Quantcast

Logitech Or Sony - Which Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by gtf91745, Dec 1, 2011.

1. gtf91745

gtf91745 New Member

I want to get a Google TV set-top box. About 75% of the time, we watch Netflix content, and the other 25% of the time, we watch shows on websites like WatchSeries.eu or TubePlus.me. Which would be better for this type of use, the Logitech Revue or Sony Internet TV? The price difference ($99 vs. $179) isn't a big deal to me.

I'd like a set-top box that has good video quality -- I saw some people complaining about video quality of Logitech Revue. Maybe that's been fixed by now. I'd also like to be able to freely search Netflix -- I saw somewhere that Logitech Revue only allows you to view your queue. Is that true?

I'd appreciate any input. I'm looking to buy before Xmas....

Thx.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I honestly like the Revue better for the fact that you have the ability to customize and control the layout of the IR commands. Even though Google TV can only control three other types of devices; Set-top box, AV Receiver, and Television, the Revue allows me the flexibility about seven separate devices. Of course, I had to teach the necessary commands of four separate remotes but in the I can control my entertainment center with just the keyboard.

The problem Sony's Google TV implementation is lack of customization. Basically, if they do not have compatible codes for your remote then you're pretty much stuck using the original remote. Even if they have your remote, it is possible certain buttons aren't properly represented. So you would still be stuck with the OEM remote. If you report the problem to Sony's Technical support, their coined response is to the effect that it may be implemented in an up coming patch. I've been waiting over six months for the IR codes for the Xbox 360. Using the Roku is kind of annoying because in order to go "Home" menu, I have to click GTV Menu > Device Control > Home. While the key on the remote for "Guide" does absolutely nothing. It's frustrating after having so much control with the Logitech Revue.

Also, the Logitech Revue is the only Google TV device which supports video conferencing. Logitech included driver support and software support to enable this functionality. That's why you can plug in the TV Cam for Google TV and use the included Logitech ViD HD to video conference with anyone that has the Logitech ViD software for their PC, Macs, or other Revues. I recently finished my Christmas shopping because of this. The Logitech video conferencing platform is the least expensive high definition platform on the market today. Neither Sony implementations have this support.

The Sony Google TV Blu-Ray Player has advantages, since Sony added the codecs necessary to play DVD and Blu-Rays you'll be able to DTS which none of the other Google TV boxes can do, not even the Sony televisions. It also has a faster processor and more storage space; 1.66 Ghz CE4170 with 8GB where as the Logitech Revue has 1.2Ghz CE4150 and 5GB (1+4GB) storage. Though while running Google TV 1.0 between the Revue and the Sony Internet TV, I didn't notice any difference in speed. Another nice thing about the Sony line is that they haven't announced that it is discontinued. So, at least you can expect a little more development support from it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. popeye123

popeye123 New Member

You are kidding-right?
    No choice here. Sony!

3.1 Update-on 2nd update
    You get used to Sony's remote real quick
    Better Hardware or unit
    Support is better
    Logitech is abandoning the Revue
    Logitech figure it has taken months for 3.1 update-can't count on quick further updates
    Logitech losing money-can not see things getting any better
    Video Conferencing with Logitech-yes, but easy cheap alternatives-Getting Google TV not Video Conferences.

I am a little bias-obviously.
    Just check out posts here and other Google TV Forums
    Good Luck with purchase.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  4. cordova5252

cordova5252 New Member

get the sony

5. gtf91745

gtf91745 New Member

Thanks all for the input.

So the Sony can play videos linked at Tube Plus, FreeTVProject, WatchSeries, etc. just fine?

Thanks.

6. RedBank

RedBank New Member

I can tell you this first hand...I purchased both the Revue and the NSZ-GT1 at those prices last week. I have them both setup on same TV via my Onkyo TX-SR607 using Comcast RNG200 box.

In the past week...all I do it grab for the Sony remote 90% of the time. I actually love the Revue...and believe when the update finally comes...things will be a bit more enticing on that box. Both boxes are equally as quick...but it really comes down to the remote for me. Its simply just easier to roll around the room or couch w the Sony remote in hand. That Logitech keyboard is sweet and a pleasure to type on...but a little less ergonomic than the Sony.

I havent really used any of the services you asked about...but from strictly a hardware perspective,,,the Sony box will get you a nice dvd/cd/br player on top of a Honeycomb experience.

Love em both...but would say go Sony box