Quantcast

Media Player frequently comes up empty

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by altano, Apr 18, 2011.

1. altano

altano New Member

Hey Everyone,

I just purchased a Google TV a few days ago and am experiencing an odd issue.

Many times when starting up the TV, the Media Player will come up totally blank. I have several Windows machines which should all at least be displaying Windows Media player. I also have a Windows Home Server running several DLNA servers.

But alas, when I start the TV, the Media Player is frequently TOTALLY blank. No devices show up.

Other times, all ~8 of my devices show up and none are missing.

Is there a way to force the Google TV to refresh the device listing from the main Media Player home page? I've seen the option in the context menu when you are actually browsing a device, but not at the Media Player home page.

Neither powering it off-and-on nor rebooting it help.

2. altano

altano New Member

If anyone else is hitting this, I think I've at least come up with a (terrible but better-than-nothing) workaround that works most of the time:

1) Launch Netflix
    2) Play any video
    3) While the video is playing, power off the TV using the remote's off switch
    4) Power on the TV
    5) Navigate to the Media Player

This works 90% of the time for me.

Also, FYI: whenever I have this problem, Google TV starts up with Media Player selected and not Bookmarks, which is the first menu option. When it starts up with Bookmarks selected, and I navigate to the Media Player, my DLNA servers show up just fine.

I'm probably going to return this hunk-o-junk. Sigh.

3. onemorecast

onemorecast New Member

i noticed today that while i was watching a movie on netflix, a device wanted to connect to my droid x. i had started the dlna to use the logitech media player but no luck. i'm still trying to figure it out.