Quantcast

Looks Like Web TV Is Going To Be As Expensive As Cable - Unless You Use An Antenna

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 6, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Looks like web TV is going to be as expensive as cable — unless you use an antenna — Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

Looks like web TV is going to be as expensive as cable — unless you use an antenna

by Janko Roettgers - Oct. 6, 2014

SUMMARY: Dish wants you to use an antenna for local broadcast channels to keep the price of its internet TV service down. Sony on the other hand is reportedly eyeing a $60 to $80 price tag.

-- Web-based TV services were supposed to cater to cord cutters and others looking for alternatives to the expensive cable bundle. Now it looks like as if these services are going to be just as pricey as cable. The New York Post reported Sunday that Sony is looking at a $60 to $80 price tag for its TV service, which is supposed to launch before the end of the year, according to the paper.

And Dish’s internet TV service, which is likely going to be called Nutv, may not be that much cheaper — at least not if you want access to local channels as well. Dish is looking to offer broadcast channels like ABC and NBC for an extra fee on top of the basic subscription price, according to a Variety report.

See more at: Looks like web TV is going to be as expensive as cable — unless you use an antenna — Tech News and Analysis

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The hardest part about Google Fiber isn’t digging ditches, but buying TV rights — Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

The hardest part about Google Fiber isn’t digging ditches, but buying TV rights

by Janko Roettgers - Oct. 6, 2014

-- You thought that building out all that physical infrastructure is what has been slowing down Google Fiber’s expansion? Think again: Google Fiber head Milo Medin has called TV rights the “the single biggest impediment” to growing Fiber, according to the Wall Street Journal, which also quotes Medin saying that TV has been “the single biggest piece of our cost structure.” The problem is that Google, in order to win over cable customers, has to offer the same channels as the competition. But as a newcomer, it has to pay up to twice as much for some of the rights. No wonder internet TV ventures like the ones from Sony and Dish are
    struggling to keep costs under control.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Traditional pay TV offers nothing like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, or some of the free advertising paid streaming services like Crackle. If you want everything that comes with a cable or satellite pay TV package and will only use legal services, I don't think internet TV packages like that will cost much less, especially when data usage is considered.

Despite the popular perception by some that cable TV companies are evil thieves, the price for traditional pay TV has gone up because the content owners need a lot of money to provide the content. On the other hand if you can be happy with Netflix and an antenna for local live TV, cable prices do seem outrageous. Missing are services like HBO and some live sports but hopefully HBO GO and WatchESPN will be available without a traditional pay TV subscription in the not too distant future.

Recent offers by Comcast, U-verse and maybe others mean you can get those services bundled with internet during year long promotions, possibly receiving what you want without a big pay TV package. Whether those services will be available separately by the time the promotions end is a long shot at this time but I think it is coming in a few years.

4. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, lol, those two articles certainly demonstrate that the providers and content producers are an outrageous cabal and legislative reforms to ensure a competitive, free market in the industry are decades overdue.

Even Google itself is being blocked from participating in the market with unfair business practices by "the cabal."

Sorry, but it's laughable to think that this closed industry is "just getting by" and has to charge these nutty prices. These thieves are making it hand over fist and they sell their same product multiple times and not only by subscription but with relentless advertising on top of it.

It's that same cabal of cable/content providers, only on the internet. It shouldn't be that way.

5. ChrisG8

Ha, another nonsense post. If any of that is true, go ahead and file legal action, it should be easy to prevent it. It is against the law and the government will stop it, prove your case. Since it is nothing more than another whining rant, none of it is true, I am sure you will do nothing except whine here.

6. Travel

Travel Active Member

Lol, of course it's true, they're doing it, duh. Read the articles.

What they're doing is not against the law, that's why I said there needs to be legislation. And if you don't think Hollywood content producers and the cable companies and the U.S. media don't have mega, political-lobbying power, think again.

7. ChrisG8

Your claims of price fixing, blocking Google from entering the market, etc. all are claims of illegal acts, laws are on the books to prevent all of it.

Read an opinion article on the internet to learn that your absurd claims are all true? Hilarious, I guess that is how you learned all of your so called facts, you read something on the internet. Along with your endless nonsense about how consumers must pay whatever cable companies might ask for services, they don't have any choice, you come to some really silly conclusions based on nothing. Those pay TV companies are all thieves, unbelievable profits, the same thing you said about Sony in the thread about the service Sony is trying to start up. Go ahead and look at DirecTV and Sony profits for support for your silly claims.

Here is one for you, the world is flat, go to a website that discusses that fact, you read it right here, link this post.

8. Travel

Travel Active Member

Seriously, you haven't foggiest idea of what you're talking about.

The articles are reporting documented facts. It's not someone's opinion. Also, it isn't as if this is anything new and these are the only articles on the subject.

Of course it's true, they're doing it, duh. Read the articles.

What they're doing is not against the law, that's why I said there needs to be legislation. And if you don't think Hollywood content producers and the cable companies and the U.S. media don't have mega, political-lobbying power, think again.

9. ChrisG8

I responded to your posts, my response to the article is above your post. Your posts was more of your silly the sky is falling nonsense. The idiotic claims of thievery and cabals and excessive profits based on nothing you like to repeat are what annoy me and my concern someone might actually believe your nonsense if it stands unchallenged. I doubt if anybody else could believe the silly statements. I guess you didn't come up with any making money hands over fists support I asked you to provide.

10. Travel

Travel Active Member

Priceless.

Do you or does a close relative of yours work for a cable company?

They are a cabal of thieves, and they are price gouging the American public, and they are blocking competitive free enterprise from the industry.