Quantcast

Logitech Revue Finally Gets Next Gen Google TV Update

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Dec 7, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Even though Logitech may not be moving forward with any new Google TV plans, they at least aren't leaving their existing customers completely out in the cold. They just announced that the next gen GoogleTV with Android 3.1 will be pushed out to The Logitech Revue devices. Now Revue owners can access stuff that really makes Google TV start to shine, like the Android Market. To get the update, you just need to turn on your device, connect to the Web, and accept the update pop-up on your screen.

Share in the forums how the update process went for you, and what you think of the changes.

Source: TalkAndroid

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bielefeld

Bielefeld New Member

Any idea when this is going to be pushed out?

3. jameskelsey

jameskelsey New Member

Starts today according to @googletvdev on twitter.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This week according to the official announcement made on the Logitech Blog website.

5. lotus

lotus New Member

I got my upgrade this afternoon. Haven't hadmuch time to play with it- but my initial impression is lukewarm, keeping in mind I am a new GTV user (about 3 weeks) and not exactly a techno genius. I was just starting to get used to the old format, now I have to learn a new one... no more most visited or bookmarks (at least "I" can't find them) At the bottom of the home page are icons for netflix, youtube, apps, and others. I did download 2 games from the android marketplace (not specifically apps for GTV) and 1 worked, 1 didn't. The d/l went smooth.
    Chrome is a lot faster, at least for me. I never know when to hit enter, ok, or use the mouse though, they all take me somewhere different. It just seems like the same old stuff, just presented differently, probably need to play with it for a few days...

Barbara

6. sarreq

sarreq Member

still waiting on mine. any word if they're actually going to update those of us who installed the UserDebug leak?

7. Random

Random New Member

I've updated my revue but...chrome extensions like adblock don't work...
    and cannot download firefox of dolphin browsers.

if anyone finds a way to add extensions to chrome on revue...please let us know.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Chrome on Google TV does not support extensions or add-ons.

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

GTV product manager Larry Yang mentioned yesterday that the Chrome web store is a possibility for GTV in the future (and that Google is currently working on it).
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Question: "Will we get access to the Chrome web store (extensions) on Google TV"?

Answer: "The version of Chrome running on Google TV 2.0 (Chrome 11) does not have access to the Chrome web store because this browser version does not support all extensions features. But, they are working on bringing the Chrome web store to Google TV- stay tuned."

10. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I have not gotten it either. But I notice that the bookmarks look smaller now.

11. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

I sure hope De Luca will think twice about throwing water on us,after this new improved software is up and running,and its selling like wildfire.
    I've got enough Sony products as it is...I like Logitech because they're different but they seemed to throw the revue out in the street like a 1 yr old orphan..
    you can't do much inside of one year,I hope this Honeycomb 3.1 will prove its worth and they rethink their actions.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jameskelsey

jameskelsey New Member

Owned my Revue for 3 months and got my update a couple hours ago.Big improvement from what I've played with so far.

13. stuberman

stuberman Member

Woo-hoo! - finally getting updates on both units. Was hoping to get these going before the work week.

14. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

I got the update a few days ago. So far, it's working beautifully. The browser is noticably faster and much more stable.
    I've installed a few apps with no problems, but there aren't many that interest me as yet. Hopefully we'll see more soon.
    I also hope Logitech rethinks their decision. I've had my Revue since August. I don't have a cable box at the moment so I can't make use of the TV integration, but I still like it a lot; moreso with the 3.1 update. I'm also going to buy at least one more (the bundled version with the cam).
    I'm planning on switching from the $2 local cable company we have now to DirecTV soon, so my use and enjoyment of the Revue will jump up.
    C'mon Logitech, stick with us!

15. Mar

Mar New Member

That's not what I heard. I've heard that Best Buy stores still have stacks of the $129 Revue/Camera bundle sitting on the shelves. Nobody wants an orphaned device at that price.

The presence of $79 refurbs in the marketplace can't be helping the sales of new units, either.

16. misfit410

misfit410 New Member

I wonder if I should factory reset mine if this is not normal, my wife is complaining that it's far slower than before, she actually preferred it before the update..
    I do notice it's very sluggish now, especially when looking to see what is on tv/