Quantcast

Logitech has no plans to build a successor to Logitech Revue.

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by eferz, Nov 8, 2011.

1. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Saw this posted in the Logitech forums and thought I'd share it with this community.

LOGITECH INTERNATIONAL SA - 10-Q
    MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS

Excerpts from the above link regarding Google TV and Revue below.

I am disappointed that Logitech has decided not to do so. I believe the addition of the Harmony component in the Revue made it the superior Google TV product in terms device compatibility.

Honestly, it is their own fault that it came to this. Had they invested the proper resources into maintaining and enhancing the Logitech Revue despite the failing of Google, I don't believe that the price drops had to be as drastic or possibly necessary. Leaving their video playback capabilities indefinitely in beta and with all the unaddressed problems obviously caused people to not see much if any value in the product. It really was Logitech's own mismanagement and negligence which led the Revue to a downward spiral.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm kind of glad I've held off on buying the Logitech special GTV webcam. This is because I do believe that sometime next year we will see next generation GTV hardware (although apparently not from Logitech). When the next generation of hardware comes out - I'd rather spend the money to upgrade to that - instead of spending money now for the webcam.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I am glad on the other hand that I bought the TV Cam with the 50% discount when it was available to me. It's a great teleconferencing platform, and I use it to keep in touch with my family in California.

4. CatfishRivers

What I'm kind of wondering about is this: - Will the Revue be discontinued when they sell-out of the current inventory?

I tend to think so based on the following comment from Logitech:

"We expect our inventory of Logitech Revue products will be fully depleted in the quarter ended December 31, 2011."

5. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

and so it goes... but i still have hopes that they will release the GTV 2.0.. and man that logitech forum is just the bunch of drama and silly stuff.. i just cant stand all the negative BS thats just excreted in that forum...
    im not sure what this means for google tv.. perhaps the revue is just a fancy door stop with wifi.. i still think for the price its an amazing little alt to a htpc.. and i would pick it over the form factor of any sony prod.. just for the Keyboard alone.. well there is always rooting if GTV 2.0 never comes.. i use mine 90% of the time im watching TV.. and i hate to see it abandoned.. and if im going to pony up retail for a new second gen Google box im not sure what else it will add that is not satified with my silly revue... too bad logitech took a bunch of wrong steps... and google ham fisted launch of GTV 1... but i still very happy with the this silly internet box contraption..

awell... RIP.. ;)

6. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

In my opinion, the revue is the only original product logitech never made. Before the revue, a considered logitech as a manufacturer of cheap computer related hardware. With the revue I started to consider them as pioneer and as compagny capable of great innovation and unique product. Logitech, should consider the lost of revenue from the revue as a Marketing expense for long term developpement of the brand. Logitech must start to work on a new device, instead of that they will continue selling solar keyboards and mouse and with the new trend for touchscreen devices... On the other hand they must find a way to make money on consomable products not on the hardware : Google make money with adds and market (not with by selling android), Gillette with blade, Keurig with Kcup (not with the brewer)... Logitech, why not asking 5-25$ for downloading the update. Take over other markets, singup with major hotel chain and develop them an payper view apps. Anyway, I just want to say they have a lot of potential in their hand. (sorry for my typo, I'M french)

7. LadyAngler

LadyAngler Moderator Staff Member

Well this is a big bummer. Oh well, so it goes.:( Hopefully they will make some harmony capable remotes for for GTV at least. But probably not. I guess I can use the revue in another room when better technology comes out. I'm going to have to do something when everyone has ICS and I don't.:mad: LOL

8. CatfishRivers

Logitech had mentioned that with the big price drop of the Revue to $99 - their plan was to make their profits by selling the peripherals (webcam, mini-keyboard etc.)

But I'm wondering if people will lose interest in purchasing the peripherals - knowing that the Revue has been dis-continued.

And without a profit incentive - what motive would there be for Logitech to continue to support the Revue? And don't Revue users need to log-on through Logitech's servers?

There was a similar kind of situation with MSNTV (the original Web TV service now owned by Microsoft). All of the MSNTV hardware was discontinued years ago (along with the updates). However the big difference is that MSNTV is a paid subscription service - so Microsoft has had the incentive to keep Web TV going (because they have enough monthly subscribers paying a fee). However their subscriber base is dwindling and eventually the day will come when Microsoft pulls the plug on MSNTV.

9. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Agree 100% on this! Much like Google 'has their way' that often doesn't make economic sense, Logitech has their way, too. It seems they think they're Apple#2, but without the cachet, imho.

10. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

"We do not plan to build a successor to Logitech Revue."

That is, unless Google subsidizes its manufacture to a greater degree than it had.

Aren't the software updates to GoogleTV developed in-house by Google? And doesn't it pay the device manufacturers to "allow the devices to be updated"? The company that gains the most with GTV is Google. I think that it would behoove Google to share some of those profits with the device manufacturers in the future. Is Google being greedy? Maybe. Isn't the sticking point with the big cable programming companies, that are now blocking programming from being viewed on GTV, Google's unwillingness to open its wallet!

11. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I was certain Logitech wouldn't try a second time but purchased two Revues despite that. Logitech can't take this kind of hit twice and survive. It was a gamble that didn't pay off but it might have.

12. CatfishRivers

I wonder if other companies that are on the fence about manufacturing GTV hardware will be swayed against it by the Logitech 'debacle'? Perhaps the best solution will be to have Google manufacture their own box through Motorola. I'm not interested in buying a full TV with GTV baked in.

13. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Me neither..STB is just fine by me! :)

14. DCAlexandria

DCAlexandria Member

I'm sure google will keep the revue updated even without Logitech supporting it.

15. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Very disappointing to me

Though I would like to see a high end Sony AVR with this built in

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It would be very hard for Google to support it without the source code for Logitech's Harmony component of the Revue. Besides, look at the all carriers that have abandoned updating their Android phones 8 to 14 months after they were released. It really was up strength of the community which kept particular models up to date despite the neglect of their respective carrier.

I still say if Tivo came out with a DVR Google TV but with a Tivo interface, that would be the killer platform.

17. DCAlexandria

DCAlexandria Member

Why wouldn't Logitech give up the source code??

18. DCAlexandria

DCAlexandria Member

Anywho it's still a lock the revue gets the 2.0 update. I'll be fine with that for the duration I have the device.

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Intellectual property, Trademark, Copyright and most importantly money. It's one of their main money making component. That's why they came out with the Harmony Link. Which is their new remote control accessory that functions at the capacity that they originally intended for the Logitech Revue.

20. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

I agree 110% with your statement Eferz.

I am a new Tivo Premiere owner and as you know it pairs real nice with our little black boxes. Will it ever happen, who knows, but I know that if Tivo wants to keep up with the newest trends they should consider such an idea whether it be GTV or another Android platform.

Time will tell as I think we all have seen the writing on the wall for quite a while as very early on the blocking of the major networks ultimately became the downfall of GTV.

One has to wonder, after several decades with many attempts from numerous manufactures, will Television Internet Set-Top-Boxes ever really take a grip and become main-stream?

Who knows, but every single one has ultimately Failed to catch on to the average consumer.

I had hoped that GTV would be the first to do so, but as we all know, it has not.

My best educated guess is that it will be Apple that brings Television Internet Set-Top-Boxes to the main-stream of average consumers.

Just my thoughts as usual..

Kev

• Like Like x 2