Quantcast

Logitech Revue Media Player cannot stream movies from Network Storage

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by poqonos, Aug 3, 2011.

1. poqonos

poqonos New Member

Hello,

I got a Logitech Reveu yesterday and I noticed I cannot stream movies stored on a network drive. I have a DLink DNS-321 2x2 TB HDD NAS, it has 2 volumes and each HDD is mounted a vloume, EXT2 partition and network sharing via SMB. When I launch Logitech Media player it does not show the NAS in the list. If I restart my NAS while Google TV is on, it shows up on the list and if I click on the name, it shows a blank screen, instead of the volume names and folders/files. I don't know it is a Google TV limitation or Logitech Media Player limitation. I don't want to stream using DLNA, the reason I bought this is to stream directly from a network drive/folders. I would appreciate any help.

If streaming from network drive is not allowed, not DLNA, will it be available in Honeycomb 3.1. ?

I was also wondering whether Logitech Revue hardware is capable of upgrading to Ice Cream Sandwich, otherwise I will return and wait for 2nd Generation google TV

Thank you.

2. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

There already is limited DLNA support.
    I use Twonky as my media server and it functions good, but the media sorting leaves a lot to be desired.
    Since I upgraded to 3.1 I can now install apps, and Skifta is a better option...

• Like Like x 4
  3. BradMc

BradMc New Member

poqonos, I agree 100%. I just got my Logitech Revue delivered today and was quite frankly shocked to find out it didn't support smb shares. I found this thread while trying to figure out what I was missing, and it turns out it's not supported. There's just no sense in having to run a full time PC with DLNA/upnp.

I'm hoping to replace both my Roku and AppleTV2-with-XBMC with this device since GoogleTV can theoretically grab anything from the Internet, but I'm starting to doubt it's going to pan out. Glad I was never tempted enough to pay $299 for it.

Silverlight is another big thing that's missing for me.

So for now, I guess it will sit and wait and see if these shortcomings are added in the upgrade. It kind of reminds me of the old WebTV from the late 90s, which I still have in a closet :) Okay, it's not nearly that lame. I suppose I should just finally break down and put a Windows or Mac machine beside the TV, but I'm really hoping this can eventually bridge the gap between a full-blown PC and the other set top boxes.

4. jordannelms

jordannelms New Member

Right there with you. I was so looking forward to smb sharing but the built in media app really stinks. hopefully when the app store comes we can have the same streaming apps on our phone and tvs so its just one server app running on the comp for both devices.

5. backpain

backpain New Member

I got tired of waiting for fixes for nas issues and hulu so I duct taped a WD live to my Revue, routed hdmi output into Revue and viola, nas access, hulu access, just need to rig so revue keyboard will control WD. With $99 Revue I am still cheaper than the original price and have access to anything and everything. Not pretty but works until the fix all the issues, or negotiate what they need to.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Hulu doesn't block WD TV Live or the WD TV Live is streaming Hulu from a PC? If WD TV Live isn't blocked by Hulu, it seems odd, it is just another media player and should be blocked just the same as the Revue unless I am missing something. It does sound like a solution to streaming local content that the Revue can't handle. I wouldn't duct tape the boxes together however.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I believe he is referring to Hulu Plus which is available on the WD TV media players, Roku, Xbox 360, Playstation, Tivo Premiere, iOS devices, select Android Phones and Tablets, and many televisions.

8. backpain

backpain New Member

duct tape was humor. yes, i have hulu plus. so far all funtions of wd are working fine thru the Revue. no issues playing movies from nas server, unraid server, all hulu and hulu plus content. revue is just passing the hdmi signal thru without and issues. i am working on getting the keyboard to control the WD.

9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I read a little about the WD TV Live Plus. It sounds like a good player. Has it been abandoned by Western Digital? Based on the prices, it appears to be orphaned, it is very inexpensive.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nope its just another IP based streamer; like the Roku, D-Link, Boxee Box, Apple TV, and the Revue.