Quantcast

Microsoft Shows The Entire Xbox One Experience With Video Tour (Updated: Xbox News)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 8, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Microsoft Shows You The Entire Xbox One Experience With Video Tour Ahead Of Nov. 22 Launch | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Darrell Etherington - Nov. 8, 2013

-- Microsoft has posted an extensive, 12-minute video walkthrough of what it’s like to use the Xbox One, including showing off its Live TV, Skype, game DVR and biometric sign-in features, among others. It’s almost like you’re using it yourself, except it’s actually Xbox CMO Yusuf Mehdi and Xbox Corporate VP Marc Whitten providing you with the vicarious experience.

Bing and Skype both get cameos (the Skype tracking at around 6:20 is pretty cool), and you can see just how easy it is to switch between things like box scores, playing an Xbox game, chatting with friends and watching streaming content from Hulu Plus and Netflix. The easy switching alone looks like a decent reason to upgrade from previous generation devices, which almost always required quitting one thing entirely to start up another, rather than making it easy to pop between activities.

Xbox All-in-One Demo:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Now this is neat. I wonder how far away they were sitting from the system? If this works when sitting as close as say 8' then I am going to seriously consider getting it, despite not being much of a gamer.

philip

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I'm just not sure how much I care about "smart guides" when most of what I watch is coming from my DVR recordings. The voice recognition is of interest to me, but I didn't notice them really stressing it.

I'd be real interested if they said you control your Xbox One and media apps with your IR remote control, but I think both Microsoft and Sony are dropping the ball again there.

For instance, I have no idea if it even supports it, but I sure don't want to have to speak "Xbox - 30 second skip" 6 times to get past a commercial, and I sure don't want to have to pick up a game controller to fast forward over them.

Skype did seem to run well on it, though.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Everything I have seen so far on the XBox One is very impressive but I am still not convinced the product will live up to the hype although that little demo sure makes me think it will. I don't plan to buy one, I am sure to stick with my cobbled together boxes that allow me to accomplish what I want, Google TV, TiVo, PS3, PC and Roku.

5. CatfishRivers

Xbox One Preview: Does Microsoft Solve The Problems Of Integrative TV? : Money/Tech : University Herald (click for full article)

by Scott Bickard - Nov. 8, 2013

-- Xbox One will officially hit the shelves on Nov. 22, though publications such as CNN's tech website CNET have already tested the new console in a living room demo arranged by Microsoft.

The living room set up emphasized how much "One" embraces the notion of video game systems being more than just a place to play "Madden" or "Grand Theft Auto." Microsoft's newest console promises to be a full home entertainmentsystem where all one's needs come from just "One" source, according to CNET.

That's mostly the case, except for a few hiccups that have plagued other integrated TV initiatives like Google TV, according to CNET.

Read more at http://www.universityherald.com/art...ve-tv-mostly-succeeds.htm#jlsHqJ6mFELO23Qv.99

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  6. CatfishRivers

Xbox One includes Kinect gestures for Internet Explorer browsing | The Verge (click for full article)

by Tom Warren - Nov. 15, 2013

-- Microsoft launched Internet Explorer for Xbox 360 last year, but the software company didn't fully integrate its Kinect sensor into the app at the time. While there were some limited voice controls, Microsoft's Xbox One version of Internet Explorer appears to be greatly improved over the 360 version.

On Xbox One you can now use a variety of gestures to navigate with Kinect alongside voice commands. Reaching out and grabbing the page initiates the navigation, and moving your hands up and down will pan. Microsoft says you'll also be able to pull a page to zoom in or push it away to zoom out.

7. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

From what I saw today I have to say that I am impressed. Very neat device. Other than the network access fee, which applies to premium apps, it's very, very interesting. Mind you, it's not inexpensive.

Philip

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Microsoft will manufacture tens of millions of these boxes, get a great deal on the cost of parts and assembly and sell it at or a little less than cost. I don't see what more we can ask for, it should be a great box for the price. Sony will do the same with the PS4. I still plan to just live with the Google TV, a PC, Roku and the PS3 but I am in awe of what we can get for around $400 right now.

9. jonw747

I could ask for a lot, don't get me started. :)

10. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Heh, but could you please keep the price in the 3 digits?

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110

11. jonw747

I guess that depends whether you consider software free. lol

12. CatfishRivers

13. ericd

ericd Active Member

Are the reports of disk drive failures being overblown?

I'm thinking of picking up an XBox One after the Christmas rush is over. It just seems to be a more complete device than the PS4

14. jonw747

Sony hasn't focused on their media offerings yet on the PS4, but they'll surely come. Heck, the PS3 slowly but surely has accumulated a decent suite of Apps. That being said, Microsoft is dedicating close to 1/3rd of their device to handling TV and media so that should be an advantage if you want to try out another invasive streaming device. IMO, HDMI passthrough devices are invasive in that they can effect your normal TV watching for the better or for the worse - if they start acting up.

I'm still curious how well either company is going to incorporate their camera and voice recog tech. Surely Microsoft has the jump, but I think I'd rather just click a button on my Universal remote (something neither apparently supports at the moment) than waive my hands - but we'll have to see. I still use the voice recog on my google tv from time to time, but my family never does. *shrugs*

15. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I suspect the XBox One voice and motion approach will not be flawless which it has to be to make it useful with respect to media viewing. I personally prefer my Harmony remote to the waving LG remote of our TV. The idea of voice and motion seems appealing but initial reports seem to indicate problems. Too early to tell I guess.

The integration with TV is not something I find appealing, unless it makes ad free premium services have a better GUI. I have little interest in ad based TV and am quite willing to wait for shows to appear on Netflix or wherever. Hulu Plus is actually bearable on that front though they are close to the border.

The paying of network access for premium apps makes the XBox One less appealing, unless it's perfect.

The XBox uses 100 watts to play videos which is five times your typical media player. This means heat, hence the fan, and consequently noise. Perhaps a game less XBox would be more interesting.

Anyway, am beginning to think that this may not be for someone like me. The GTV seems much nicer.

Just bought a Samsung 3D Blu-Ray player with a great Plex and all the usual premium streaming capabilities. No fan, quiet, pretty inexpensive, etc ... It brought home, to me at least, the folly of using a PS4/Xbox as a media player. I also very much appreciated how much nicer the GTV, as well as other media players, GUI is to these Smart TV devices. I'd forgotten how clunky they were to set up.

I wonder if Apple buying the Kinect related company means they plan on moving in a voice and motion direction?

Anyway, there is really something to be said for a nice universal remote.

I predict that the Xbox will not do well as a media player. The cost, high electrical consumption and network fees really offset the neat capabilities it brings. We shall see I guess ...

Philip

Note: Apparently the Xbox One can use a Harmony One as it does have an ir sensor and the Logitech database has it in there, according to the threads on avsforums.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  16. jonw747

That's something I don't like either, but hopefully the fans in these units will spin down or at least approach silence when doing something as menial as streaming. We'll have to see.

And while I do have a cable TV subscription, the guide is not my primary interface. We're typically looking at our recordings or setting up recordings. Incorporating this in to a 3rd party device is far more complex than showing a guide and switching the channel, and hence why nobody to my knowledge has yet tried to tackle enhancing that part of the DVR experience.

Anyway, I'm going to see if anyone has a PS4 in stock today. It's a game machine - and anything else is just a bonus.

17. chopper

chopper Active Member

Here is a demo done by someone who seems to know how to use the voice search well:

More info:

http://xbox.tumblr.com/image/67814676204

http://xbox.tumblr.com/image/67797426586

My thoughts:

Not sure the codec support is all that great for a $500 box, looks like flash and windows programs are missing so all users can instal is stuff from the App store. Missing is the ability to access your cable boxes' dvr recordings, which is easily done on GTV. The tv guide is not available outside the USA and perhaps even the tv functionality is also missing outside the USA.

Would like to see someone put the early gestures through the paces in a demo soon as well:

It should be interesting to see what Apps are developed for this device. My thinking is that including this as part of a game console might turn out to be a brilliant move by Microsoft because it is the youth who are most likely to come up with innovative App ideas and actually implement them and this is something that GTV so far has missed the boat on. Perhaps Google can fight back by offering huge prizes for App devs for Android TV and getting on with implementing the 3rd gen of GTV soon.

While I am not interested in a $500 gamer box, I am interested in a smart tv box that offers similar abilities to the XBox One, and for now at least I wish GTV and my Cable Co's DVR box were teamed up with voice search here in Canada similar to GTV/Dish is set up in the USA.

If Xbox One had been allowed to extend the Gamer DVR abilities to the recording of Live TV I think this would have been the ahha moment for a new era of TV (well at least the next 5 years before streaming/cloud dvr's takes over the reigns from cable).

Some early Apps:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

On that first video I kept expecting Xbox to tell that guy, "Hey, Make up yer mind already!

Now that is how voice control is supposed to work.

• Like Like x 2
  19. jonw747

Looks promising. Hopefully you can still watch TV when the Xbox is off. The startup time looked annoying, and I'm still not sure how functional it would all be without a Live subscription. I don't really care to subscribe to my game console.

• Like Like x 2
  20. CatfishRivers

Microsoft Brings Xbox Video To The Web Ahead Of Windows Phone, Forgets HD Playback | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Alex Wilhelm - Nov. 27, 2013

-- Happy pre-fat day, Super Troopers. Today Microsoft brought Xbox Video to the web, meaning that if you use the service on your Xbox or Windows 8.1 device, you can access your content on other machines.

The downside? There is no HD playback, which will disappoint many. The easy rebuttal to that is that people who use Xbox Video likely have an Xbox console, which is probably linked to the largest screen in their house. So, where they need HD content the most, they have it. Still a bit of a bummer to not have it on the web, but perhaps it will come in time.