Quantcast

Looking at getting a Google TV

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by HarpoonIPA, Nov 21, 2012.

1. HarpoonIPA

HarpoonIPA New Member

I've owned a Boxee Box for about 2 years now and found out they will only be doing one more update in the coming months. So I figured it's time to breakdown and by a Google TV, I'm looking at these 3. The Hisense Pulse, the Vizio Co-Star and the Sony NSZ-GS7.

My questions are, being that I am Disabled and use a mouth stick for typing are all 3 units I mentioned able to use a wireless USB Keyboard? Because these units keys are very small for the way I need to type.

2nd, would a stylist work on the touch pad of those 3 units mentioned above.

3rd I read that Android apps can be used with the Google TV, is that totally accurate?

And last, which unit should I buy, I have a TIVO Premiere that will be linked to it.
    Thanks Rich

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

All three use Bluetooth controllers and the best option in my opinion would be a Bluetooth keyboard but unfortunately I am not aware of any full sized keyboards made to work with any of the three but I would sure expect one soon. Of the three, I think only the Hisense model includes a controller with a microphone for voice activation which might be useful for you. Since the Hisense hasn't been released yet, nobody knows a lot about it. I use two different first generation models, the Logitech Revue and Sony NSZ-GT1 and both work great with the Logitech K700 wireless RF keyboard but I don't think any of the second generation models have been adapted to work as well with that keyboard but if any have or will be, that would be a good option.

I don't know about use of a stylus with any of the various touchpads but I would think the answer to that is yes. As far as which one to buy, if you can afford it and it is actually released, the upcoming Sony NSZ-GP9 would be my recommendation, it should have voice control and based on Sony's history of accessories for their products it should be the best bet to work with a Bluetooth keyboard. Waiting until the keyboard questions can be answered is a good option if you can live with your Boxee a while longer. I am not disabled but sure prefer a full sized keyboard for use with Google TV.

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Voice Search is going to be helpful for you but it will not support all the functionality. If you have a tablet there are 3rd party remote Apps for GTV that might be your best option? The 3 units you mentioned do not have mic's built into the remotes so waiting for someone to make a next Gen. remote with a built in mic could be an option as well?

Not all Android Apps work with GTV so that is a limitation we all are faced with. There is a thread dedicated to which Apps will work with GTV via side loading and which will not. More Apps will come over time yet extreme patience is required by all us users as devs have not been that interested in making Apps for GTV.

One thing for you to consider is that these boxes need occasional reboots (this bug may be fixed by a future OS upgrade that we are told is on the way). This is done by power cycling the box or simultaneously hitting ctrl, alt, del. One possible solution for you could be hooking up a switch to the GTV box that you are able to use. Also, setting up a macro capability would be important to you I think. With some boxes you may be able to set the A button to be the ctrl, alt, del? Personally, if a box had the capabilty to set up a macro that activated the 30 sec skip button on my DVR 5 times that would be a major selling feature. I do like the idea of a one button commercial skip feature (I'm lazy). But hey, it would be so much cooler to speak "skip commercials" to my GTV mic and have a macro like this activated without a button press.

All in all, I think your choice in GTV box since all the remotes are tiny should be based on personal preference. What will you want the box to do for you? Is side loading Apps important to you? Is video codec support important? Do you like the way the Co-Star changed the look of GTV as far as the selection of Apps is concerned? Is the least buggy box a priority or is price? Do you want access to the exclusive Sony Movie /TV Rentals or is Amazon, You Tube Movies and Netflix good enough? Do frequent/timely firmware/bug fixes matter to you? Does it matter if the company you buy your box from decides to discontinue selling/supporting your box in the future?

Personally, I like the new Sony box as it's the back lit remote that has me interested and looks the most polished of all the current options. I am waiting for a remote with a mic built in and Primetime support to be rolled out for those not living in the USA before upgrading my current box.

Perhaps a dev will read this thread and decide to create an App that introduces a fully voice controlled GTV remote onto the scene?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  4. ChrisG8

I thought it had been reported that the Hisense Pulse does come with remote with microphone.

5. chopper

chopper Active Member

If Hisence has a built in mic then that is good news and worth another look.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

For now if you want a full size keyboard your best option would probably be the Sony NSZ-ZS7 paired to a Logitech Revue K700 keyboard. I've seen it mentioned that this setup works fairly well. You could also buy a refurbished Logitech Revue for around $99 and that comes with the full sized keyboard especially designed for the Revue. I'm currently satisfied with my Logitech Revue - however keep in mind that the Revue is a discontinued product and probably won't be seeing the same level of support/updates as the newer 2nd generation GTV devices.

I'm not sure how a stylus works with the Logitech K700 keyboard. I took a ballpoint stick pen (with the cap on) and tried to use that with the Revue K700 keyboard touchpad - however that doesn't work.

As was previously mentioned if you are interested in voice control for GTV - Hisense is coming out with a new GTV set-top box (called the "Pulse) - within the next few weeks. It's already listed on Amazon for preorders. But they haven't got it in stock yet. Hisense tweeted recently that Amazon will begin shipping Pulse orders in December. (The original remote that comes with the Pulse is a smallish 2 sided controller as is the case for all second generation GTV devices). From the pictures it looks like the Pulse will come with a microphone input on the remote.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  7. ChrisG8

If the Logitech Revue K700 keyboard works as well with the NSZ-GS7 as it does with the NSZ-GT1, that is the solution I would recommend.

8. chopper

chopper Active Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about that option but I think I remember someone saying that not all the buttons work in that configuration?

9. HarpoonIPA

HarpoonIPA New Member

Thanks for all the great information

10. terrywan

terrywan New Member

most android tv box don't support bluetooth, you see wireless mouse and keyboard all is 2.4G wireless, tg-nl35 is better, because it support DVB-T and support XBMC very good, for 2.4G wireless keyboard and mouse all support.