Quantcast

Logitech Media Player

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by sparkyscott21, Dec 28, 2010.

1. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    I’ve been using my Logitech Revue for a while now, and there’s a feature I’m really enjoying in it. The Logitech Media Player lets me show all my friends and family video, pictures, and music I love, without having to crowd them around a tiny laptop screen or my desk. It’s a really great feature, and I wanted to make a little video showing you how it works with some pictures I took on a family vacation a little while ago. Check out the video, and let me know what YOUR favorite feature of Logitech Revue with Google TV is!

By Ashley Esqueda / on December 27, 2010

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

To be honest, that's probably my least favorite feature of the Revue...

I used to connect my laptop to the TV, and I could pretty much do what I want. With the Logiitech media player, I need to install DLNA software on my PC to be able to use it (can't just browse for media on the local network).

Additionally, the Revue doesn't identify itself as a DLNA media renderer, so I can't use a DLNA remote. Other DLNA devices identify themselves, and so I can be out in my backyard listening to music, and can see and control what is playing from my smartphone our laptop. With the Revue, you have to be looking at the actual TV screen to control it...

Additionally, the Revue comes with Amazon VOD, and Amazon lets you download a digital copy to your local network, however, the Revue can't play the downloaded media because it has no way to manage DRM.

Don't get me wrong, I love being able to view my photos on the big screen, and although I could already do this with my laptop, the Revue makes it easier to view photos and videos on my phone wirelessly. The Revue also has the wifi keyboard, which is a huge advantage...

I just think that as a DLNA device, it falls way short of the mark established by other devices out there...

Can't wait for the market to be enabled, so maybe this can be resolved.

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention the music player... A static image for as long as you're playing music (hours). Probably the worst thing you could do to a hi-def TV. Where's the screen saver? Fundamental error...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

3. kssteeler

kssteeler New Member

I am afraid I am a novice when it comes to DLNA. Can someone give me an overview of where to find the software and what to do with it after I download it. I am interested in connecting wirelessly with my desktop computer over my wireless network.

4. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

+1 on the screen saver.. make it happen Google!

I think it would be awesome to be able to stream photos and videos from your Android phone (and Picasa?) to your GTV through your home network... without needing to plug in.

5. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

To answer both of you, with DLNA that is exactly what you can do.

You can set up any computer (or phone) on the same network to be a media server, which will then share media with other devices on the same network.

Since GTV is natively android, and so is my phone, I personally looked for android compatible software, and ended up going with Twonky.

Setup Twonky on your PC, and choose the media or folders you wish to share. The Logitech Media player on the Revue will then allow you to browse and play those shared files.

With the Twonky software on the phone, you can either beam individual items (pics or movies) from the phone to the TV, or, you can set the phone up as a server (similar to the pc) and browse content on your phone from your TV.

If this was a true DLNA device, you should also be able to use your phone to control what items from your PC are played on the TV (phone is just a remote). The advantage of this is that since the phone has a screen, you don't have to be able to see the TV. Unfortunately, the Review is lacking in this area...

Hopefully, when the apps store gets enabled, we will be able to run Twonky, Skifta, PlugPlayer, or one of the other DLNA apps on the Revue, and get full functionality...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  6. pwaitzman

pwaitzman New Member

7. Donaldt

Donaldt New Member

Not all DLNA clients can have media pushed to it most of them can only pull. TwonkyBeam is a relatively new function that has not been adopted widely. There is a list of compatible clients listed on their site. (I cannot post links apparently because I do not have enough posts.) The original DLNA specification is called Play To and was introduced a couple of years ago but had a slow adoption rate. It was not until Apple introduced AirPlay that influenced more DLNA clients began to adopt the standard and include the feature.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011