Quantcast

Logitech Media Server

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by towboy123, Sep 17, 2011.

1. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

It seems the newest leak comes with an easter egg
    Logitech Media Server built by the Squeezebox Department
    I am trying to get it working now but the could be the saviour to the Logitech Media Player

To download and install the server go to
    http://www.logitech.com/mediaserver

This is also usable with the 2.1 firmware
    Give it try let us know your results

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It takes a really long time to show up in the list of DLNA servers. It takes almost a minute to show up after initiating the "Rescan Sources" and about 10 minutes from boot up since has to perform a full scan before it will respond to DLNA discovery broadcast.

Also, it seems to ignore embedded coverart for MP4 files and uses frame samples of the movie instead. It seems to ignore the embedded metatags of the title, date, and genre in the "more info" pane. Seems like it still needs quite a bit of work. I wouldn't quite call it a "savior" quite yet.

3. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Neither would I that why I said could be the savior

Either way it shows promise

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I couldn't find the media server to download at the Logitech site.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

6. ChrisG8

Thanks, downloaded the current release after uninstalling the free version of TVersity which I never used. I haven't really done anything with a media server yet and will try to make the Logitech version work for me.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I personally think Twonky MediaServer is much better product and much more seasoned. If only they made a specific profile for the Google TV devices instead of defaulting to "Generic Media Receiver" and making people guess and manually set it to "Android" then more people see it is one of the better DLNA servers in the market.

8. ChrisG8

Is there a way to use this media server to access Hulu or other blocked sites, not accessible by my Revue? I can access files on the computer but I didn't see the method to use it for Hulu.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It does not. You'd need a server that can perform live HTTP/FLV transcoding like TVersity Pro or PlayOn.

10. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

Unless I'm missing something, the Logitech media server is no better than the DLNA server that comes with Windows 7 (ie., enable "streaming" in the network and sharing center). It does not appear to transcode at all and therefore it does not enable playback of any videos that cannot be played natively by the Revue.

Paul

11. DefenderBob

DefenderBob New Member

Yes. The support will increase with the 3.1 update (eta soon, but do not hold your breath)

12. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

Any word if the update will enable playback of MTS files? I haven't seen anything conclusive re: the leaked version(s). I am currently using Mezzmo to transcode my many camera original MTS files but would much prefer native playback since transcoding has its own issues. Without better media compatibility OR fewer blocked TV sites, the Revue is a very incomplete product. We have decided we will probably keep it regardless, but only because we love the keyboard and how it integrates with the Tivo. I even ordered a unifying receiver to see how it works with our HTPC. Since the keyboard by itself is a $99 item same as the Revue, it is a no-brainer.

BTW, the sales guy at Best Buy told us that he hasn't seen anyone return a Revue. He claims the real reason for the price reduction was that at $299 it was not competitive with the $299 Sony Google TV.... which includes a BluRay player ;)

I uninstalled the Logitech server.

Paul

13. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

No metadata from the files = fail to me. Also its not even trying to get the data from any sources no IMDB or anything. I am struggling with the "Why am I running this is it is just allowing access to the same stuff I already have access to but WITH the metadata via windows media server". Am I missing something here?

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The current 2.1 version is supposed to be compatible with MTS file container with H.264/AVC video streams and AAC audio stream. Here is the current listing for:

Some people are having problems streaming various audio files like FLAC and MP3s through Windows Media Player sharing. There's also a issue where certain WMP libraries aren't updating new content, or it is difficult to initiate the cataloging of new content.

The nice thing about the Logitech Media Server is that its usefulness can be expanded through plug-ins and is supported by the open source community. As for now, it remains that it still in the beta phase and while it is not as seasoned as current multimedia servers like Twonky or TVersity, it has good potential.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  15. DefenderBob

DefenderBob New Member

Media compatibility should increase with the upcoming update - unfortunatly probably nothing Logitech can do regarding blocked TV sites - I am cursing the networks about it regarding. If their slogan for NBC is watching anytime anywhere online for free, then why block devices?

pretty sure it was distributors returning the revue - IE, Best buy orders 10,000 and only sell's 2,000. They return 8,000 to logitech - not that consumers returned the 2,000 revues purchased.

16. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

Exactly!... I believe the LMS developers were rushed to announce RC1. It's very much still a beta. The DLNA UPnP feature is currently just an add-on (Plugin) to the Squeezebox Server now renamed Logitetch Media Server. As this plugin becomes part of the fabric of LMS and gets more support from 3rd party developers these "new" add-on feature can get a lot better. They just added the DLNA UPnP functionality to the server, next they need to stabilized it and then they will enhance it. Twonky, TVersity and other servers probably had long development cycles. LMS is just getting started, so currently you'll only find rudimentary DLNA UPnP functionality and plenty of frustrating bugs. The one thing to keep in mind is that the LMS DLNA UPnP functionality will be optimized for Logitech DLNA UPnP clients. The Revue being the only client of this sort from Logitech that I know.

Over the years the Slimdevices community has helped make the Squeezebox Server a very good solution for audio streaming for Squezeboxes using Slimproto. It supports many audio formats with a large number of plugins to extent the functionality of the server and of the players. You can have multiple players (synched and un-synched) in different rooms at a fraction of what a Sonos system will cost you... and with a lot more bells and whistles. It's "a little" more complex to setup, but once is up and running it's very powerful. I just hope that same level of enthusiasm that the community showed to make SBS and the Squeezeboxes what they're today is extended to LMS and the Revue.