Quantcast

Loosing Internet connection although Wifi is still connected

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by berke, Jul 23, 2012.

1. berke

berke New Member

I recently started to experience this problem. Usually while I'm watching something on Netflix (sometime happens while browsing using Chrome too) the internet connection is lost. Wifi is still connected and other wifi devices at home are working fine, but google TV can not access any content. The only solution I could find so far is to go to wifi settings and disconnect the device, then reconnect and connection comes back. But sometimes it becomes so frustrating that I need to do this 4-5 times during a movie.

Any ideas what may be the root cause and how can it be solved?

Thanks in advance.

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Check your router as more then likely that is the problem. Most routers tend to have a way to make a rule for each device called address reservation or something to that affect that you can set so your devices don't keep dropping the signal when the router does its thing.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I certainly have nothing against ethernet or power line adapters but I have about 15 devices connected by Wi-Fi, including 3 different Google TV boxes, no issues at all with maintaining connection to the router. I use inexpensive routers and $30/month AT&T U-verse 12Mbps service. Previously I had Comcast Xfinity and a different inexpensive router, no issues at all, so my thought it is Google TV can work with Wi-Fi just fine. I also use Vudu over Wi-Fi, much more demanding than any streaming using Google TV. As far as local files, I don't have much but I do use PlayOn/PlayLater, DLNA server and PC based streaming DVR. When I switched from Comcast Xfinity using an inexpensive ZyXEL router, I had planned to install a dual band Wireless-N router but the U-verse Gateway with built in Wireless-G works great so simple is always best for someone like me that isn't a network administrator by any stretch. The house is a 2,800 sq ft 2 story with some distance between router and farthest device on the network. I am alway surprised when I read about problems, the ZyXEL Wireless-G router worked for over 4 years, not a single instance of downtime I could attribute to the router, all downtime has been caused by service outages and there fortunately wasn't much of that.

If you want to make Wi-Fi work, it should be workable.

5. slimbo2.0

slimbo2.0 New Member

i'm sorta having the same problem. all of a sudden the "search" and "google chrome" went down on my google.tv and i can no longer access the internet even though i have wifi signal. it says i'm connected to the internet also. when it first went down it kept giving me a "forceclose" message, now after i've tried resetting factory settings, rebooting and powering off/on it doesn't do anything. the search doesn't respond and any app just shows a white screen and nothing happens.

anyone have ny other ideas? any help would be awesome. thanks

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try doing a factory reset of your router.

7. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

I'd had a lot of trouble with playing video content on my GT which is wirelessly connected,the router being in the kitchen and the GT being in the bedroom.

I solved my problem with a range extender. I can now play all video from YouTube with the exception of HD videos;the HD videos on YouTube automatically reset to a lower resolution. (App version only;must manually reset with browser version.)

Maybe a range extender might help you also.

8. berke

berke New Member

I'm using a D-Link router, I'm also suspicious about the router. This has started happening more since I added more devices to my wifi network. I currently have around 11 devices, but 8 of them constantly connected. But the main question remains is "why only GTV but not the other devices loosing connection? Indeed I've had some instances when other devices did the same thing but only once or twice and every time GTV also lost the connection at the same time. I have tried IP reservation, it didn't help. When I connect to the router while it's happening, everything seems to be fine. No IP conflicts, Internet seems to be connected, interface works fine, WiFi signal is good etc. I'll probably need to try with another wireless router.

9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Berke,
    If you get a new router you may as well get a good one that allows you to plug in a hard drive to it and stream from the router if it's not out of your price range as that way you could put movies or tv shows on it and stream it to the tv without worry :)