Quantcast

Logitech Revue with TV Cam

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by mustang1068, Aug 23, 2011.

1. mustang1068

mustang1068 New Member

Just got the Logitech TV Cam to go with the revue, and I thought I'd share my experience so far. (who knows? maybe I'll be back on here complaining about it in a month)

I think it is outstanding the way it is integrated, and the picture quality of the camera itself, even in low light, is very good. Unlike XBOX or some other systems that are video conferencing capable, you don't have to be "using" some other system to enjoy the feature. You can receive calls while watching TV and the TV is almost always on (at least in my house) - this is a huge plus and makes it much more likely to get used often rather than just for the novelty. (for example, in order to video conference with family members with xbox, I have to call them on the phone to tell them to get on the xbox). With the Revue, I get notification that I have an incoming call right on the TV. Also, the integration with the picture-in-picture is very cool - you get your current TV program in one window, the person you are talking to in another, and a smaller window of yourself for example (though there are options to not have this occur as well).

Hopefully in the future it can integrate with other popular video conferencing applications (Skype) rather than being dependent on the Logitech Vid HD software at both ends, but at least the software appears to be very good with my limited experience.

I did have a problem getting it to work initially due to a very old router I was using - still not sure why it didn't like this router, but if you have an older router and you run into problems, you may want to start there. Logitech is offering the Revue with camera bundled for $199. Camera was originally $150 by itself, so this seems a deal to me.

2. Cellfreak

Cellfreak New Member

You will find that Windows based computer vary with the video quality using Logitechs Video Chat. I have a Alienware M11x that has no problem at all but a MSI12 that can't even stream the video to the Logitech.

3. stuberman

stuberman Member

We just ordered a few GTVs with HD Cams for work to see if they can function as a poor man's telepresence system. We have a number of the $10,000 Tandberg systems that are nearly impossible to use because of the way the gateway is managed. We are hoping external groups will find the Logitech HD Vid system easy enough to use that they purchase the GTV + HD cam set up as well.

4. stuberman

stuberman Member

BTW - is there any problem using the GTV and HD cam without a TV signal? Many offices do not have TV service but they have WiFi and HD monitors.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, the set-top box on the Revue is optional.

View attachment 175

Also make sure the intended cameras are the Logitech TV Cam the USB drivers in the Revue will only match up with the webcam it if the it matches the "VID_046D&PID_080C" hardware ID and the Logitech TV for Skype doesn't work either even though they look and cost exactly the same.

As for the monitor, I believe it might need HDCP compliant though I'm not sure on that one.

6. stuberman

stuberman Member

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I hadn't thought about HDCP - we have been talking about monitor compatibility including whether we could use a HDMI to DVI adapter. We will just have to try it out in a variety of set ups.

7. stuberman

stuberman Member

So far I am blown away by the HD camera service.

The quality of the picture rivals that of much more expensive Telepresence systems.
    I normally sit about 7 feet away from a 46" HDTV and although I can use the digital zoom on the camera, but the picture is much better when I zoom out and sit about 3 feet away.
    I had a video call with a friend using a Logitech Pro 9000 (also 720p) for several hours. We dropped the call once and there were a few times there was a little lag, but no worse than far more expensive systems.
    I am thinking of buying a smaller HDTV as a home office set up (32") so I can sit close to the camera, so I guess I need to buy another Revue now since my family is now addicted to the GTV on the living room system.

8. gtaguy

gtaguy New Member

I have an old logitech fusion camera with the following Vid USB\VID_046D&PID_08C1&REV_0005&MI_00

does that mean i will be able to get it to work on the revue?????

Im going straight home to test this out.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Its Possible, I hope it works. Here's the exact path for the cam, "USB\VID_046D&PID_080C&MI_00\7&DA46B7D&0&0000"

Hardware IDs:
    USB\VID_046D&PID_080C&REV_0010&MI_00
    USB\VID_046D&PID_080C&MI_00

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  10. BB88

BB88 New Member

Did it work for you? I have a Webcam Pro 9000 and it didn't work. I'm wondering if there is anyway to hack the hardware id, either in the webcam or in the revue.

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I don't think any kind of hack will work. The Revue itself doesn't have the drivers for a webcam. The 'official' Logitech GTV webcam has it's own special drivers - and this is why it works.

12. chopper

chopper Active Member

13. melissa.cypher

melissa.cypher New Member

Does anyone know if the Logitech HDTV webcame and google TV setup can be used with Google hangout? Before I order this for my office - I want to find a solution for conferencing between 3 offices or multiple individuals using Google Hangout and incorporating a tv and tv camera.

We don't want to order a computer to manage this connection and Google TV seemed most inexpensive. If anyone has any other ideas on what we can use to facilitate our hangouts via TV and HDTV cam...I am open to them!

14. CatfishRivers

No Google TV doesn't currently support Google hangouts. The Revue cam won't function with Google hangouts as was discussed in the following thread:

Google+ Hangouts - Logitech Forums

15. CatfishRivers

Logitech has a different product called the Skype TV Cam HD that you could use for video conferences on your TV with Skype. I don't believe this supports Google hangouts though. It is not related to Google TV - it's a stand alone device that you connect to your TV. No computer or GTV required. Price is $200 and was discussed in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/off-topic-discussion/5761-logitech-introduce-skype-tv-cam-hd.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An inexpensive alternative to the computer route would be running an android TV device that has camera support. IMO these 2 devices look promising and come with an HD camera. They connect directly to TV and you could use Google hangouts. I don't believed these products have been officially released yet - but the releases are supposed to be soon:

1) Archos TV connect:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...rns-any-tv-into-android-powered-smart-tv.html

2) Wise TIVI:

http://wisetivi.com/vision.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One other interesting alternative that I'll mention is the new budget Chromebooks. You can connect a Chromebook to a TV and use Google hangouts. The Chromebooks come with a built-in web cam. The new Acer model is $199 and the new Samsung model is $249.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  16. CatfishRivers

I just remembered about the Biscotti TV Cam that I had posted about a while back in the off-topic section. (This is a stand-alone device - no computer or GTV needed.) It supports Google Voice and Google chat - Amazon has it for $149:

Amazon.com: Biscotti Video Conferencing Camera: Electronics

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  17. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Cat

The Chromebook intrigues me. But I can't seem ta get my head around it. Is this a full capacity Laptop or some kinda tablet. I like the idea of being able to use a cam w/this device. But I can't seem to find anything about other software download capabilities. Can ya download any and all software like a HP notebook? Or is this device limited to only Android compatible software? And why would a Chromebook not innately support Google +?

I really don't want to reenter the world of Microsoft. But I do need some of their software until sites realize that MSN is a dead idea as far as media streaming is concerned. I know MSN Silver Light will die on the vine eventually, but I need to find a way to view certain media files immediately w/out going the windows route.

Geeze, I hate proprietary software...

Carl

18. stuberman

stuberman Member

ChromeBooks are basically a hardware browser, you can't install normal software. The systems have a cache that they added after the first run when they realized people want to be able to play music without being on a Wi-Fi network. But the premise of the ChromeBook is that it is (almost) always on the Internet and your data is in the cloud. Your browser does little good without an Internet connection (there are some offline capabilities since this is not really fully practical).

The first videos that Google put out for the series was someone destroying their ChromeBook and not having a crisis since the data was in the cloud. And the expectation that these would be very low cost was never met.

• Like Like x 2
  19. CatfishRivers

What would you describe as low cost expectation?

The new Acer Chromebook costs $199 while the new Samsung Chromebook costs $249.

Yes they don't play Microsoft Silverlight and they are not as flexible in ability as a full Windows computer - however the selling point is ease of use for those that need a simple and easy to use device primarily for internet browsing. The Chromebooks get no viruses, boot extremely fast, have the latest Chrome browser and lastest full desktop Flash version. Netflix works, Hulu works, tons of pretty cool Chrome extensions available from the Chrome Store.

Google has a huge hit on their hands with these Chromebooks. As you can see from the following link the new Samsung Chromebook is the number 1 selling notebook computer on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch): Computers & Accessories

From the Amazon web site:

"Best Sellers Rank
    #1 in Computers & Accessories (See top 100)
    #1 in Computers & Accessories > Notebooks"

Google TV on the other hand well ummm - the most recent model (the Netgear NeoTV Prime) appears to be a "dud". Currently ranked #2146 on Amazon electronics:

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-GTV10...361547748&sr=1-1&keywords=netgear+neotv+prime

From the Amazon web site:

"Best Sellers Rank
    #2,146 in Electronics (See top 100)
    #32 in Electronics > Home Audio & Theater > Multiroom Digital Music Systems
    #37 in Electronics > Computers & Add-Ons > Networking Products > Digital Media Devices"

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  20. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Google TV on the other hand well ummm - the most recent model (the Netgear NeoTV Prime) appears to be a "dud". Currently ranked #2146 on Amazon electronics:

Geeze, right after yer post my postman handed me a box I'd ordered. The NeoTV Prime. Uh oh, a dud, huh?

Carl