Quantcast

logitech revue blog.. up date google tv2 out before end year!!!

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Scuzzo, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

they slipped the date again... you will see i cant post links..
    but its just crappy support from logitech... news coming..

man, bit pissed..

2. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

And this means what?

Do you think that someone here still believe in this NEW Logitech Promise????

3. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

::sigh:: While I still like my device and the potential it holds, I am wholly and completely disappointed with both Google and Logitech at this point. It has been one missed deadline after another. The site is full of rants about this same thing, so I won't clutter it up anymore, but I for one and done with Logitech as a company.

4. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

means nothing.. i think they are slipping the date so they can have an out,, "we are not supporting the revue any longer,, but we are pleased to announce that LG or Loyds or Emerson are going to be introducing new google tv platforms,, we are sure you will find them exciting!!" the wording on the blog is very couched,,
    no mention of future support as far as software up dates past the end of the year,, just exec,, speak for well will give ya this.. BUT tHAT IT!! kick darts farmer...
    it will be interesting to see what happens.. if any thing,,,, mean while.. the pot boils away.. lots of unhappy revuers,,

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Here is the link to the Logitech blog:

The Next Version of Logitech Revue with Google TV Due Before Year End | Blog.Logitech

"
    By Ashish Arora // Vice President and General Manager, Digital Home Group on November 11, 2011Add a Comment

Filed: Revue, Smart TV

As our CEO Guerrino De Luca stated earlier this week, Logitech will not manufacture new Logitech Revue units. That said, we do believe that consumers in the U.S. will be able to purchase the product during this holiday season.

And all owners of Logitech Revue will receive the automatic and free update of Google’s recently announced updated version of Google TV, which we expect to roll out before the end of the year.

It is important to note that Logitech remains committed to all of its Logitech Revue customers and will continue to provide them with customer support under our warranty policy. We will also continue to support the Media Player, TV Cam, Keyboard Controller and Mini Keyboard.

We are very excited about the new release of Google TV, which includes access to the Android Market, faster and more comprehensive search capabilities, a simplified user interface and improvements to the Logitech Media Player. And we are optimistic about the long-term opportunity for the Google TV platform and the potential for Logitech to offer associated products as the ecosystem evolves."

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  6. Mar

Mar New Member

Logitech won't care, because their primary business is to make aftermarket input devices and accessories for iPods.

Despite the sunny tone in the blog post, my reading of the interview with the CEO is that Logitech is done with GoogleTV as a platform. The CEO feels completely betrayed by Google and he's angry that his company invested millions of dollars into this platform. My guess is that support for the Revue will go away as soon as the last Revue warranty lapses in 2012. Logitech may be done with us before we're ready to be done with Logitech. ;)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  7. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Alternatively, for the sake of discussion (speculation), we could also see an about-face. Netflix did it (Quickster), Bank Of America did it (ATM debit card fee)...consumers do have significant influence in the final outcome, despite poor PR efforts. :) I suspect CEO will have a busy Monday, regardless. :p

• Like Like x 2
  8. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

I hate this word : "...which we expect to roll out before the end of the year." That kind of laziness attitude made you the victim of your own design.

9. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

What's more, these words are very carefully chosen..PR firms are paid bigtime bucks to obfuscate. Give enough information to remain relevant, but not enough to commit. Target dates or windows would be more reassuring, even if they didn't pan out...'before end of year' is less helpful than Google's 'several weeks'. :)

10. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

im pretty much just venting.. i only had my revue for 3 or so months... i cannot imagine how ticked some cat who decided to pony up 300 bucks and was told the new op system would be avail.. soon.. for what? a year.. little less.. Logitech is really F-ing the football with this one.. and perhaps just some muffled voices in a far off GTV forum will not amount to anything... but i know i will never buy logitech stuff ever again and will not mind paying more for the privilege.. and with the price of good quality HTPC stuff going down.. cept for the hard drives.. i will limp along with the revue for half a year or so.. and build up a htpc... perhaps i will still be able to use my Key board... i duno.. but its weak that logitech had a fire sale, knowing full well they were droping out, but putting out pretenses that all was well and they were selling a viable technology which would be supported and developed.. if i knew "we are selling these at a loss because the are heading to mexico and you cats are on your F-ing own".. exit stage left.. i would have re-thought my purchasing decision.. but it was foggy what logitech intentions were... and we did not find out untill they got a lion share of their boxes into the public purchase and off the balance sheet.. i think they new just what they were doing... it was calculated.. but its just a 100 bucks... but still... its a shyte way to do business and its a great way to ruin a company rep...

too bad too.. that revue was a cool little box... Truly Awful Customer Service and support..

mho

11. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

The update must go out before they sell all the inventory, no remaining inventory no reason to release the update. Someone must start a FB page for the "Stop buying revue untill the update is out" group.

12. jameskelsey

jameskelsey New Member

@GoogleTV on twitter says next few weeks,continue the rants.

13. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

My question is how many Sony GTV's were manufactured versus Logitech GTV's. Logitech is blaming Google, the Revue and HC, when it was Logitech's bad management that is to blame. They claimed they built umpteen Revue's because of a mistaken belief that the technology was the "greatest thing since sliced bread". The CEO, or whomever authorized the signing of a contract for those excessive units built, is to blame. And, indeed, wasn't that person fired? DeLuca, the current CEO, was not the CEO on watch at the time of the Revue's manufacture. Is that not correct? I believe Sony was more realistic in its sales expectations for their GTV and so contracted for but a fraction of what Logitech had manufactured, but I have no data to back up that claim.