Quantcast

Logitech Revue network bug

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Cruddell001, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Cruddell001

Cruddell001 New Member

So apparently on my Revue, I can't connect to both my wired network and my wireless network - I can only do one or the other. This is a major bug in my opinion, as it means I can't enjoy the higher speed that comes with directly wiring into the network while at the same time using my Logitech remote app on my iPad or my Android phone. This needs to be fixed ASAP!!!

2. rtalain

rtalain New Member

It may just be my setup, but my Revue is hooked up to Ethernet and I can still control it over WiFi with my Android Google TV Remote app.

3. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

Sounds like an issue with your setup. I also have no problem using my Android Remote APP on my phone over WIFI while my Revue is connected via a wired connection.

4. njneer

njneer New Member

I think you're confused. The phone apps to control your Revue do not connect directly to your Revue via it's wifi connection. You just have to be on the same network.

Example: Let's say your network is named "Home" and you can connect to it via wifi and/or ethernet. If you connect your Revue via ethernet, it then belongs to the "Home" network. When you use the Logitech App and turn on wifi, as long as your phone connects to the "Home" network then it can be used to communicate with the Revue.

Make sense?

5. kgrr

kgrr New Member

It's not a bug at all. The fact the revue connects to the rest of the network by only one interface is totally intentional to prevent routing loops. Note that wireless devices and wired devices all have IP addresses on the same 192.168 network.

Consider my network:
    192.168.24.1 Wi-Fi Router (has 4 ethernet ports)
    192.168.24.100 Revue (connected via Ethernet)
    192.168.24.101 Laptop connected via Ethernet
    192.168.24.102 Laptop connected via Wi-Fi
    192.168.24.103 Android Phone connected via Wi-Fi

The Wi-Fi "router" is really a router (that connects the service provider's network to my 192.168 network), a switch, and a wi-fi access point (bridge). When the Android phone controls the Revue, its commands are sent over the air to the access point and then via ethernet to the Revue. Connecting the Revue by both Wireless and Ethernet would create a loop in this network. Note that the Revue only has one IP address. If your Revue is right next to the Wi-Fi "router", run an ethernet cable between the two and turn off the wireless in the Revue. If it's not within convenient cabling distance, then use the Wireless connection between the Revue and the Wi-Fi router. When communicating to the Wi-fi laptop, the Wi-Fi router will receive packets and re-transmit them.

kgrr

6. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

I agree with all the previous replies to your post.

There shouldn't be any issue connecting to either WiFi or wired unless you have a defective unit or something to that nature.

I have no issues connecting my Droid X Google TV Remote app or Harmony Remote app to control either of my 2 wired Revues.

7. Cruddell001

Cruddell001 New Member

Well, I went back and looked at it again today and it's working just fine. I have it connected to the Ethernet network, but it still appears on my wifi network for my remote apps. So, who knows what was going on that day I was messing around with it, but it's fine now. Thread should be closed.