Quantcast

Live TV signal to Google TV device

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by lunapark, Mar 18, 2013.

1. lunapark

lunapark Member

Hi

I've just heard that if you have a Google tv device from Sony (NSZ-GS7) and their Bravia tv,
    then the Google TV device can get its tv-signal from the tv?

Can this be truth ?

Normally the tv-signal would have to come from an external Settop Box using HDMI-IN in the box.

But if this works, it would be genius, coz all tv's allready has the tuner to receive DVB-T or DVB-C.

But can anyone confirm that this works ?
    Or does it works with any Google TV devices ?

Kind regards

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No, there is nothing special about using the Sony NSZ-GS7 with a Sony TV as far as processing a TV source. Of course with any TV with a tuner you can watch TV signals received by the TV and also use Google TV connected to an HDMI input but routing the signal from the TV through Google TV then back to the TV sounds rather silly to me. I guess it would be possible with any TV that has an HDMI output, I have never seen one of those however. The Sony NSZ-GS7 is designed to accept an HDMI signal using its HDMI input, there is no other way for it to have any access to a TV source.

3. lunapark

lunapark Member

Im sorry.. Im still not sure if I understand this correct.
    Probarely caused my english :-(
    But I try again and hope you can give me at try again to understand this correct.

Right now I have a Sony TV with internal DVB-C tuner.
    This means I dont have a settop box!

I'd like to receive theese channels on my Google TV (settop box) using the LIVE TV function on Google TV,
    is this possible ?

Then the EPG and tv-channels are integrated in the Google TV software.

Or are you saying that this is'nt possible, unless my TV has a HDMI output, which I never seen either.

So if I want to have the LIVE TV channels add to Google TV, I'll need to buy a settop box for my DVB-C channels ?

4. ChrisG8

You can watch the TV channels using the TV tuner but that has nothing whatsoever to do with the Google TV box, there will be no processing of the TV program by the Google TV box. As I stated, Google TV accepts a TV source through the HDMI input only. You are watching the TV signal directly to your TV. For the Sony NSZ-GS7 or any other Google TV box to process the TV program, an STB or DVR or TV tuner with HDMI output is required.

Google TV can find a guide for TV sources and you can search that guide and read about the programs and select programs without having the TV source connected to Google TV but the program can not be played through Google TV and the Google TV overlay can not be used with any TV source that isn't connected to Google TV through the HDMI input. I can't say whether or not your TV source will have a Google TV channel guide with program information but you can get that information from others using Google TV in your TV market, I suspect it will be able to provide a TV guide and program information to be used by the various Google TV searches in any market being served by Google TV. I only have experience with my TV source here in Little Rock, AR, USA.

I do not know whether the Sony NSZ-GS7 can switch to the TV input and change channels on your TV after a program is selected by Google TV, but if it can that is not the same as watching the program while being processed by Google TV, the Google TV output will be unused in that case. If it can, and that might be what someone is claiming that has gotten your attention, you should be able to get that information from someone using Google TV in your market with Sony TVs. In that case hitting the Google TV Live TV button only switches to the TV from your Google TV and your Google TV might as well be on the moon while you are watching TV.

I hope I am clearer and you understand the point I am making, without connecting an HDMI cable from the TV source to the Google TV HDMI input, there can be no Google TV processing of the TV source. There is no magical way to overcome that limitation by using a Sony Bravia TV.

5. ChrisG8

I should probably also add, using Google TV overlay with TV sources is only a very small part of what Google TV provides by combining traditional TV with internet TV so without a TV source being connected to Google TV, Google TV is still very useful in my opinion. You can still use Google TV to control your TV and switch inputs from TV to Google TV and back and forth but unlike using Google TV with a TV source fed through the HDMI input, you will not leave the TV on the same HDMI input all of the time.