Quantcast

Logitech Revue, SA 8300HDC, Olevia 232-S13 TV HDCP/HDMI Pass-Through Problem

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by bvllets, Aug 31, 2011.

1. bvllets

bvllets New Member

Having some awesome tech support phone calls and chats here. Thought I should ask some experts.

Revue works fine connected to the TV, when connected inline with the SA 8300HDC I don't get a proper video. During the Revue setup wizard, I get a black screen with the occaional picture flashing. I have gone through the Revue wizard both ways, once with the TV and display okayed as if it worked and once without setting it up later outside the wizard. When the Revue shows the picture it says that its a problem with the HDCP cable and that it might be a bad cable. The image is red tinged and grimy.

To the best of my knowledge the Olevia 232-S13 is HDCP compatible. The cables have been checked and all I am referenced to is a pass-through function on the STB. For the SA 8300 there are options such as pressing guide and info at the same time or pressing settings twice to get to a menu that you can change to enable pass-through. Pressing Guide and Info at the same time does nothing. Pressing the setting button twice takes you into the menu, then closes the menu. In the actual settings menu, there is nothing about a pass through option, anywhere.

I have read every menu for the STB and it seems that if I have a different build as nothing seems to get me where I want to go.

From what i've read, the STB needs to be put into pass-through mode. This is not knowledge from the cable company (Time Warner) as well as from Logitech on how to make this work for me.

Any experts?

Thanks so much

bvllets

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Since you're on Time Warner, I suspect that you're no longer on the Passport Echo software which is where the "General Settings - Set: Picture Format (Fixed/Pass-Through/Upconvert-1/Upconvert-2)" options were found. Most likely, you're on the new Navigator menus and the option has since been replaced into three permutations; "Settings - High Definition: Output Resolution, Picture Size, and Aspect Ratio".

You're barking up the wrong tree; however, since there is no user definable settings which will affect the implementation of High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). Only the cable company can implement those changes.

It definitely sounds like you're having HDCP handshake issues. HDCP is quite quirky and doesn't take kindly to ad-hoc connections. You may consider rebooting or power-cycling all of the devices within your HDMI chain. Also have you tried connecting the Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC directly to the Olevia 232-S13 television? That way you can verify whether or not the television is truly HDCP compliant, and you can test whether or not the cables are functioning properly.

3. bvllets

bvllets New Member

Cables have all been tested and the STB works fine when plugged directly into the TV. I have tried rebooting the devices starting with the STB and working my way to the TV. Is that the correct process?

I am beginning to think that Time Warner cannot actually figure out how to change this setting. I have been through a couple of cycles of representatives, managers as well as Tier 3 support with no success.

I guess I will ask them to swap out the box for an older model or just use component to HDMI. How lame.

Thanks again for your help

bvllets

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I would power everything off, then power on the television, the set-top box then finally the Logitech Revue.

The odd thing about it is... I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC and a Logitech Revue on Time Warner Cable and they work fine together. Have you tried using another HDMI source (like DVR, Blu-Ray player, or Game Console) to plug into the Revue? We can figure out if the problem is due to the handshake between the Revue and the Television or the Set-Top Box and the Revue.

5. bvllets

bvllets New Member

I'll try the reboot process when I get home. I don't have any devices that I can use to check the handshake from. I believe that my XBox 360 is a component connection but I never really use it.

I know that you actually have it working in your signature which is how I originally found the forum. Are you in the NY Metro area? I'm in Brooklyn.

Thanks again for your help and i'll see what I can figure out tonight.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Most of the newer Xbox 360's have an HDMI output beneath the AV connector. If you have one on your X360 then that's a perfect test candidate.

Austin, Texas.