Quantcast

Logitech CEO: Expect Stream Of Innovation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 8, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

http://mashable.com/2013/02/07/logitech-ceo-innovatio/ (click for full article)

Logitech CEO: Expect 'Stream of Innovation'

"CEO and President Bracken Darrell is remarkably upbeat and open for a guy who only a few weeks ago delivered some pretty bad news to investors. The 30-plus-year-old peripheral company's profits took a 14% haircut, year-over-year, and Darrell announced Logitech would look to divest its once industry-leading Harmony remote control business.

Since the announcement, Darrell has been on a goodwill tour of sorts - visiting media outlets to tell the Logitech story and assure us all that it has a bright future ahead of it."

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

The Logitech story is a cautionary tale at best...

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have 7 wireless Logitech wireless keyboards, 4 mice, 2 Revues, and 4 Harmony remote controls in the house in use. Well one Harmony Remote, the 700 is a back up for the other 3. I like everything I own with no plans to retire any of the products and sure hope Logitech makes arrangements for everything to be supported indefinitely, nothing I have is expected to break or become obsolete in the near future.

4. guest

guest Active Member

No mention of the waste stream in which they've placed the Revue.

5. ChrisG8

You continually offer this nonsense opinion, go ahead and name all of the streaming boxes from 2+ years ago that are getting updates beyond the Logitech Revue. I also own the first generation Sony NSZ-GT1, it is a more expensive, slightly better box but to date, it hasn't been updated beyond the Revue capabilities and it appears all first gen boxes are going to be left behind compared to the new boxes. Whether or not the Sony box is updated beyond the Revue won't be known until it gets an update that does that, my guess now is that won't happen. Both are currently at the most recent first gen operating version and other than inherent differences from the start, neither has deviated further from the other. As far as the other 2010 streaming boxes, all I am aware of are either completely abandoned or left wanting features offered in newer versions.

I won't hold my breath waiting for your list of competing 2010 products that shows how poorly Logitech has done in updating and maintaining the Revue, I can't imagine you will come up with a single product. I would take my chances with the Sony box if I had to have one that will be improved further but it isn't clear to me it will happen or won't happen with either at this point.

6. guest

guest Active Member

It was a joke. Or do you only prefer commentary with childish smilies?

7. Carlszone

Hey, what folks fail to understand, the Logitech Revue was one of Logitech's best endeavors. But the dang company had unrealistic marketing expectations. Ya can't sell a device that is basically a full browser internet surfing/streaming device w/the limitations that Google caused in their anti-media campaign. Google first scared the crap out of the networks, while still reassuring Logitech & partners that a deal could be made.

Then, oops...

Carl

8. ChrisG8

I would have been optimistic about the Revue if I had been a decision making executive at Logitech. There is certainly no denying the Revue was a company killing product flop, it is very difficult to judge how new products will be received by the marketplace. I think Sony has lost a lot of money on their various Google TV products although not anything like Logitech did with the Revue. I still don't understand how less capable products like Apple TV and Roku are doing so much better in the marketplace than Google TV, maybe this latest update with the current generation will start to turn things around for Google TV. If it happens, it will be way too late for Logitech of course. If Logitech had stayed around for a second Google TV product, I think something like the Sony NSZ-GS7 would have been the result. It looks and acts like a Revue, only the cute little remote differs but that is a result of market feedback, the majority doesn't want a full sized keyboard to control their internet TV device. I want a full sized keyboard personally.

Although I think the Harmony line of products remains profitable, apparently the trend is downward and that may not even be sustainable. In fact, I doubt if Logitech has many, if any, promising products for growing markets right now. Products on the drawing board must be the hope for the future. An interesting Logitech niche market, expensive product is the Logitech Transporter, another doomed product although one that only sold in limited quantities at profitable prices so it didn't break the back of the company.

Amazon.com: Logitech Transporter® SE: Network Music Player (Black): Electronics

9. Carlszone

The Roku is successful because of its simplicity. The Apple TV because most households already had an Apple product. Trusting a peripherals company partnered w/a search giant is quite a leap for most folks when it comes to internet devices. Marketing for the 1st gen devices was horrible!

These devices & TVs are too complicated for the average entertainment seeker. It wasn't long ago that the idea of computer use was tied to work. This I believe is changing but there is still a ways to go. Losing the networks and being left out of streaming services didn't help.

Lastly, the early bugs and instability. Netflix didn't start working properly until the 3.2 upgrade. Just trying to figure out how to sync bookmarks takes users on a bizzarre adventure via two separate but almost identical pages. People want it simple. An example: I asked my friend why he never recorded football games on his VCR. He replied that he couldn't figure out how to program it.

I fell off my chair...

Carl