Quantcast

Logitech Mini Controller is $50 at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by les anderson, Dec 8, 2011.

1. les anderson

les anderson New Member

At $130 I never considered it. At $50 it seems like a good deal, just for the backlighting itself. Anyone have one of these? Love it, hate it?

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Best Buy website still lists the Logitech Mini Controller for $129.99 does that mean I have to go into store to get this $50 deal?

3. les anderson

les anderson New Member

$IMAG0365.jpg here is a shot for Santa

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Darn it! My local stores are closing in a few minutes. I'm just going to have to pass by tomorrow to check the local prices. Thanks for the heads up.

5. Tommyboy8686

Tommyboy8686 New Member

Figured the majority of people knew it was on sale along with the bundle that Best Buy has. I purchased a mini controller for $50 at best buy in Philadelphia last week. I definitely enjoy the smaller form factor and backlight, it does get some getting used to especially with all the FN controls that are needed but it does work. The only problem that I see with this controller is in the inability to customize buttons for the remote. For example I can't activate the sleep timer on my TV at night which is annoying, I could see this being a problem with people who have a complete AVR, TV and Revue setup and need some cusotmize commands. I spoke with logitech and they are aware you can't customize and didn't see to know if that would change in the future with any updates. Not getting my hope up with their announcement to ditch the Revue. A work around that I have done is to still customize the remote in the Revue settings menu and then use my phone to activate the sleep timer, annoying but it works. Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Like Like x 2
  6. les anderson

les anderson New Member

I am going to use it with the Sony so I am used to zero customization. Thank you for the feedback. What do you have to use function+ for?

7. Tommyboy8686

Tommyboy8686 New Member

No problem. Basically instead of clicking the one button on the stock Logitech remote you have to hit the Function+ another key on the mini. For example the back button can only be accessed by hitting FN and the delete key. I also frequently use the FN and Alt key to bring up the setting button (the one with the horizontal lines) The only other one I really use is the picture in picture which is activated by pressing FN and the Ctrl key. The best feature of the keyboard for me, because I'm left handed is the two FN keys on each side of the keyboard and the ability to switch the trackpad just by holding down the FN key (helpful when you just want to use arrow keys or scroll with the mouse pointer) Please let us know how it works with your Sony.

• Like Like x 2
  8. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Thanks. I am a lefty as well so that sounds good. Any other month and i would have grabbed it tonight. I will wait this one out until Christmas. Thanks again for your feedback.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That is very odd. I assumed that the mini-controller is also a dumb input device like the K700 keyboard and Harmony Remotes. It should take the same customizations from the Customize Controller Keys control panel. Tell me, is your Mini-Controller paired directly to the Revue or is it paired to the USB Unify Receiver? Last week, I noticed that when unplugged the Unify Receiver from my Sony and connected it into the Revue that the Fn combination keys didn't work properly. However, when I paired it directly to the Revue then they worked as expected.

10. Tommyboy8686

Tommyboy8686 New Member

Eferz, I initially setup the Mini with my revue, haven't taken the receiver out of the box yet. Want to make sure you I'm understanding what you are saying, you had the USB unify receiver plugged into your Sony Box but then paired the Mini back to your revue directly and your customized keys worked? I hope I can get these to work, seems odd that Logitech omitted this since they are known for their remotes.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Actually, it was the opposite. When I connected the Unify USB receiver to the Revue and used the K700 keyboard then the Fn+key combinations did not work. I had to unpair the keyboard from the USB receiver then pair it with the Revue in order to get the all the keys to work as expected.

12. Tommyboy8686

Tommyboy8686 New Member

So I have tried multiple times to unpair and pair the Mini Controller with my revue with and without the USB Unifying reciever included with the Mini but haven't had any luck in getting the customized commands to work. I believe it's just never going to happen unfortunately without a firmware upgrade from Logitech.

13. antgod

antgod New Member

saw this post and went and bought one, thanks for the heads up on the price didnt know they were on sale

14. DrewMotz

DrewMotz New Member

I have the Sony GTV Blue-Ray, and it does work with this mini Logitech remote. (Just plug the unify remote receiver provided into the Sony USB port.) I loved the backlight!

However, I took it back because I just could not get over the need to press the FN key for such often used buttons like "back" and "menu". I guess I may just be spoiled by the mini Sony remote. I also prefer the Sony's separate arrow keys, and thumb-mouse pointer better than the Logitech's manual switch and touch-pad pointer, (although the FN button modifier to switch between them helped a bit, on the Sony, you've got each available at all times, without having to think to switch between them.)

I suppose if I'd had the mini-Logitech remote from the start, instead of the Sony, these extra key presses and switches may have become second nature, but I'm spoiled now. I guess I'll just have to figure out how to jury rig a min-LED light onto to Sony remote if I really want/need a pseudo-backlight. (Anybody have ideas on how?)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  15. Tommyboy8686

Tommyboy8686 New Member

Couldn't agree with you more, those combination button presses are cumbersome but you do get accustomed to it after a week or so. Especially for revue owners coming from the large standard keyboard. I have been looking around for a while now on a possible solution for installing LEDs in my standard regular remote but dont know of any solutions, heading to radio shack to see if they can help. Will let you know my results.

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

17. macdude

macdude New Member

I have seen the micro light thread and it seemed like a ok work around but I worried about the thing getting knocked off the keyboard and it does stick up. I went to BB today and picked up the mini remote and I had a 5 buck reward so I only paid like 45 bucks. I think it is nice for basic searches, and basic control. However, I also like the full keyboard as well. So for me, it all comes down to what I am doing on the revue. I also saw that the mini remote was back ordered on BB site. I think I will be able to get used to the multi button combos. Just have to see.
    Macdude

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Thanks, again. I picked a Logitech Mini Controller up today for about $40.00. I'll start playing with it tomorrow more in depth tomorrow.

Actually, I see why some of those Customize Controller Key wouldn't work with the Mini Controller. Now that I have a closer look at the key layout, the [Fn] combination makes up for the limited amount of available buttons. It makes a little sense now. However, I plan to play with it a lot more tomorrow after some well deserved sleep.

What mini remote are you talking about? Is it a Harmony remote?

19. InvalidUserID

InvalidUserID New Member

Picked one up as well yesterday. Needs some time getting used to it as someone pointed out.
    The sale price ends on Dec 10th according to the sign at Best Buy.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  20. popeye123

popeye123 New Member

So just curious from the people buying the mini remote-how does it compare with the keyboard.
    Is it better-preferences-worth changing?
    Advice and opinions appreciated, thanks!