Quantcast

March Madness Live on Co-Star??

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by LeadingMan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. LeadingMan

LeadingMan New Member

I see Turner has an Android app for all NCAA Tournament games, but it shows not compatible with Co-Star. Anybody know if it can be downloaded and side loaded? Or another option?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. There was a thread about March madness on GTV just the other day. The best option appears to be accessing the NCAA March Madness web site with the GTV Chrome browser. The live feeds from CBS were confirmed working on my Logitech Revue. I don't know if the feeds from TNT & TBS will work. Those require verification that you subscribe to a TV package to log-in. The CBS feed requires no verification.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/7482-march-madness-live.html

• Like Like x 2
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Just tried sideloading this app on both my co-star and G2, tried both downloading on my phone, backing up and pushing to each device as well as the apk provided in the aforementioned thread. Both attempts resulted in an immediate closure by the app stating Portrait mode not available, press any key to exit. The app would close without any input.
    The app on my phone is a bit easier to navigate compared to the chrome version on the GTV, was hoping for a similar experience on the GTV.
    This is not to say it can't be done, just I am not having any luck. I personally don't have enough interest to continue much testing but wanted to provide my experience to the OP.

• Like Like x 2
  5. LeadingMan

LeadingMan New Member

Thanks for the attempts and feedback...

6. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Turns out if you install a Rotation Locker, and force Portrait mode, you can trick the app into loading, unfortunately there are no more games on for the night so I cant test streaming. I found a rotation locker pretty easily with a google search.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. ChrisG8

I am going to check out this service with the Wichita State University vs. Pittsburg game today. WSU is my alma mater and CBS is showing the Michigan State game locally here. I don't have any idea how it will work. I don't have any side loaded apps, will use the Chrome web browser but I might start side loading apps if it will work better in this case. If I have 4 hours of service with the site, I can at least watch a game and a half today. I am OTA only and will be excluded from the March Madness site after my 4 hours, assuming I get the 4 hours. If WSU wins, guess my girlfriend will want to watch basketball and we will see if she can sign up and get 4 hours using a different Google TV box in a couple of days.

Go Shockers!

8. ChrisG8

So far no luck for me, I got a foul called on me and was sent to the FAQ. I went to the site with the Chrome web browser. This is what I found:

I may try the side loaded app right now.

9. CatfishRivers

Chris the CBS live feeds from the NCAA web site are working on my Logitech Revue (OS 3.1). I was just watching the Michigan State VS Valparaiso game on my Revue. The first minute or so the screen was black and I only heard audio while a commercial played. Then the video loaded up great. Maybe I got "lucky" that my Revue is stuck on the 3.1 update? LOL

March Madness Live

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  10. ChrisG8

See if you can get the Wichita St. game, I watched a few minutes of the Michigan St. game on CBS with TiVo, no interest in watching more.

11. CatfishRivers

Chris I tried the Wichita St. game and got the same "Technical Foul" message that you did (instructing me to go to the FAQ page). However I noticed that the Wichita St. game is a feed from TBS. The TBS & TNT feeds require a TV subscription verification - and even then I never claimed that the TNT & TBS feeds would work with GTV. I clearly stated that the CBS feeds are working with my Logitech Revue.

12. ChrisG8

I understand, I hoped the TNT and TBS games would slide in under the four hour rule.

13. ChrisG8

I am able to watch the Wichita St. game using a PC so that is what I am doing. I believe the Google TV inability is as a result of the Chrome browser version.

14. ChrisG8

If anybody is able to get the Wichita State game playing on Google TV at the NCAA.com March Madness site, I would like to hear about it. The PC is working fine but I would prefer to use Google TV, the picture quality might be a little better.

15. CatfishRivers

Chris have you tried sideloading the March Madness app that Wisdom posted about? I haven't tried it on my Revue but he says it works on the Co-Star.

16. ChrisG8

I did try it, installed on an NSZ-GT1. I haven't used any side loaded apps so it could be my fault but it doesn't work for me. I side loaded an orientation control app, set it to landscape, installed the MM app and it immediately force closed when I opened it. I tried portrait, same result. I don't think it can play the game I want in any event so I moved to a PC.

Wichita State is blowing Pitt away, good news. Next up will be Gonzaga, number 1 rated team in the country.

17. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Yeah I havent been able to get a video to play either, I get to the point of pressing play then it force closes, of course that was a TBS stream and I had not entered provider information. I will try again with a non provider login required stream and see what happens, of course this is all on my LG G2 so might be dif on the costar.

18. ChrisG8

The Wichita St game was a TBS game, I don't have cable and I played it using a PC. I am not sure of the rules regarding streaming the games but someone at another forum told me I would have 4 hours before being blocked. The FAQ regarding why games won't stream sure seems to indicate to me, at least for that TBS game, Google TV needs a newer version of the Chrome Browser or Flash Player or both.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

I agree, I will have to try on the costar to see as well, I just tried a CBS feed with the same result. Does the Sony have a built in media player that functions with DLNA similar to playpoint? I know the LG doesn't, that could be the issue too, guess we will find out...im off to the costar :D

20. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Force closes for me on the costar, but as someone pointed out last night, I don't know what I am doing ;)