Quantcast

Logitech Revue Rooted - Requires Hardware Mod

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by JohnDroid, Jan 5, 2011.

1. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

If you've been anxiously awaiting for the day that a Google TV device had been rooted then wait no longer. A team of developers from the GTVhacker.com Wiki have done just that. The only downside is that the hack is rather involved and requires hardware modifications and some solder work. How exactly did they do it? Well, have a read:

You can find out more at their website here: Steps to get root - GTV Hacker

2. mskks64

mskks64 New Member

I think it's great that they were able to get root! I on the other hand will not be attempting this and will wait until there are easier steps. I am also very excited to see they have apps!

3. WishRyder

WishRyder New Member

If it only required a soldering iron, I MIGHT try it...but as it is, it requires a soldering iron, a USB->TTL board, soldering that device to the Revue box, using a special program and that device to flash the NAND. All beyond my knowledge and ambition. That, and you must have a Revue box without the software updates, which I already applied.

Hopefully when the app store opens and development gets rolling, there will be some software based root utilities.

4. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

It finally looks like our little black boxes may have some life in them after all. This is really great news for our community.

The funny thing for me is, once on hobby dies, another testing hobby comes along. The 'thrill' and 'enjoyment' of accomplishing such tasks reminds me of the good 'ole days when one never had to rely on anybody but themselves to solve the equation.

5. srramalot

srramalot New Member

Hopefully something like z4 comes around for Google TV eventually.

6. LaxCoach

LaxCoach New Member

Awesome, but obviously not for the average User. However, it is good to know even if GTV fails (and the Logitech Revue as we know it) might. I for one will be contacting this group to BreakVue. Hey GTV Hackers... set up an Ebay Store and "sell" the service. Basically, you take in trade/exchange units and sell the Mod'ed version. I wish I had the know-how because that is the PERFECT Ebay product. You could easily make $100K in a few months before any competition shows up. The only issue is it looks like you need to constantly update the code.

Way to go GTV-Hackers! The sad part was learning that Logitech Revue has a 1.2GHz Atom!! Jeez, $200 Netbooks are faster. Perhaps the reason why Google told Logitech to halt production. BTW- I called Logitech yesterday and they won't give out much info, but did say "all Revue's will be supported with OTA updates". When asked about Revue2 (Hardware). He would not confirm nor deny, but it has been published that Gingerbread (Android 3.0) will require a Dual-CORE ARM. Folks, we are stuck with outdated hardware already before lift-off.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011