Quantcast

Lurker joined to share this advice...Don't buy a Co-Star.

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by PopWhatMagnitude, Nov 9, 2013.

1. PopWhatMagnitude

PopWhatMagnitude New Member

Hey all, you have been very helpful here. The biggest tip that can be given is don't buy a Co-Star. I bought one in June, never really had an issue with it, I could gripe about minor things but I only used it for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video so it was fine. Until a couple weeks ago. While watching my cable feed it seemed as if the video and audio was skipping like it was being rapidly paused and unpaused. I unplugged the unit and did a hard reset, the boot up screen loaded fine and then I would get a screen full of blue horizontal lines on black and static audio, every 5-10 seconds the cable feed would briefly come through with audio and video then go back to static, it would repeat this. After multiple resets it began to work again, then would repeat the issues. Over and Over, same thing nothing would fix it. The unit is dead, just as everyone elses around here. I contacted Vizio by email with a detailed explanation, their response to contact them through chat help or call. I do that, once again give a detailed explanation of the problem, the CSR seems to not read anything from the form I filled out and asks all the expected questions. Then tells me the 90 day warranty is up so they won't fix it and I'll have to buy another one. I ask if he is aware that the units are dying left and right, he answers that he can't speak for other customers. Long story short, these units are failing at XBOX 360 levels, Vizio doesn't care, and there customer service it terrible. I have a Chromecast on the way, and will never purchase a Vizio product again. I wanted to love this product so bad, it's a shame Vizio doesn't share the same passion for it. I can't wait for this Vizio TV I have to finish failing so I can get all of there products out of my house. Now I have to go apologize to my dad for insisting he bought a Vizio tv.

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

That was a lie!!! The actual Vizio warranty is based on a defective device that not only can be replaced but can be returned at anytime. Has Vizio finally lost their minds???

Dude, ya wanna return that device. Simply call them and tell them the problems you are having. In their e-mail response the 8itches, oops, I mean the CSRs will try to offer you a replacement unit. Your refusal will take you to another section (if memory serves) of the Vizio call Menu. There, they will take your complaint and give you a ticket number and the return requirements that will be mailed to you. The actual return label will be sent regular mail.

If any of the above has been revised due to time or a change in Vizio policy, be sure to continue to call Vizio Customer support and don't let them felonious perpetrators off the hook.

Dude, they knew...

Sorry, Carl

3. PopWhatMagnitude

PopWhatMagnitude New Member

Thanks for the advice and good for anyone else reading this, but unfortunately I bought a refurbished unit from Amazon, so the 90 days is probably true. Which is extra annoying considering in the 6 months I have owned it I have had to reset it 20+ times and get pestered with the apparently pointless warranty form. The Co-Star is back from the dead, again. We will see how long it lasts this time. My Chromecast arrived today, and I gave and set up the Co-Star for my mom to use Netflix to see if it's worth buying her something else when the Co-Star dies again. I expect numerous phone calls about how to work it and it's not working. I shouldn't have posted this while heated from my bad CSR experience, however I stand by my statement to skip the Co-Star, I bought a refurb for $40, now even those are double the price, I got mine right as the latest update was rolling out. But even for $40 I'd not recommend it, just too much of a headache.

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna say whether the Co-Star is a worthy investment for everyone. I know some very trusted members of this group that swear by it. But of all the units I've tried out the Vizio Co-Star was the worst. First, it was the only new device that did not Auto-install my Apps & bookmarks even tho I had them synced and set to Restore on my Logitech Revue. The channel line-up just wouldn't keep. An hour or so after I went through the trouble of going through over 200 channels, I'd come back and they would be gone.

Immediately after I powered up the Co-Star I knew from the feel that the device would be troublesome. Many folks have never experienced GTV on another device like the Revue & GS-7. Once you try one of those you'll know what I mean. But don't try out (buy) the Logitech Revue as it is no longer supported.

But to all ya'll Co-Star enthusiasts, this is only a non-tech opinion based soley on the 5 GTV units I tried out.

So, to each their own...

Carl

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course Vizio didn't manufacture the Co-Star, it is likely manufactured at the same facility by the same Chinese OEM that manufactured other Google TV units. Vizio did some unique things with the Co-Star to differentiate it from other models, none of which I like. If you purchased the Co-Star for $40 from Amazon, I am pretty sure that was a customer return, not a refurbished unit and the warranty terms are as described by Amazon and it will not qualify for the manufacturer warranty unless the buyer can somehow slip the facts about the unit by Vizio. Assuming my conclusion is correct, if the original owner registered the Co-Star with Vizio, then Vizio knows the truth and can't be fooled. In any event, Vizio is right to stand their ground and not provide warranty for Amazon customer returns, there can be no control over what has been done by the original owner.

I also purchased a customer returned Co-Star from Amazon, tested it out, and have used it sparingly over the last 6 months or so. I can say I like it, but I like it less than the other Google TV models I have owned because of the Vizio designed differences. I have not noticed overheating issues as has been described by other owners but I keep it in the open and well ventilated, it is sightly warm to the touch but not noticeably different than the others. I also own a Chromecast, it doesn't do enough of what I want from an internet streaming device and I don't use it at all since I tested it out. I am hopeful the promised new apps will be added and it will become useful, if not, it will be just another item I have purchased, kept and not really used.