Quantcast

Media player app: VLC?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by suikerchiller, Oct 20, 2011.

1. suikerchiller

suikerchiller New Member

Hi there,

Does anybody know if there's a better media player app that solves the .mkv issues on the Logitech Revue? For instance, something like a VLC player? I'm running HC3.1 leak, but the Logitech Media Player still has lots of issues with mkv files.

If not, will the mkv file format issues get resolved with the official HC release?

Really hope someone can help me out on this one. Thx!

2. Donaldt

Donaldt New Member

Google TV does not have problems with the MKV container file format. It is probably the streams inside of the file which are not compatible. There are eight different video containers that G-TV can support and those are MKV, FLV, MTS, MT2S, TS, AVI, MOV, and MP4 but the video streams compatibility are currently limited to four and are H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, H.263, Divx MPEG-4, and Xvid MPEG-4 and the audio streams are limited by two which are MP3 and AAC. That is why it is confusing when people say a particular video file or container does not play through Google TV. It is usually not the incompatibility of the container but the streams inside. I do not blame them because I was also ignorant of the difference between containers and codecs and the tools to see the difference is not included with any operating system. You need to manually search and download and install special applications to be able to identify the different containers and the streams contained inside of them. I use a program called MediaInfo because it is free and it allows me to right click on a file to open a window that lists the contents the multimedia file. It is a very handy way of troubleshooting why a file does not play on the GTV. I have found that it is usually because of the video stream instead of the video container and not the container itself that so many people report as not being compatible. That is why I use Format Factory to convert the files using the All to MP4 option. I do not know how long it takes to convert a HD video file because I do not have any. The files that I convert use a resolution smaller than 720x480 because that is what my video cameras shoot and I think the smallest resolution for HD files are 1280x720. The conversion process sometimes takes me a little longer or a little less than it takes to watch the video but I have a ten year computer and I think the newer processors can do it much faster. I do not have very much money and I try to make use of all of the free software that I can so that I can have the best experience that I can without spending money and throwing it away in the can.

3. sarreq

sarreq Member

sorry to nitpick, but that's only 3 codecs. divx & xvid decode exactly the same way, their differences are on the encoding side of things

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I haven't read his original post. Not enough line feeds makes my head hurt, but from the blurb that you quoted. You can consider DivX and Xvid supported separately because of the way they encode their streams. I've actually found that DX50 streams which are Divx 5 (MPEG4-2 ASP) have a broken FourCC association on Google TV, There fore its associated codec is unable to decode the MPEG-4 ASP stream. However, using FourCC changer to change it to XVID allows the same video to play.

Additionally, there have been people that are complaining about their Xvid streams are not playable though I haven't had time to reproduce that issue to get a definite assessment. But, yeah. I hear you. Divx and Xvid are based on the MPEG4 Part 2 SP/ASP standards and could be classified together.

5. TomTheMan

TomTheMan New Member

Xvid will Play. I have found that some of the Xvid files that have pauses for commercials (TV shows) will stop working at the first commercial break. This was a problem I ran into with the old media player (before honey comb). I'm trying the FourCC solution now, it takes some time with my media collection. I will let you know.

There is a new post Claiming a Player called GTVbox is working. This is something I waiting to be verified.

6. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

Hi! I am developer of GTVBox app. I think it is possible to fix the FCC problem 'on fly' while during playback. Could you point me to some example file as I don't have any DivX5 encoded videos. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sure, take a look at this thread. I listed the problem and indicated a repository of videos for you to test: http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ot-play-files-old-one-played-3.html#post18076

And welcome to the forum, I recognized you from the GTVhacker forums.

8. TomTheMan

TomTheMan New Member

Just paid for and downloaded the GTVbox. It will not play any .avi files that the given media player did not play. It's put together nice, and looks real sharp, but for now offers no play back that you don't already have. If you look at the description of the program it says this at the begining, but it also says it plays divix files, and I can tell you it will not play my .avi divix codec 4 files. I hope they will update it soon.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Did you try downloading Media Info and FourCC changer to see adjusting the values help?

10. chiledog

chiledog New Member

I thought it also supported MPEG2-TS.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, VLC supports the TS container with MPEG2 streams.

12. chiledog

chiledog New Member

Whoops, left off what "it" is.

I thought the *revue* also supported MPEG2-TS.

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Not according to their FAQ:

I believe that should change since Google added many more codecs to their base support in Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update: Supported Media Formats - Google TV Android Developers Guide - Google Code

14. chiledog

chiledog New Member

Eferz,

You are right. I, like most of us patiently waiting Revue users, am only thinking of the green fields that is known as Honeycomb.

BTW, from the HC "Supported Media Formats", for MPEG the link has "Note: MPEG-2 support is no longer required for BBs, but BDPs and TVs will still implement it."

Do you know what "BBs" and "BDPs" are?

Thanks,
    Chiledog

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I have no idea what BB stands for, but BDP should be Blu-Ray Disc Players. Which is necessary to play most if not all DVD/Blu-Ray Disc formats.

16. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

Revue with the first 3.1 leak supports MPEG2 and MPEG2TS container. The second leak does not, due to some bug I suppose.

17. bidger

bidger Member

"Media Player app: VLC?" Yes, please, since it would be a huge improvement over the atrocity that is the embedded MP on SONY GTVs. Boxee app would be welcome as well.

18. boostm3

boostm3 New Member

I just downloaded Format Changer, and while the conversions to MP4 seem to work and GTV is seeing and playing the one Ive converted so far, I find the time it takes is prohibitive. I often download 4gb HD files and those look to take somewhere between 5 and 6 hrs to convert; files that take me just 40 minutes or so do download.. is this really PROGRESS? It almost makes more sense to keep using my hdmi hookup from laptop to HT receiver. Still, the wireless attraction is there and seductive.. But, as a noob, Im finding that unless supported formats increase and increase rapidly, the main reason I got gtv and logitech review (to stream downloaded video to my home theater system) is not going to be well served.

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Seriously? You are either are using some really intensive options for conversion or you just have a really low performance computer. For me a typical hour and a half movie takes about thirty minutes to convert on the first pass, or two hours if I choose a two pass conversion. This was typical for either AVS Convertor or Format Factory and my computer is at least five years old. Plus, both software tools have the ability to queue multiple files for mass conversions.

Downloading movies on the internet from the internet, really? So, you're publicly admitting in participating and committing to piracy. If you purchased your content legitimately and made a backup of it. Then you should be converting your movies to maybe one or two formats. Preferably to a format that is the most compatible across all your devices. Google didn't create Google TV to make it more convenient for you to rip off content owners.

Still not bad for a $99 device. How much did you say that the laptop cost you?

20. boostm3

boostm3 New Member

As for conversion options, the default chosen for the 'all to mp4' selection is 'High Quality and Size'... Just took me an hour for a 700 mb avi file. What formatter are you using? Seems you have more choices than my Format Factory 2.7.

Its definitely not the laptop which is running with an Intel core 2 Duo processor running at 2.2 Ghz.