Quantcast

Lollipop Will See Big Update To Gmail App, Will Handle Non-Gmail Accounts Too

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 20, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Lollipop will see big update to Gmail app, will handle non-Gmail accounts too | 9to5Google (click for full article)

by Ben Lovejoy - Oct. 20, 2014

-- If you were wondering why Google hasn’t yet introduced an updated version of the Gmail app on Android to match its Material Design guidelines, the answer appears to be that it has something big in store. Gmail 5.0, which will be introduced as part of Android 5.0 Lollipop, will for the first time allow you to access all your email accounts within the same app, Gmail and non-Gmail alike …

Android Police pointed us to the above video, which shows that alternative accounts like Outlook and Yahoo can be accessed from a simple swipe of the header bar.

The app also gets the expected Material Design revamp, with a clean and colorful look.

Android 5.0 Lollipop will begin rolling out early next month, coming first to the Nexus 7 and 10 on 3rd November, and pre-installed on the new Nexus 6 and 9 – the latter shipping the same day and already available for pre-order.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Beginning about a week or so ago every time I access Gmail with the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue - there is a big yellow banner near the top that says:

"This version of Chrome Is No Longer Supported. Please Update To A supported Browser."

I'm hoping when the new android Lollipop Gmail version rolls out - that Google won't kill off GTV support for Gmail. The timing of that yellow banner in Gmail with the unsupported browser message (so near the Android Lollipop rollout) has me concerned. Just have to wait and see how it plays out.....

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014