Quantcast

Microsoft's Plan To Beat Apple & Google

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Apr 17, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Microsoft's Plan To Beat Apple And Google - Technology News Story - WBAL Baltimore (click for full article)

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Microsoft is staging a comeback -- and, unlikely as this sounds, it's one Apple and Google should be worried about.

Microsoft's recipe relies on three key ingredients: Windows, Windows Phone and Xbox. The secret sauce, which features a dash of Bing and SkyDrive, is still simmering. But Microsoft is nothing if not patient, and it thinks its trio of core consumer products will blend together in the next few years to form a major new ecosystem.

Here's the big vision: Whether you're using your TV, PC, tablet, phone, or almost any other device that comes along, you'll be able to accomplish all the same tasks through all the same platform. The form factor will change, but the core experience won't.

"People are starting to see the same look-and-feel across the three screens and the cloud," says Craig Beilinson, director of Microsoft's consumer marketing. "This is all going to get pretty blurry."

It's a vision shared by Apple and Google, but their implementations are fundamentally different.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. bidger

bidger Member

I just wish there was as much competition among broadband providers as there are among platforms.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

There certainly isn't much competition here in Little Rock but that doesn't seem to matter, rates have been great. We used AT&T DSL for 5 years for $25/month, it went up to $40, we switched to Comcast Xfinity for $30/month for 6Mbps. Comcast just went up to $45 so we are switching to AT&T U-verse for $30/month for 12Mbps but I don't expect it to be as fast as Comcast was, we always beat the rated speed when I checked. I don't think there are any other options now and the old AT&T DSL is no longer available for us to go back to. When our U-verse deal ends in 12 months, not sure what we will do.

As far as the smart internet TV platforms, I don't have any idea which ones will survive or which ones will thrive, if any. I am committed to Google TV so that is where I will be.

4. bidger

bidger Member

Since you say UVerse from AT&T is available in your area, it forces Comcast to be more aggressive in competing in services and pricing. In my location it's either Roadrunner from TWC or 1.5Mbps down DSL from Verizon. TWC really has no incentive to compete since there really is none.

We're talking three of the biggest names in technology. None of them have any concerns as far as survival since the Smart TV platforms are only part of their overall plans.