Quantcast

Major networks blocking streams

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by bradrice, Dec 28, 2011.

1. bradrice

bradrice New Member

Why do all the major networks block Google TV on their streaming sites? If I can go there in my computer browser and watch, why can't I in my Google TV browser?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The networks are relying on the fact that it is more cost prohibitive and not convenient as a "cheap $99 set-top box". That's exactly why they're resisting Google TV and other similar set-top boxes. They just don't want their content that easily accessible for free, otherwise it reduces its monetary value that the channel line providers are willing to pay. Although, some networks are starting to embrace "authenticated access" which provides proof that your subscribing from a channel line provider. It allows their customers to experience added value in their subscription by allowing wider access options without reducing the value of content.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am still waiting for an official statement from the networks blocking Google TV, explaining the reasons for doing so. If it makes sense to provide programing paid by advertisers for PC users, it makes sense to provide programing for Google TV users in the same manner. I am not sure it makes sense in either case really but if it is just out of fear of Google TV doing harm to their business, at least Google TV is designed to be used with an STB accessing the programming by a traditional channel whenever possible, cable, satellite or OTA. A PC user can avoid any pay service or any traditional method of watching network programming and seems to me to more likely to avoid the revenue generating viewing model. If I was an advertiser paying for programming provided over the internet, I believe I could come up with effective ads for Google TV viewers just as I could for PC viewers.

I would like to see some studies that show Google TV users are a desirable market, that should end the practice. I believe Google TV users own HDTVs, home theaters, surround systems, and have disposable income. I don't know what kind of consumer watches TV on a PC. Right now when my girlfriend wants to watch something from a blocked site, I have a laptop with HDMI out running through Google TV to accomplish that goal. I say piss on the companies that are annoying me with this underhanded tactic personally so I don't view any programming from blocked sites.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jTV

jTV New Member

really? are they blocking Boxee and Roku? both natively play Hulu...

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, really! Both of those platforms have Hulu Plus, not the free Hulu service available to Macs and PCs. Hulu Plus is a paid service which has a subset of content plus a superset of content not available on the free Hulu service.

6. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

I think that is the whole problem. I don't think the networks WANT to block the content... they just aren't prepared to deal with it. Think how long it was between the time internet broadband became available and the time full length network broadcasts were available on the networks websites. Broadband started getting big, what, about 10 years ago? Streaming network television from the network's websites have only been big for, what, 2, 3 years?

Network television has a lot of shareholders involved, advertisers, cable broadcasters, satellite broadcasters, actors unions... When a new technology like internet TV comes out, its going to take time to work out the details so that everyone is happy.