Quantcast

Looks like the Logitech Mods are jumping ship on the revue forum... not that it

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Scuzzo, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

matters that much to me.. i see the revue as a great gadget,, if you are willing to invest some time and research in to what it will and will not do.. but if the mods are jumping ship.. looks like some support directive has been handed down.. no more hours to support the revue, kinda looks bad for a future gtv update... so be it... i just dont have that many flash crashes,, and with those neat services like Symbaloo i really dont see much added value in new apps which are just about package of content any way... but whatever... still a cool little device...

Mods jump ship,, or something..
    Logitech Revue Moderators Gone? - Logitech Forums

i will just have to decide if the sony or the Vizio will be the next purchase... or the samsung..

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I do recall seeing a Logitech statement that the update to Logitech Revue Android 3.2 would happen at some unknown future date so hopefully we see that but as far any further updates or fixes, pretty slim chance at this point would be my conclusion. I can make it do what I need as is, so assuming the last update doesn't screw things up, I will continue to use my 2 until they break.

3. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

I like your outlook ChrisG8. I'm at a similar place with my Sony GTV. Some ppl bash the GTV because it dznt do this and it dznt do that, but the truth is. It really just has to do what suits u the owner. There were a few things originally that I wanted mine to do that it didn't and so I fiddled and fiddled trying to figure out how to make it do it (and that's the great thing about Android, because some kind of improvement is always an option). After finding a few apps and really since the GTV Hack, my TV now does about 95% of what I want it to do, so I'm very satisfied... yeh I'd luv to be able to stream Vudu from a native app, or get some Netflix or other streaming services with surround sound audio or watch a Bluray disc that's in my PC, but hey... those aren't deal breakers (and to be honest, with this platform, maybe only a matter of time).

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think Sony GTV users are in good shape since Sony will continue to support the products. I do not know if Sony will attempt a second generation of Google TV products since I believe the first generation was a money loser and requires further support without any revenue source, not exactly the type of product a company wants. Sell the product at a loss and continue to spend money to maintain the customer base, a few products like that and poof, the company is history.

5. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

From what I hear, SONY is actually gonna come out with a next gen version of GTVs. I think it's obvious to them that the original UI killed the GTV buzz early and (I think) the propaganda machinery has just been amplifying that, but I think they see the potential. I'm just hoping that the next gen's platform is similar enuff to the set I have now so they don't retire it entirely and I can't get any support. Based on how they dropped the prices, I would say tho, that they were definitely trying to offload all that they had produced.

6. WayneLarry

WayneLarry New Member

Sony announced a new product line during CES. New remote w/ voice capabilities. From my understanding, the OS should be a automatic update on previous devices. As a new Sony GTV user, I still feel Google has a lot of work to do. At the very least the entire Google Suite (Calendar, Mail, Maps, Chat, Documents, etc) should have full native integration! The current implementation is a hack job IMO...and I'm for the most part a Google purist.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO the main problem with the first generation of GTV devices was not the UI. Nor was it the remotes. There were 2 major flaws:

1) The initial prices were way too high

2) Not enough content (with the major networks & Hulu blocking GTV).

IMO not much progress has been made on the content front. If there was more content then the devices could perhaps be marketed at higher prices. I think $99 was the sweet spot for a GTV box. At $99 the Revue sold well. So will manufacturers embtace GTV at these prices?

8. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

One would have thought that Google (!!!) would have been able to pull off the right content deals by now (especially with friends like SONY !!!)... it's a shocker!!!

9. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

rant.......

i dont need networks or hulu to tell what i can and cannot watch, because they did not gouge enough cash from me with my cable bill.?.. its just silly. their profit model is just out dated and cannot keep pace with the technology that is over taking it.. and it may be a bit naughty or what ever.. but the internet is a huge place and if you want to see some tv show that hulu deems not a worthwhile platform for them to support... then im more then happy to find other sources.. so.. for me at least.. content is not a concern.... its all out there... if the nets and hulu want to drag there feet on licence or, if google chooses not to make nice... then i will not feel the least bit guilty of viewing the show though alternative resources... and if this revue gets hacked and the bootloader is ripped to shreads... GREAT!! i love the idea... Comcast has more then gotten their pound of flesh... but im a bad guy... so dont follow my example... Hulu ABC, NBC and CBS are entitled to every coin they can squeeze,, and GTV is a threat, 150 a month to comcast,, nope i dont feel that bad about going to the dark side...

mho...

10. WayneLarry

WayneLarry New Member

I have doubts about many companies wanting to sell devices at $99. I think its easier for Apple and Roku to meet those price points as they are not splitting profits. Google needs to increase content and IMO differentiate themselves further. I think that having a web browser is "neat", but not a deal closer for most. With that said I'm happy with my Sony TV...I got it at a great price for an LED TV.

11. CatfishRivers

These are good points. Apple TV and Roku make back-end profits from content sales and advertisement sales. Logitech had no such luxury. So my other suggestion is that if Google can't or won't license more premium content - then they could partially subsidize the hardware to keep prices low (and generate manufacturing interest). They could do this by either marketing their own branded box - or in partnership with other manufacturers. Google would make the money back with advertisement and content sales (the same philosophy that Apple & Roku use in putting out a $99 box).

It's all about perceived VALUE. More content would mean a higher perceived value - which would equate to more manufacturing interest. OR if no new major content deals can be struck - GTV could still be a success if they partially subsidized the hardware. Once again a low enough price equates to a better perceived value.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  12. WayneLarry

WayneLarry New Member

What were the details of Google's purchase of Motorola Mobility? THAT could be the branded box solution Google needs...

13. CatfishRivers

• Like Like x 2
  14. WayneLarry

WayneLarry New Member

WOW...maybe they have something big coming this year on the content side...i'm not sure subsidies are a long-term solution. Motorola would have been a perfect solution... I'm thoroughly confused with that decision!

15. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I'm not sure where the confusion is. Google is anticipating a major move from set top boxes to integrated systems like the Sony GTV. The next step beyond Smart TVs would be to make Cable, Internet, and Media Streaming a fully integrated process. Hence, if the trend holds, DVRs, Cable boxes, Video content players (like Roku), and most if not all settop box systems would inevitably become obsolete. Looking at it in the short term, this would appear not to make sense.

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  16. WayneLarry

WayneLarry New Member

Yes I am looking at the short-term. Google hasn't established themselves in the sector for me to project otherwise. The product isn't consumer friendly yet...no consumer wants to root their TV to watch The Office. If and when Roku and Apple decide to enter the fully integrated setup, why would a consumer not choose them over Google? IMO Google needs 1) $99 solution in the short-term, 2) increase content, and 3) further differentiate themselves from the current offerings.

WL

• Like Like x 2
  17. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi WL

True & well spoken. But I've felt all along that the Logitech Revue and Sony box were just test drives for Google. I think Logitech failed to grasp this. By the time the realization dawned it was too late. I believe we are the true guinea pigs in a cleverly disguised Google laboratory in the wild. I'm just happy for the short ride until their main objective comes along.

In the meantime enjoy!

Carl

18. chopper

chopper Active Member

There will always be the next big thing so enjoy the present and cheer on the future!