Quantcast

Long HDMI Runs through splitter. Intermittent signal. FYI

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by clspruiell, Mar 12, 2012.

1. clspruiell

clspruiell New Member

I'm running my GTV to three other tvs. I have a 2 ft HDMI from Charter box to GTV. 2 ft HDMI from GTV to splitter. Then:

50ft hdmi to bedroom
    25ft hdmi to den
    50ft hdmi to home theater

Here's the thing, it works. But its finicky (ms?). Hit power and nothing happens. Turn on/off again, and it works. It's strange and I wonder if this is a splitter box issue.

Anyway, I would suggest don't do this unless you want to use the ethernet thing but I have not found enough information on that yet. Like does it carry sound? In all formats?

When it works, its really cool, except I have to reprogram the remote to each room's tv. But I might try to obtain a second remote for this unit, or a third if the second works.

Anyway don't laugh at me haha I'm trying to consolidate.

2. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Hdmi runs should be good to 100' or so, +/- on quality of cable. Sounds like you are really oushing that limit as i would have to assume you are using cheap cables.

Though with my first thought, money spent on cabling and time spent running wires, wouldn't have been cheaper to just buy boxes for each room?

Sent using TapaTalk

3. clspruiell

clspruiell New Member

Well Im getting rid of 2 Charter HD DVR boxes that I pay "rent" on each month. The cabling all came from Monoprice.com. The 50 hdmi runs are with 22ga wire (which is about .5 inches thick).

I'm just tired of not knowing which dvr i have my recordings on, paying for hd dvr in each room (yes its necessary) etc. Plus I wanted GTV on all my tvs.

I also dont want to invest too much in this Sony GTV because I feel like there will be something better always coming out. I believe that these will start catching on VERY soon now that GTV finally figured out what it's doing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. clspruiell

clspruiell New Member

Besides, i dont want the confusion of having different boxes, different settings, different apps downloaded etc. Id rather have one GTV sent to all tvs. Like a server or something.