Quantcast

Maybe you can help me out with my setup...

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by hollywood, Dec 15, 2010.

1. hollywood

hollywood New Member

So, I do not yet have my Revue (should be here Monday), but as of right now, I am trying to figure out a setup without spending too much upfront. (I will, of course, upgrade in the future to better systems.)

Video- a DLP Optoma projector with composite video, VGA port, and DVI port, and an S-Video port (no audio out). It DOES have 1080p video capabilities using the DVI port.

Sound- Logitech X-530, which has only 2 analog audio inputs (L+R, with the included adapter)

My current plan for video is to get an HDMI to DVI adapter. Unfortunately, that still leaves me with no audio. Here are some things I have been thinking of to get the setup working:

1. Connect the revue to my speaker system using an Optical audio to analog audio converter (see here.)

2. Get an A/V receiver and connect the optical audio to it, and then have my speakers connected to the receiver

3. Get an inexpensive bluray player (suggestions?) that have HDMI in and out, and then connect my speakers to the (hopefully available) audio out connectors.

Here's my question: which setup do YOU think would be the least expensive to obtain in the mean time? Or do you have any suggestions of your own?

Thank you all for your help! :)

2. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

What is your main source for programing in your system?

3. hollywood

hollywood New Member

What are you referring to?

4. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Cable,Satellite,OTA, other STB?

5. hollywood

hollywood New Member

Actually, I don't use cable or anything like that.... I watch movies, Netflix, and Hulu. (As well as iTunes movies/TV shows, and Amazon VoD, occasionally....)

6. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Ah, IPTV. I would favor method 2:AVR. You need a 'heart' to connect your peripherals, and those peripherals (projector, stb's, optical drives,etc.) are subject to change, as well as their associated connection methods. I'd look at Onkyo refurbished store: Club Onkyo to get a low-cost (but NOT low-end!) AVR that closely matches your existing connections, but future-proof too. G'Luck!

I just checked, and currently this is a good deal at $199.00 (nyet! no HDMI OR component!-sorry)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  7. hollywood

hollywood New Member

If you know of one for under $100, that would be a lot easier on my budget. :)

But thank you for the suggestion! i didn't find anything in my price range.

8. hollywood

hollywood New Member

If anyone else wants to chip in on this, they are more then welcome to...

9. DarkArm

DarkArm New Member

A late chip in...
    I have a Sony rear projection that only has DVI input which does not include audio. I use an HDMI - DVI cable for video and then I use the Gefen GTV-DIGAUD-2-AAUD that you mentioned to convert the S/PIDF output from the Revue into RCA which I then feed in to my TV for audio. Obviously my set up is slightly different but I can report the Gefen convertor works perfectly as long as one remembers to set the Revue into PCM audio mode.