Quantcast

Logitech discontinued the revue!!!!!!!! --- now what????

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by ulises1954, Nov 11, 2011.

1. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

Logitech Discontinued the Revue!! - Logi CEO: we "brought closure to the Logitech Revue saga"

Logitech CEO: Google TV 'cost us dearly,' no Revue replacement coming | The Verge

Logitech to let Revue die out, no replacement coming - SlashGear

Just like have hapened with the HP Touch Tablet, now Logitech has decided to Discontinued the Current Model of the Revue (and also Not to Make any new Version next year)!!

Apparently the US$99.00 price discount motive for the Revue, was to get rid of existing inventory of a product targeted to be discontinued!!!.

So may be now they can get round to doing the HoneyComb update, and they will get rid of the remaining stock?

Sorry to communicate this bad news, but as All of Us, I am very disappointed and Angry with this product and its manufacturer, for the lack of communication and support...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member

Glad I went with the Sony TV instead :)

3. ShadowCVL

ShadowCVL New Member

well that really stinks, I was waiting for amazon to get it back in stock so that I could have a second one

4. lunapark

lunapark Member

Will the HC update come for Revue ?

5. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

Based on the CEO comments is it realistic to expect the HC update for Revue? Once Logitech decided to abandon the Revue why would they invest any effort in the upgrade?

6. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

Totally Agree drdigital1...

That´s why I am very worried, because you're right... Since They decided to totally abandon the Revue why would they will invest any effort in the upgrade???

7. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

if i were not an investor,,, heck i bought one too... this would be kinda sad and funny,, you should see the crack down over on the logitech forum.. the mod is doing redirect and house cleaning,,, and will not address any questions.... on the logitech blog there is complete news black out,, you can post a comment but in cannot be the least bit of any thing but,, "gosh logitech you all are doing a super job!!" heck, even here there is a huge shift of momentum.. perhaps to root or not to root.. that is the question.. google better start up the magic spin machine soon,, or they will loose GTV all together,, including sony..

GTv seems in free fall at the moment at least..

8. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

I love my revue and I truly hope that Honeycomb will come to it but I'll be looking on eBay for people trying to get rid of theirs - I bought this for $70 a few months ago, I bet I will score one for $40. $40 for an Android box connected to my TV? I am sure it will have a continued hacking community - I think things are going to be ok lol

To Logitech - you suck! Open Source this box for us!

9. HDCowboy

HDCowboy New Member

I was at Best Buy last week abnd they had planty to be had there, I'd imagine the same thing at other box stores.

10. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

The least they owed us is the final update to make it functional from this point forward, even if it doesn't grow!!!!

Only one thing I regret, That I should have bought the Sony GTV version...

I know that´s Sony is a Giant Company and may that´s the reason why we are getting so bad support from a little company like Logitech, but At Least, SONY always had has More Pride and Support of their products!!!.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  11. Scuba769

Scuba769 New Member

There has been an influx of GoogleTV developer members recently, so hopefully they're seeing the Logitech owner's unhappiness. It would be nice if Google took over the Revue. I'd think if that happened we wouldn't have the Logitech specific software clogging up the unit. Maybe open source it like someone said earlier.

Also, the delay in the HC release was that Logitech was finalizing HC to work on their system. If they abandon it, are they really doing anything or dodging us all together?? If that's true I will never buy another Logitech product again and I've always liked their products. All I want to know, is the HC update coming or not? This speculation/rumor period is not helping anyone.

12. DaBigEZ

DaBigEZ New Member

I will never buy another Logitech product.

13. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

If I had only paid $99 for my Revue I wouldn't really be overly upset about it. But I paid $249 for mine back in mid-January. Oh well. Now I just hope that Google doesn't pull the plug on GTV.

14. yourefree

yourefree New Member

I bought the revue last week from Radioshack. Best Buy were already pretty much sold out in Chicago - they said they were discontinuing the product so I figured this would happen. I am actually pretty happy with the product. I have Dish and it pulls up DVR shows nicely and I am playing with the applications. I bought this mostly for HBO GO and I chose it over the Roku because of the keyboard. I like having a full keyboard to enter searches etc on apps like HBO, Netflix. Having youtube and all the rest of the apps is a bonus. I hope to get the Honeycomb update but even if that doesn't happen I am still happy enough with the hardware/software currently. I might buy the Roku from Costco to do a quick comparison (picture, speed etc.) as I have 3 weeks left to return to Radioshack.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SamBowden

SamBowden New Member

On Nov. 9, 2011, Logitech's CEO announced that Logitech was dropping the Revue after losing over $100 million on the product. Will Google provide any level of support for those of us who bought this product?

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Minor correction, "Operational miscues in EMEA and Logitech Revue cost us well over $100M in operating profit." as indicated on page 3 of the Strategy and Priorities Revisited of Logitech Analyst & Investor Day on November 9, 2011 at the Logitech Investor Relations website.

17. Mar

Mar New Member

If they did, it would be unprecedented. IMO, the next update will be the last update. Logitech won't devote anymore developer resources to an orphaned product line and the way the Android world works is that OS updates can't be pushed without developer support from the manufacturer. Thus, the Revue will effectively be EOL after the update.

BTW, Google TV tweeted today that the Revue's update will be released "in the next few weeks," so there will be an update.

18. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have two of them and knew when I purchased the first that the product was a financial failure for Logitech and was likely the first and last Logitech Google TV product. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to understand that this keyboard and streaming box with built-in Wi-Fi can't be sold profitably for $99 and this was a firesale to get of the business and move on, taking an enormous financial hit.

I do expect an update to Honeycomb and plan to use my two Revues for as long as they work. My only uses for my Revues, find programming to stream from the internet, put it in my queue and watch it at my convenience and browsing the internet. I have TiVos for the OTA networks and use the TiVo now playing list to watch that programming at my convenience. I am happy with the Logitech Revue and consider it a technological success and financial disaster but those kinds of things don't scare me away. TiVo loses millions every year and their products fall into the same category. TiVo has had a saving grace, winnings from patent infringement litigation but making, selling and providing service for full featured DVRs is a fool's game, nobody else is even trying. Cable and satellite companies can provide a DVR for their customer and make a profit on the TV service provided, it is difficult for TiVo to compete with that loss leader DVR business. Google TV makes a profit from advertising, Logitech has no source of income from Google TV products except selling the product at a profit, the Revue can't be sold at a profit. If Google TV was a polished, full featured internet streaming box and media player right from the start, Logitech might have pulled off selling a box to access the service at a profit. The Logitech executives that believed that would happen must have been brain dead.

I have several Logitech products, remotes, keyboards, and a mouse or two along with the Revues and I am happy with all of the products. Whine if you want but if you didn't understand long aqo that the Revue was a disaster from a business perspective, you probably haven't been around as long as this 60 year old has.

• Like Like x 4
  19. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

A recurring theme seems to be those that paid Retail, versus those that got Fire Sale prices, determined expectations and overall satisfaction. One way I've always endured early-adopter-itis and 'beta-ware' is to realise I enjoyed (or not!) the product upon birth, and got to fiddle a lot longer than the later arrivals. :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. FA1321

FA1321 New Member

I got mine when frys's was selling them for $89 and at that point I was thinking I have 30 days to test it and return it if it bites. I love the Revue my PS3 is getting lonely these days because the revue streams all kinds of free stuff to it from the web that the PS3 or Roku cannot. Im sorry to hear of its demise but not surprised when companies slash prices in half they are bailing out. If Best Buy has them in stock still I am going to buy another one before they are gone its a great product as-is if we do get the Honeycomb update then Logitech at least gave you one last kiss before the walked away.