Quantcast

Media Player "Cannot Load Data"

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by zuidervled, Nov 8, 2010.

1. zuidervled

zuidervled New Member

I have the Sony Blu-Ray player with Google TV. I am running Windows 7 and am using Windows Media Player 12 to share my music library. According to the settings for media sharing, everything is open and I'm allowing all devices to stream my files.

However, whenever I try to run the "Media Player" app, it has difficulty seeing my files. It recognizes my PC as a device, but when I select it, it spins for about 45 seconds and then just gives an error message "Cannot load data", leaving me back at the Device List.

Have others had any difficulty streaming content from their PC using the default Windows 7 sharing options? As a point of reference, my music collection is about 150GB, but when I use TVersity as an alternate media server, it works fine.

2. burg1n

burg1n New Member

having the exact problem and all anyone tells me is that my sharing settings are wrong :( lol. My network is accessible and unsecure as it possibly can be and I have every sharing and streaming setting turned on.

3. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I could be wrong, but I *think* it's a variant of Windows Media Connect built into Windows 7..so in theory, when properly shared, all the clients on your lan/wlan should see the WMC 'host' as a new UPnP device. This would validate it's sharing properly (further isolating the problem).

edit: DLNA is based on the UPnP specifications, with added transport protocols (http,rtp) mentioned in this Windows Media Sharing 'primer':
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/12/media-streaming-with-windows-7.aspx

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  4. zuidervled

zuidervled New Member

My situation is resolved. While poking around in the advanced sharing settings, I found two settings that may have contributed to the issue. These are both found under Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Advanced Sharing Settings, then scroll down to the following settings:

"File Sharing Connections"
    - I found that changing the settings from the default 128-bit encryption to support for the 40- or 56-bit encryption devices was needed to smooth out the connectivity issue. I hadn't found any documentation from Google on either one of these settings, so I made the change as a troubleshooting step, but lo and behold the "cannot load data" issue went away.

"Password Protected Sharing"
    - I turned this off since it was enabled by default and I was having so many connectivity issues. Not sure if this really had an impact, but I'd never seen any prompts for username/password through Google TV, so I thought this might be another undocumented setting.

I'm not 100% certain that these specific settings resolved my issues, or if it was just dumb luck, but it's worth giving a try if you're running into this problem. For that matter, just going through all of the advanced sharing settings on Windows 7 would be useful.

The following website lists out all of the various advanced settings possible in Windows 7: How to Customize Network Sharing Settings in Windows 7 | Windows 7 Tutorials

* Besides these custom settings, I have enabled all other sharing methods to all my devices. These particular settings were adjusted before I resolved the "Cannot Load Data" problem I was having.

I hope this resolution also works for others having similar issues, and I encourage others to share their successful setup options.

5. alphawave7

Interesting. I bet it was the encryption on file sharing settings. I too think the password would have had a prompt..burg1n, did this fix you too?

6. burg1n

burg1n New Member

I think this is how I allowed it to connect to one of my computers. Unfortunately I changed almost every single connection setting possible and it's not completely working with just that.

I do not get the unable to load data anymore, and I click on my computer I want to access and it shows a few folders but it's really weird, when I try to click on one of the folders to open it I somehow get completely disconnected on my computer from the network for a few seconds. Then it says unable to connect to server

I had it working for a little bit on my other computer and it showed almost my whole computer on there but I just built a new pc and the other one doesn't even have an OS on it right now lol.

Anyone know why trying to connect to my computer to see my files would cause my computer to disconnect from the network?

I can access my computer fine from other computers in the network

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  7. alphawave7

I've had the lan/wlan die on me like that before...I still think there's a network share setting, likely related to encryption or permissions, causing the crash.

8. burg1n

burg1n New Member

could it be a router thing?

9. martiniturbide

martiniturbide New Member

I used to have the same problem with Media Player on my Sony Blu-ray device.

The thing get fixed when I changed to allow access to the group for the device over Windows 7.

The option is on "Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Advanced Sharing Settings". Selected "Home - Work" and choose "Choose Media Streaming options..."
    I gave permission to the GTV device to have access.

Here are some screenshots.
    $1.jpg $2.jpg