Quantcast

Magic Remote BUG

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by Triker, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Triker

Triker New Member

:mad:
    Bought the 55LA6970 3D TV. It comes with the Magic Remote. The model remote that I have is the AN-MR400P. I checked their web site and it isn't listed, pictured or referred to any place I can find.

It (Magic Remote) has a MAJOR BUG!

It can be used to turn on the power to your TV the first time out of the box (both TV & Remote). However... as soon as you "register the remote with the TV", the On/Off button ceases to function. And, if you "de-register" it (hold the Smart & Back buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds), then the On/Off button will now turn your TV ON or OFF. The reason I know this is because I called their tech support, reported that my remote would NOT turn the TV ON or OFF. They had me try several things, concluded that the remote was defective and sent me another. When I received it, I read the directions on set-up again and tried to "register" it. Failed, due I'm sure to the fact that the OLD remote was still "registered". So, I de-registered it (using the process mentioned previously). Then, I registered the NEW remote. This process is simple. Stand near the TV (with it already turned on), hit the OK button (wheel) and the message that it is being registered appears on the screen. Tried the On/Off button. Would not work. Quite by accident, I picked up the OLD (de-registered) remote and hit the On/Off button. TV went OFF. I now have two Magic Remotes. One is "registered" and is used for everything except turning the TV On or Off. The OLD remote I use for one function only. Turn the TV ON or Off.

I've now reported this fact to LG (via a chat) and the techie promised to escalate the problem up the chain. Will it be fixed? Remains to be seen. I would say this means LG has a serious gap in their Quality testing department.

Anyone else had this experience?

2. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

first off....you are in the wrong forum. This forum is for Google TV. you do not have a Google TV. you have an LG Smart TV. luckily i might still be able to help you.

im sure you are the first case with this specific issue as i have not heard of it before. to me it sounds like IR sensor on the TV deactivates once the remote is registered. the 'Power' function is IR and the remainder of the remotes functionality is via RF (actually uses a form of Bluetooth).

i suspect that its not the remote but the TV. have you tried 'initial setting' (found in the options menu)?...or....this would require service. most likely they would replace the main board and im sure that would resolve it.

keep in mind that just because you have an issue does not automatically mean that everyone must have it and that its a major issue.

3. Triker

Triker New Member

So I'm in the wrong forum. Big deal. Google sent me here from a search regarding LG Smart TV Magic Remotes.

OK, the problem is solved. LG solved it by releasing a new software update to the TV. The new software was installed and the remote On/Off button began working immediately. This apparently WAS a BUG that everyone had or the wouldn't have bothered fixing it. Incidentally, I never report problems that are simple. I usually figure them out for myself. Secondly, the exact same problem was exhibited on TWO different (new) Magic Remotes. True, the problem could have been with the TV, except why would it work with a de-registered remote? Why did the button on the TV work? The only non-working feature/button was the On/Off button on the remote and only after it had been registered. Most likely culprit? SOFTWARE. Thanks for the response anyway.
    Thanks LG. One can only hope that Google TVs are supported as well as LG does its job.

4. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

ok so to answer some of your questions.
    im sure you can blame google for posting in the wrong forum.
    so it seems that the latest update 04.00.34 was a maintenance update that fixed a few minor bugs, but mainly it fixed an issue with Bing.com on the browser and some remote features. so yes it looks like LG will even address minor bugs like this one.
    the Registration process is for the cursor aspect of the Magic Remote. you see, that remote communicates to the TV using IR (InfraRed) AND RF (radio Frequency - actually its a form of Bluetooth). the Power feature uses IR while the remainder of the functions use the RF functionality. so when you de-registered that prevented from everything except the power command to work. essentially it seems as thought the TV was getting confused as to which remote to respond to, is what it sounds like.

the button on the TV should ALWAYS work regardless of issues with the remote or the sensor on the TV, the fact that the button on the TV worked means nothing here. now, if it did not work, THEN you can say there is a problem.

im glad it was resolved for you. at least we were both looking in the right direction. have fun with your awesome TV!