Quantcast

Media Format Compatability ??

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by Doulos24x7, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Doulos24x7

Doulos24x7 New Member

This is ridiculously frustrating trying to find a reliable list of compatible formats for media (video)...thank you Sony, not.

I finally got the set top box to recognize a 1TB external USB drive. The media player finds the files but won't play most of them. I have many different formats. The ooddball thing is that it will play some AVI's...some it won't. It will play some MP4's, some it won't. Uber irritating.

What format is the Sony "gold standard" that this stupid unit will play and play reliably? I have Wondershare Video Format Converter, I can convert into just about any format...but I'm a bit tired of the old trial and error method.

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The problem with multimedia files is that there is no "gold standard". Most people don't even realize that the file extension doesn't even tell us much about the file itself. At most, it may give us an idea about the multimedia container. However, the major part of the container simply dictates how the many streams inside are interleaved. This implementation is one of the contingencies which allows the asynchronous streams to play concurrently without a dilation between the two.

In my opinion, there's too many nerds and geeks involved with multimedia playback that nobody can agree on a standard format. Instead, there's a balkanization within the computer science community where different camps believe one standard is better than the other. Many believe that their codec or container is better than the other or one container is better than the other. Instead of creating a unified standard which incorporates the diversity of implementations, different branches are being created to justify a particular need. That's why there's so much diversity. Too much for the average person to wade through and deal with.

There's a program called MediaInfo which you can use to see the specific container, and all the video & audio streams contained within a file. You can even see some information about how they were recorded. This can help you differentiate between the files that do play and the ones which don't. In my opinion the most compatible format amongst different media players is to have a file that encapsulates the MP4 multimedia container with a H.264/AVC video stream and an AAC audio stream. This kind of file should play on practically any type of media device depending on its encoding specifications. You can use programs like Format Factory or AVS Video Converter to create a copy of the file in the file format of your choice.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Inquisitor

Inquisitor New Member

Here is some information that might help:

//helpguide.sony.net/internettv/nsz-gt1/v1/us1/04/04-11.html
    and
    //helpguide.sony.net/internettv/nsx-gt1/v1/us1/04/04-11.html

That said, perhaps someone will develop a better media play for the App Market that will provide better file support. I keep looking but each seems lacking for one format or another.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The big problem is that until Google blesses the NDK for Google TV, most developers aren't that willing to develop codecs in Java.

Btw, you linked the same URL twice.