Quantcast

looks like google and Asus will make a kindel killer tablet...

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Scuzzo, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

im not much of a news poster guy.. but i will throw this one bit of rumor out there... Google and Asus will be pulling resources together to build the Nexus tablet.. its a bit sketchy as to the specks but it may have a quad core processor / invida graphics not sure about mem or ports or sd slot... but the target price is 150 to 200 bucks.. the Memo is scrapped.. and there is more rumor that a 10 inch tablet nexus will be about 300 bucks.. i will let news hounds run with this.. but i think google economy of scale is amazing.. so.. will google make a HDTV to run against the apple TV that is said to be coming out in the future? dunno..
    but im glad i waited on my tablet purchase... this will really push consumer electronics prices downward... which is always a good thing..

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I had read that Google will partly subsidize the cost of the tablet - so that they can sell it cheap to lowball the Kindle. It makes sense because Google can make the money back in selling content and ads.

I feel they should do the exact same thing for a GTV Box. Apple & Roku are 'lowballing' GTV in terms of price - and while GTV is nice - the first round of hardware proved that consumers weren't willing to pay "high-end" price for it.

One of the major problems thus far with GTV is lack of hardware support. We saw that at reasonable prices (after Sony & Logitech drastically slashed the GTV prices) that sales picked up nicely. Unfortunately at these low prices it's currently not very appealing to hardware manufacturers.

Time for Google to open up the wallet. Either subsidize the GTV hardware or improve GTV by paying Hulu & the networks. If their were more features (content) than people would consider paying a premium over Apple/Roku IMO.

3. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

I bought two Samsung Galaxy Tabss (10.1) a few weeks ago; one for my wife
    and one for me. I'm replying to this thread on it right now.
    We're both having a lot of fun with them. Will be interesting to see what develops.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Google has to do things that make good business sense and subsidizing Google TV hardware is almost certainly not one of the those things. Google can certainly provide some expertise for development of applications and firmware for all companies benefit. I can't see how paying Hulu and the networks would help, wouldn't that just mean that all sites currently allowing Google TV access now can just block Google TV and say Google, pay us too?

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google reportedly paying smart TV vendors to use Android [Update: Google denies] - SlashGear

Apparently Google doesn't think it's such a terrible idea. They're already doing it for android TV. And they will do it for a Google tablet also. (Although they're not likely to publicly admit to it).

Consumers are actually smarter then many people give them credit for - and consumers will only make GTV a success if they perceive it to be a good "value". The Logitech Revue was not a good value at $300. Sales were terrible at that price point. GTV would have more perceived "value" if it offered Hulu. According to the recent report by FixYa - of all the major smart TV devices - GTV offers the poorest value:

Apple TV or Google TV? New Report from FixYa Reveals Top Consumer Issues With The Most Popular Web TV Systems

The fact is that people didn't begin to see the Revue as a "value" product until the price was slashed to $99. Now at the $99 price - Apple and Roku (and even lower than $99 for some Roku models) - partly subsidize their hardware from content sales (itunes, paid channel apps on Roku, advertisements, etc.). At best Apple TV/Roku might make a very slim profit on their hardware. Logitech had no extra revenue from content and ad sales on the Revue. So at $99 the Revue was deemed a losing proposition by Logitech. Sony also discontinued all it's current GTV models after drastically cutting prices.

The truth is Logitech was forced to lower the Revue price to $99 in order to compete with Apple and Roku. And Revue sales did pick up nicely at the $99 price point. However at that price Logitech can't make a go out of it business wise. Do you see any GTV hardware CURRENTLY on the market (other than the discontinued models from Sony & Logitech)? I'll also note that the Apple TV/Roku hardware is generally less expensive to produce than GTV hardware - because they don't have HDMI overlays and a full qwerty keyboard.

The principle that Apple, Roku and even Google to a degree (for android TV & upcoming Google tablet) are abiding by - is that in order to get more devices out in the public - they partly subsidize the hardware - so it is sold at a low price in greater quantity - with the bulk of the profits coming on the "back-end" from content sales and advertisement sales. Amazon also subsizes the Kindle Fire hardware (for these same reasons). IMO it makes perfect business sense.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012