Quantcast

Logitech Revue New Price!!

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Esalas666, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Esalas666

Esalas666 New Member

Logitech Revue new price

This is becoming a trend. After a disappointing Q4 saw Logitech reduce the price of its Revue it revealed today that after a net loss of $29.6 million for the first quarter it is cutting the price of the Revue to $99, as well as saying goodbye to CEO Gerald P. Quindlen. Quindlen had been an outspoken supporter of the Google TV box (see the video after the break) but according to Logitech this price cut and corresponding $34 million hit to its finances are necessary to "remove price as a barrier to broad customer acceptance." In the midst of these results -- as well as lowered sales in several regions and key products like Harmony remotes -- Chairman and former CEO Guerrino De Luca will assume the role of acting CEO while a long term replacement is sought. Until then, and before the Google Honeycomb update, does anyone think the Revue will be more appealing for one Benjamin than it was for two, or three?

This was posted on engadget

2. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

no where is selling it for that yet though. (at the time of this post I checked both amazon and best buy anmd they both have the ~$250 price. I would buy another one @ $99 for the bedroom.

3. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

This should have been the price point from the start....

Ya another for $99 means good news for me cause I will root the black beast.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

5. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

I would also buy one at that price, just to root it!

6. kes601

kes601 New Member

If you want another one, then that is great news. But I am wondering if I just spent $400 (bought 2 in the last couple months) is going to be a waste. I was banking on getting the Honeycomb update, but if they are slashing the price this drastically, how much time are they going to spend supporting the software?

7. galfert

galfert Active Member

Here it is directly from Logitech's website. The price may be an error since these financials state that the price was reduced.. Posted financials are past tense....meaning this happened in the past and it explains current finanical company losses. I believe the price should read $199. So there is a typo in the original source. If a price cut were to be announced today it would affect current and future gains or losses. Today's financial press release is to explain why they had such a bad Q2. You don't explain away a past bad Q2 with a new price change that essesntially hasn't happened yet.

http://ir.logitech.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=594585

If you read this original source you can see that it talks about the price change from $249 to $99. We all know the price changed from $249 to $199. And the wording also is clear that they are talking about a price change that has already occured... it is not an annoucement of a future price change. Even if it were an announcement for the future it would not be a price change from $249 to $99 it would be a price change from $199 to $99. Further evidence is that the report mentions the decicion to reduce the price during Q2 (the past)....we are now in Q3. If in fact the decision was made to reduce the price to $99 during Q2 then we would already have seen the $99 at retail. So those are all clues that it is a typo

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  8. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

Are we looking at the Q1 Projections? Because, unless I'm missing something, 2012 is still five months away. I agree, if it was 2011 Q1 we were reading about, the $199 price point makes absolute sense.. but if we're looking at projected figures, the $99 price may be accurate.

9. galfert

galfert Active Member

Hmm....good point. Now I'm confused! Well if this is a real price change then this is the most convoluted way of announcing a price change. No wonder the CEO is stepping down.

10. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Google TV price slashed to $99 as Logitech stumbles — Online Video News

If you search w/GOOGLE, GOOGLE TV $99 you will find nothing that says this is a typo from any source including CBS News. It may not be the MSLP price today or tomorrow but will be shortly!

Rick

11. CatfishRivers

I would think if this price change is going to really be true - that they would not 'advertise' it in advance - as anyone would be a fool to pay $225 to $250 for it now. Why hinder current sales by announcing this for some time in the future? If they are trying to move inventory NOW - this is the exact opposite of a logical approach. For instance if they wanted to move more inventory NOW - one way would be to announce a price INCREASE for the future. Do you see the logic of this?

12. dbuss

dbuss New Member

The first quarter of Logitech's fiscal year ended 6/30/2011. They are now in the second quarter of their fiscal year. According to the article we should be seeing the price drop soon.

13. galfert

galfert Active Member

dbuss,
    *Ding Ding Ding Ding*!!!! You have the correct answer!!! I hate it when companies use a Q1 - Q4 that does not coincide with the Jan - Dec normal quarters. So we ARE still in Q2 according to Logitech financials.

14. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

Well I still stand by my words as $99 should have been the price point from the start..

$99 Root me baby is what I say

The Peak has long been gone for our little black boxes

Just my thoughts as usual

Kev

15. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

• JULY 28, 2011, 7:11 P.M. ET
    UPDATE: Logitech Sheds Unflattering Light On Google TV Effort

-

--Logitech cutting price of Google TV device to spur sales

--Google says service will be updated later in the year

(Updates to include analyst comment in paragraph six. Adds clarity on Sony response and Google stock price.)

SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones)--Google Inc.'s (GOOG) efforts to become a bigger player in traditional media were dealt a setback when partner Logitech International SA (LOGI) said sales of a television remote control device built on the search giant's technology fell far short of expectations.

In its fiscal first-quarter earnings release, Logitech said demand for ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LINK: UPDATE: Logitech Sheds Unflattering Light On Google TV Effort - WSJ.com

16. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

Once this gets the update, sales will skyrocket. Plus, I think the price-drop is a little excessive. If they're also making room for new stock, maybe price it AT cost and not below. Why take such a huge a loss on it before you even know how the next few (critical) months are going to play out?

17. CatfishRivers

I think the Logitech Keyboard itself sells for about $100. Maybe the $99 price won't include the full keyboard?

18. galfert

galfert Active Member

Or maybe they won't include the batteries in the keyboard like it does now.

Hey wouldn't it be fun if it didn't come assembled. So you had to build it yourself like a Heathkit! This would all cut costs. They should make me CEO....I would put the company back in the black.

19. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Heathkit...
    Your showing your age with that one...:D

20. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

Sony did it with PS3 took big lose at first and look where it is today..

Kev