Quantcast

Logitech set-top box for Google TV to cost $299

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by JimMariner, Oct 6, 2010.

1. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

[​IMG]Logitech Revue

Google TV, the new initiative from Google to bring the Internet to the living room, will be available at the end of the month on one of three devices: a new set-top box from Logitech, a TV and a Blu-ray player from Sony.Today, Logitech finally disclosed pricing of its Revue set-top box: $299. Sony says it will reveal its pricing at its October 12th press conference in New York.
    Logitech CEO Gerry Quindlen is photographed reflected i[​IMG]n his company's new set-top box, the Logitech Revue, which will bring Google -- and the Internet -- to TVs.
    Martin E. Klimek for USA TODAY

Revue comes with a full-size and familiar looking Logitech keyboard that will serve as a remote control. Logitech says this is no average keyboard. It "lets you find your shows, surf the web, or turn up the volume."If you prefer the more traditional smaller remote control, Logitech suggests using its app for iPhone and Android phones, which can also operate the Revue box.

Relate Videos can be found by clicking on Source at the bottom left of this post.
    Story By Jefferson Graham
    Source

2. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

Seems a tad expensive compared to the latest competition. I guess they are very confident of the product.

On the other hand if Sony surcharges 300$ for their tv's equipped with Google TV well that is just ridiculous. The early rumors suggest this.

Sony's Google TV screen sizes and prices leak? -- Engadget

3. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

You beat me to it Phatboy! I just started a new thread about the Engadget article then read your post.

4. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

What competition? None of the other boxes out there, Boxee, Roku, AppleTV have the capabilities of GoogleTV. Nor do any have the integration that the Logitech Revue has with Dish Network DVRs and other networks DVRs will be following shortly according to the Logitech presser. Oooh and let's not forget the biggest bonus here. In 2011 the Android marketplace will be opened up to GoogleTV. Now imagine, Logitech Revue or other GoogleTV, high end Android phone, high end 7" or 10" nVidia Tegra 2 250 based Android tablet. Couple this with say... Dish Networks' ViP922 Sling enable DVR and the Sling app for android on the tablet AND the phone and you have your TV ANYWHERE. I can see myself getting into a LOT of trouble with this thing. Especially if/when they root it!

EDIT: Note to mods. We NEED a Dancing Android icon!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  5. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

Well you can count out Boxee Box. As the Boxee app will be available for the Google TV later on.

As for the others well it really depends on what you want to do with it. If it only a cheap way to get to Netflix then Roku is best. If you want just a tad more with an online rental place but low upfront cost then Apple TV is best.

If you like the infinite possibilities that Google TV will offer with their Android app then you have to bite the bullet upfront at 300$...

I'm planing to drop my cable subscription. I almost don't use it anymore. So for this I'm betting on Google TV to fit my needs.

6. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

I really did want to see the Amazon Market place app in the shipping app list. I thought I saw it in previous reviews, but I defiantly didn't see it yesterday. I'm sure its coming soon but as of right now I don't know of any way to rent streaming video with the Google TV.

P.S. I really wanted to see this feature so that Google TV could compete on that front with Apple TV.

7. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

Netflix is included. With a full functioning browser you can go to any sites that streams too.

8. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

I was more interested in a iTunes like service for renting movies and TV shows right after they air.