Quantcast

Loud static noise when fast forwarding, or changing channels

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by LicensedNERD, Dec 22, 2012.

1. LicensedNERD

LicensedNERD New Member

I think I have some setting wrong because I get a very loud popping, screeching sound when after I fast forward, or change channels when using DVR with google tv.

What have I got wrong. Using Sony surround sound.

TIA

2. LES017

LES017 New Member

I wonder if it's a bad unit, or else is a common problem that others (like me) haven't reported. Mine does the same thing, except it's really just a minor pop, and barely noticeable. I'd wait for others to chime in and then maybe consider returning for replacement.

3. LicensedNERD

LicensedNERD New Member

I changed some of the Sound settings, and it appears now that some of them were causing the noise. Frustrating, but not a deal breaker. I couldn't be happier. Google tv rocks! And now that it doesn't screech, chirp or squack it is much better.

4. LES017

LES017 New Member

Excellent!

5. phlunkie

phlunkie New Member

What settings did you change?

6. abellemare44

abellemare44 New Member

What settings did you change?

Thank's

Alain

7. phlunkie

phlunkie New Member

well since op is not interested in helping, I think i may have stumbled on some settings.
    I have comcast and inside of the setup is some compression settings. playing with these settings causes changes to the noise level. I will look over the weekend and try some settings and I WILL RESPOND BACK. i promise. *not the settings on the sony*

8. LicensedNERD

LicensedNERD New Member

In the "Picture & Sound" settings, I choose "Noise reduction", and set it to "High". Under The "Sound" settings, in the "Audio output(HDMI)" section I choose PCM. (I confess I don't even know what that means, but that's what I chose. BTW, I wrote down the settings before I changed them, in case I fouled something up and could change them back.) The "Audio output(Optical)" is UNCHECKED.
    "Audio pass-through" is set to OFF. "Audio DRC" is ON. Your mileage may vary, I won't pretend to say I know what I'm doing, BUT, These settings now produce silent, (no pop, crackle, siss, or screech) when I fast forward or change channels etc. Sorry i took so long getting back to you.

• Like Like x 4
  9. phlunkie

phlunkie New Member

Thank you for responding. It helped me also. Again, thank you.

10. abellemare44

abellemare44 New Member

Thank'S now no crackle or anything else with the sound, it's perfect, Thank's

I wantto know, since I have made these changes (Sound parameters) when i reboot the NSZ-GS7 it freeze on the image and I have the sound and i cannot do anything, i have to reboot, but every reboot land on the same problem, image TV is freeze and I have the sound. To be OK, I have to reboot and click and hold the HOME button on my remote and now everything is working well, that's very bizarre!

I think I will do a factory reset, but if someone else have that, what do you do to bypass that?

Thank's

P.S. Before changing the settings, I have side-loaded GMAIL app 4.1 and the system crash, I have uninstall it but I have made the sound parameteres change in the same time, now I don't know if ti's the sound parameter or because I have installed GMAIL app !!

11. tommy519

tommy519 New Member

I have a similar problem with the optical feed. Even changing settings, it still crackles when I change channels or fast forward. (Works fine through the HDMI) Is there a magic combination of settings to make the pop/scratch go away? or is there a problem with the optical feed to my receiver? Thanks!