Quantcast

Making the best GTV box with the NSZ-GS7 (Canada)

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by likeabeach, Apr 22, 2013.

1. likeabeach

likeabeach New Member

I have recently purchased the Sony NSZ-GS7. I have been an android tablet user for years and my boys (8 and 9) have just received their own tablets for Christmas. I was looking for something that was flexible, familiar and easy to learn (sitter friendly). I've toyed around with XMBC and a Boxee, neither gave me what I was looking for. I am a Sony fan so it was an easy decision when this unit was on sale at Futureshop (score for $170). This is my post describing the paths I have taken to mold this little beauty into the best GTV box it can be. Let's lay some ground work.

Hardware
    Sony GTV stb (NSZ-GS7 - Canadian version)
    Panasonic 42" Plasma (TH-42PZ77U)
    Denon AV Receiver (AVR-990)
    Panasonic Blu-ray Player (DMP-BD35)
    Nintendo Wii
    no cable or sat box (want to add OTA HD later)
    DLink Wireless Router (DIR-825)
    HP Laptop with Windows 8
    Desktop with Windows 8
    Family Room - 15' x 25'

Core Goals
    Netflix & Youtube streaming
    Movie, TV, Music streaming from the internet
    Movie, TV, Music streaming from my desktop
    anything else is bonus (and boy did I find alot of bonus')

....keep tuned for my second post......"Look and Feel".

• Like Like x 2
  2. likeabeach

likeabeach New Member

The Sony box comes with an "ok" interface, but I was looking for something more flexible. Something more like a standard droid. Something were live wallpaper and widgets can live and breath. Enter a "Launcher". I have side loaded ADW Launcher EX v1.3.3.8 successively. This provides me with the look and flexible that I was hoping for. Sure, you loose a couple of neat features (like that fade to black when switching apps), but the trade off is worth it, multiple desktops, transitions, able to show and hide icons.

I have also side loaded HD Widgets 3.9.4 which provides much nicer weather and time/date widgets.

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yes, I use Launcher Pro, Open Launcher and at times, the default home. W/Open Launcher you can use it as your default after choosing the launcher you want your Live Wallpaper to display. This way your wallpaper will show through the open launcher. When you hit back, you can access yer widgets and multiple launcher screens. The only drawback is that when you do a restart you'll need to clear defaults on the open launcher. Or you can choose not to set a default.

One great feature w/Open Launcher is that like the default launcher it overlays the page w/out forcing media content to disconnect. The default launcher does this also but is less flexible than Open Launcher. But having access to shortcuts ya wanna treat as Apps makes the default launcher a useful tool.

Carl

• Like Like x 2