Quantcast

Live HD TV and Google TV - New Hauppauge Broadway

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by LessThanSammy, Dec 28, 2011.

1. LessThanSammy

LessThanSammy New Member

I have been in the search for something to mate Live HD TV to my new Google TV without a monthly fee. I own an HDHomeRun, but have been dissapointed with the fact that noone but Windows Media Player has invested any time in working with the product. I have also read up on TIVO, but that has a monthly fee though I feel it would probably suit my purpose.

I just ran across a review on Sound and Vision for the Hauppauge Broadway. I cannot post the link yet, but you should be able to search for the review, and others.

This appears as though it would work well with Google TV, however unsure whether or not the integration would have to be through Chrome or not. I think that it would, which I figure would negate its full integration into Google TV and the built-in channel guide/browser.

Thoughts?

Sam

2. MAZ

MAZ New Member

I did a little reading about the Broadway...

Broadway set-up Step 3: requires the use of a browser to access the following website; distan.tv

Broadway converts and compresses the live TV signal into H.264 video format or Flash for Mac, PC and Android.

Hauppauge conveniently left the systems requirements for Android off their product website but the windows requirements clearly requires one of the many popular browsers available; Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc.

It would be great if this would work right out of the box but my experience with Hauppauge, its never as easy as they say.

3. lkruper

lkruper Member

Thanks for the link. It looks like a competitor for Slingbox which I have. It is a little more expensive that the Slingbox Solo. Do you think it has advantages over Sling?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Incidentally, the monthly subscription fee is optional. You can choose to get an unsubscribed Tivo and still have some rudimentary OTA tuner support. Even better, you have the option to get the Lifetime subscription. This would avoid from being obligated to pay a monthly fee and raise the intrinsic value of the unit itself. This can be important if you want to sell in the future if Tivo comes out with a new model. Just check Criag's List or eBay in the difference in price that people are willing to pay for a unsubscribed Tivo and one with Lifetime.