Quantcast

looks like there is a new google play market being pushed..

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Scuzzo, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

the good news... there is a new google tv play market being pushed... it matches both the android pc version and the tablet version.. which are one in the same... thats the good news..
    the bad? its still the same stale offering for the google tv... same 120 or so apps... same lack of development.. same dead end fork of android... you may be happy about all that,...
    but its just sad that a device with so much potential is so ham strung.... but the new market looks just like the real market... so thats something... i guess.. for what its worth..
    i would wait until Google IO.. to see where google tv is going before i bought any sony or well.. thats the only one i would consider... the cube is just stupid with all its cpu sapping graphic bloat... if i wanted a good launcher i would just get one from the market and not some asus idea of a marketing ploy to tie in with shape of the device... good thing it dose not look like a chicken... and the co star? nope... no thanks... but at least there is a new google tv market... new apps? not so much.

2. KenP

KenP New Member

The real problem isn't GTV. Although, it remains Android's ugly stepchild.

The real problem is with content providers. You can watch more with a PC connected than you can with GTV and this can be laid at the feet of those media providers. Apps are a gimmick appealing to our prurient gratification. It is GTV and not a PS3 or whatever. Going beyond that with apps is just icing on the cake and wasted calories in being viable as our STB.

3. twospirits

twospirits Member

I agree that content providers is the number one issue that is holding back the system. Just by looking at the excellent charts provided by revue5 here, one can see that alot of content is missing from the current crop of GTV boxes. Currently the only one that has the most is the non-GTV device Roku 3. But I also feel that lack of content providers is not the only thing hindering the system. As much as I love Google TV and my Sony NSZ-GS7, I still feel that the Sony is like a Nexus 1 with a few 2-3 Eclair updates. Its good, gets the job done but can be way better with a better operating system instead of the beta like/honeycomb version it now has.
    A few things I think that the systems needs or needs to do.

Lack of apps, development.
    If I am not mistaken, it can be a matter of one or two lines of code that can make any Android App be seen and work in Google TV, but not all apps can or would look right on the big screen (compared to 3 to 5 inch size phones or even tablets). So I feel that Google needs to make it more easier and enticing for developers to create GTV apps that work/adapt or look better on the big screen. Be that financial incentive or through of easier tools.

Gaming
    With as big as Google is both in resources as well as financially, I feel it needs to create/buy or partner with a Gaming outfit that would bring much better gaming capabilities to the system. Since Sony is already a partner, having playstation capability would make sense, but that may lead to problems with other partners/makers. Mind you I'm not a gamer but only going by the responses of folks that have used my system and feel that it needs something more.
    One can use their existing phone as a game controller if need be.

Add-ons
    Another area I feel it lacks (and yet the first Logitech had it) is additional add-ons such as webcams, a good game controller other than the remote/phone, etc.

System wide use of existing apps/games
    A system update can introduce either one of the following...
    1-multiple window capability (like what Samsung does with its Galaxy series), or a
    2-floating window
    That would allow for the user to open up any android app/game not having GTV capability. Sort of what the Android SDK does using a emulator. This would open up the majority (if not all) of the play store to be used on GTV.

Restart the Nexus GTV hardware program
    If the Nexus phone is to showcase what Google thinks can be done to phones, then it needs to introduce a Nexus GTV version.
    Granted, personally myself I feel that a Nexus phone isn't as flagship as the current crop of phones out there right now, but at least it symbolizes what Google feels a phone should do. The same should apply to a Nexus GTV device, and for the love of all holy, don't make it an odd shape like a circle, orb, triangle or cube, (Although personally a freestanding X would look cool as heck) lol and of course make it not so expensive like the original Nexus Q.

DVR Capability
    With future hardware set-top boxes (those that will be introduced after the newer features outlined at Google I/O next month) one of the things I wouldn't mind seeing is DVR and placeshifting (Slingbox like) features that current GTV devices lack. With Google buying the HTPC software maker SageTV back in 2011, it has at its disposal the capability to make the next GTV set-top box into a fully functional Google TV/DVR. While Google doesn't always turn every outfit it acquires into a Google project but this one I believe should be part of Google's GTV roadmap eventually.

TS

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Roku doesn't have YouTube, Internet Archive, ESPN3 and maybe 30 sites only accessible by a web browser I use. For my needs Google TV blows Roku away but Roku does several things both do, either better or easier and Roku has Hulu Plus, in case I want to pay for Hulu Plus. I never have had a paid Hulu Plus subscription but have used the free trial and like the service. Currently I just use the basic Hulu service through PlayOn/PlayLater with Google TV/Vimu. I like Roku a lot but I believe it is more popular than Google TV because it is easier to use, not because it can do more since it clearly can't. I just don't get the criticism of Google TV as not having content, I am a cord cutter and Google TV is easily the best device for my needs for internet streaming, both finding something to watch and playback. For the few things Roku does better or easier, I usually use Roku.

5. googlethis

googlethis New Member

I have had the new Google Play on my Sony NSZ-GS7 a week or so now and it sucks in my opinion. It looked much better and easier to navigate before. Lots of scrolling now because of bigger pictures and lots of links to apps on the main screen result in no connection errors.
    Hopefully they fix this because right now it is pretty terrible.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  6. sharonj

sharonj New Member

The real problem is with content providers. You can watch more with a PC connected than you can with GTV and this can be laid at the feet of those media providers.

7. bidger

bidger Member

True enough, Sharon, but I doubt those companies would want it any other way.