Quantcast

MediaTek’s Google TV 120Hz chipset detailed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by eferz, Jan 6, 2012.

1. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Scoop Du Jour

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post Eferz. I read that the new MediaTek chip is a dual core 1.2GHz chip. Seeing as that the Intel Atom 4150 chip in the Revue is also a 1.2GHz chip - how do you think the new MediaTek GTV chip compares to it? Is it much better? One thing I like is that it is supposed to have power management.

Still I was thinking that the Tegra3 quad core chip would of been a more powerful solution - although probably at a higher cost.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Scoup Du Jour

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Are you sure that's the MediaTek chip and not the Marvell Armada 1500 (88DE3100)? I've read the specs on the Armada having a 1.2Ghz dual core ARM v6/7 processor. But, I'm still looking for exact specs for the MediaTek SoC.

It is impossible trying to compare two CPU different architectures on a single parameter such as speed of the processor. We need more information about the actual specs. Probably the most important is hardware acceleration. When we deal with these low performance processors, hardware acceleration is key to offload CPU resources.

That's for sure.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't know how the MediaTek and Marvell Google TV chips compare to the Intel chips used in the first generation products but that kind of comparison will be forthcoming, I am sure. Since most Android phones and tablets use ARM chips, I am going to guess this will be an upgrade for the purpose but keeping cost down is still very important so it isn't going to be a really powerful chip that is used. I am going to guess the Marvell chips with its reputation for high quality video processing and scaling will be used in some of the better displays. The MediaTek chip might be the best choice for a Google TV box.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

You're right Eferz.. I was thinking of the Marvell Armada 1500 chip and I got it mixed up with the MediaTek chip. My bad.........