enough to be put together to run on a number of devices. We understand that the company could opt to combine its core system for the next Xbox with a phone stack to deliver a phone capable of running a full version of Microsoft's Xbox Live services. It has also investigated providing this functionality to TV OEMs, who could include the core services as part of a licensed Xbox television set.

We reached out to Microsoft for comment on its Xbox set-top box plans and the company issued the following statement:

"Xbox 360 has found new ways to extend the console lifecycle by introducing controller-free experiences with Kinect and re-inventing the console with a new dashboard and new entertainment content partnerships. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention."

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  3. CatfishRivers

I'm not much into gaming - but I would be interested in taking a look at the "Xbox TV" set-top box if:

1) it includes Microsoft Explorer web browser 2) the basic service doesn't require any monthly subscription charges.

I owned the original Web-TV device (that Microsoft took over) for 12 years - and for what it was many years ago (before it became obsolete) - it was a nice little box.

4. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Dang running Windows8 to boot.Can't wait to see how this unfolds as time goes on.I bet we get an OS upgrade around the time it hits the stores as even on Sony's site browsing the GS7 it will tell you to upgrade your browser at the top.I said I would wait until I had to get another TV but I ran up on a good deal so I gave My Sony 36 inch CRT to my retired sister.Had to use hand trucks to move the 240 lb beast.By this time next year the war will be on as the streaming set top box is the future of TV and is here to stay.What Google and Microsoft needs to do is take a long hard look and see how Roku lets anyone make a private channel and some are darned enjoyable!Thanks catfishrivers for all the info you post! :cool:

5. guest

guest Active Member

I, too, was an early user of WebTV, then MSNTV and MSNTV2. I remember the WebTV forum of some 15 years ago. 1,000 posts a day!!!! What activity! How helpful were those users if you had a question and needed an answer asap!

In comparison with that WebTV forum, the GoogleTVForum and the Logitech company's Logitech Forum are dead, dead, dead. You're a big help in this forum. But one person isn't enough. If I ever buy another set-top box or the Samsung ChromeBook, I'm going to investigate the forums that exist for users. And ONLY buy the device if there is an active, helpful user base!

You can do a lot more things with GoogleTV than you could with WebTV. But, those advanced things are far more complex to grasp. It could have been made much more user-friendly, I believe.

6. CatfishRivers

Three Questions About a Possible 'Xbox TV' Device | TIME.com (click for full article)

By Jared Newman Nov. 22, 2012

"Citing unnamed sources, The Verge's Tom Warren reports that Microsoft is working on a smaller, cheaper alternative to its Xbox game console, one that would focus on streaming video and music rather than high-end gaming. The goal would be to compete with $99-and-under devices like Apple TV and Roku, although The Verge's story doesn't say how much this device would cost.

We've heard something like this before. Last March, Digital Foundry speculated that Microsoft would launch two versions of its next Xbox, one of them being a pared-down machine to compete with video-oriented set-top devices. That would certainly make sense for people who want a device for streaming video, but don't want to pay for serious gaming capabilities.

Still, I'm left with a few questions about this so-called "Xbox TV":

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012