Quantcast

Microsoft Helps Netflix Ditch Silverlight For HTML5

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Wisdom, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Microsoft Helps Netflix Ditch Silverlight For HTML5

ByBrad Reedon Jun 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM

[​IMG]

Give Microsoft credit: It's willing to help companies ditch its own Silverlight video streaming platform for superior alternatives. The Next Web reports that Netflix is switching out Silverlight for HTML5 and it has Microsoft to thank for making it possible. Specifically, the report says that Netflix "has been working closely with the Internet Explorer team to implement its proposed 'Premium Video Extensions' in IE11 on Windows 8.1, meaning if you install the operating system preview released today, you can watch Netflix content using HTML5 right now." Netflix is hoping that the switch to HTML5 away from the proprietary Silverlight will make it easier to stream content across many different browsers, including Firefox and Chrome .....

2. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

Microsoft needs Netflix to help it's new XBox sit in the living and appeal to the family, not just gamers. Both companies love subscriptions and let them get on with it. I can do without both in my living room, as I don't want anyone in Redmond choosing what I want to watch.
    I can make my own decisions and both of these companies aren't part of it. Good luck to the love-in.

3. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, with GoogleTV switching to HTML5 on the Jelly Bean update, I guess we don't have to worry about Netflix working okay. But then, Neflix works perfectly on the Netflix app as it is now.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It will be a long time before Netflix HTML5 works on Linux. This is because of Netflix's strict DRM requirements. For further elaboration see the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/off-topic-discussion/7644-html5-video-netflix.html

• Like Like x 2