Quantcast

Logitech Revue update on 1-1-2013, now cursor won't disappear.

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by milone, Jan 1, 2013.

1. milone

milone New Member

I just setup my third Revue. As with the previous two, it prompted to do a system update immediately. That went fine, and afterwards I logged in and set it to sync with my account so that the apps I had previously installed on the other two Revues (all use the same Google account) will be installed to this one automatically as well. This worked flawlessly with the second Revue.

Shortly after, I got a notification that there was another system update that was downloaded and ready to reboot & install (today is January 1, 2013.) I performed the update, and now my mouse cursor won't disappear. If I reboot the Revue, it works as long as I don't use the trackpad/mouse... but once I do use it, the cursor returns to the center of the screen when I'm done moving it and stays visible - even if I'm playing videos. Obviously this isn't going to work.

Sorry if I'm explaining this poorly, my head is killing me. If I move the mouse cursor using the trackpad, it moves to wherever I want it to. But a second or two after I stop using the trackpad, the cursor resets to the center of the screen and stays there. Because of this, I can't even move the cursor off the screen to watch something... it just keeps resetting itself to the center. Everything I watch has a cursor in the center of it.

I mention the update because it is the only thing different than the first two Revues, which didn't have this problem. I haven't checked if those two want to perform a system update as well yet, but I will try at all costs to avoid it unless I know for sure this update is not what is causing this problem. Unfortunately, system updates do not seem optional once the Revue is aware of them.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions to fix this? Having a cursor in the center of my television for everything I do is unacceptable. Thanks.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am running two Revues but haven't seen anything about a new update. It sounds like the update is causing your problem and I would expect a quick fix from Logitech or Google.

3. milone

milone New Member

I wasn't sure if it was a newly released update, or some quirk where this Revue found an update that the others didn't. I mentioned today's date I guess in hoping that it would have been a new release - something that could quickly be patched. Does Logitech still support their existing products (Revue) since dropping out of the Google TV business? It seems like they'd rather wash their hands of it all.

I compared this one to the first Revue I had setup. While the first one prompted me to update during the initial setup, it is only at firmware 3.1 (build KA2X-20111123.091818.user-b61925) and this new one I setup is at firmware 3.2 (build KA2X-20120518.141456.user-b65871p). I'm not sure why this one prompted me for the second system update, but it did... and I'm guessing that's why this problem doesn't exist on the other two. (I believe the third Revue I have is also at 3.1, but it's not here for me to check.) I'm assuming there is no way to rollback firmware? I've actually setup 4 Revues now total, all within the past 2 months. This is the only one with this problem, and I believe it's the only one that prompted for the second update.

I'm hoping there is a way to fix this other than rebooting the device after every time after I use the trackpad. I feel like I should cover the trackpad up so I don't accidentally bump it... but then there are apps like Bacon Reader that require trackpad use because they can't be navigated with arrow keys alone. I guess I will try a factory reset tomorrow and see if that helps any. I know it will leave me stuck on 3.2, but I guess I'm holding out hope that it is an app bug (although all three Revues use the same apps) or just some mysterious bug that unexplainably disappears.

This sucks.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Both of mine are at 3.2. See the dates in the build, one of yours is Nov. 23, 2011 and the one with problems is May 18, 2012. My Logitech Revues are both running 3.2 with build dates of Oct. 9, 2012 so you don't have the most recent update on either Revue you list. I am not sure why yours would stop updating before being up to date. There is a procedure disclosed here that allegedly forces an update, it never works for me but others claim it works. You should be able to find it by a search, maybe you can get it to work. With the most recent update, my two updated about a month apart despite trying that force update routine several times.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

Do a factory reset. Might work.

6. guest

guest Active Member

This might be the solution as something similar happened to me. Change the batteries in the keyboard.

7. milone

milone New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, it seems the Revue has some issues with updates. Checking for system updates on both of the Revues here show there are no updates, which is obviously not true.

I first tried replacing the batteries in the keyboard, that didn't work... but it was worth a shot.

The factory reset did work... so far. When going through setup this time, I skipped the option to sync (automatically install apps that were saved to my Google account.) This way I can install the apps one at a time, so if it happens again I'll know which app it was. That is assuming that it is an app, and not just some fluke or bug that occurred last time. While troubleshooting yesterday, I had force-stopped any apps that weren't critical to check that it wasn't just an app running in the background that was causing it. That didn't resolve the problem though.

So I'll say that this problem was resolved by doing a factory reset. If I find that it was a particular app causing it, I'll update this post. I do use several apps that aren't designed for Google TV, so one of them causing a problem would not be that surprising. Maybe I'll be a little more cautious about experimenting with what apps will work.

Thanks again for the help. I guess my next challenge will be getting them all really up-to-date.

UPDATE: The problem appears to be caused by the Set Orientation app. I've installed in on all of the Revues, and only have a problem with this one Revue on firmware 3.2. If I install the app and set orientation to Landscape for example, the cursor problem returns. As soon as I uninstall the app, the cursor disappears instantly and the problem is gone. The cursor still works correctly, it just disappears after you're done using it instead of returning to the center of the screen. I've tested this theory by installing and uninstalling the Set Orientation app several times, all producing the same results. I guess I'll be looking for a different orientation app since some apps (Airdroid) won't work without setting the orientation. If you have any recommendations for a better app that works on Google TV, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  8. Tye

Tye Member

Just wanted to add a confirmation for anyone finding this thread later. I have the exact same issue with the Set Orientation app.

9. madman999

madman999 Member

I have 2 revues that have just the may 18 os version.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

10. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

UPDATE: The problem appears to be caused by the Set Orientation app. I've installed in on all of the Revues, and only have a problem with this one Revue on firmware 3.2. If I install the app and set orientation to Landscape for example, the cursor problem returns. As soon as I uninstall the app, the cursor disappears instantly and the problem is gone. The cursor still works correctly, it just disappears after you're done using it instead of returning to the center of the screen. I've tested this theory by installing and uninstalling the Set Orientation app several times, all producing the same results. I guess I'll be looking for a different orientation app since some apps (Airdroid) won't work without setting the orientation. If you have any recommendations for a better app that works on Google TV, please let me know. Thanks.

I use a Set Orientation app also, but have had no problems as you describe. Not sure if there are several different ones to choose from, but I'll look when I get home to see what one I have installed and post it here.

11. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

The problems w/updates are NOT particular to the Logitech Revue. It is a Google TV glitch. Some of the updates are not auto-deleting the old versions. Hence, we can have two versions that conflict w/each other. This was borne out w/the 3.2/2.1.1 updates that were system-wide. I've been able to help users of all devices by advising them to delete 'recent updates' in various apps. In some Apps, esp. those that use widgets like The Weather Channel, the app must be deleted & reinstalled after an update.

Carl