Quantcast

Listening while surfing question

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by Rick44, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Rick44

Rick44 Member

I posted this in another thread with no answer. Hoping I'll get an answer by giving it it's own thread.
    Listening to a radio station or podcast. Now I also want to surf the web. How do I do that while still listening?
    I've tried open new window, open incognito window and going to bookmarks from that page. And this is something I'm listening to from a website. I got there through Chrome, not an app. Anyway, what happens is I lose what I was listening to like I had closed the window. What am I doing wrong? Maybe a simple solution, but I haven't discovered yet.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a way to keep the music playing (while you web surf) from sites that you got to through Chrome. I know you can keep the music playing while using the Pandora app. And I'm guessing probably with some other music/radio apps. Although Pandora is the only one I've tried thus far.

3. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Even WebTV could do this!!! It's really pathetic it can't be done through Chrome. And the reason it can't be done at the moment is that they're still working on figuring out a way to make a buck doing so.

4. Rick44

Rick44 Member

So, I can't do it? I thought for sure that there was a solution that I was missing. I don't think I've used the apps page yet. Any good radio apps? I mean for talk radio, not music. I tried typing in Tunein in the search box, and got no results. I know that's apopular radio app. Are there any that work with googletv?

5. CatfishRivers

NPR (National Public Radio) is good for talk shows. They have a web app that you can access through the GTV Spotlight section.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  6. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

If you're in the United States, try this website. US Live Radio - United States radio stations streaming live on the internet Google TV is supposed to work with radio stations that use the Adobe Flash Player. When I go there, I'm redirected to Last.FM, which doesn't work outside the U.S.

7. CatfishRivers

OK I just did a bit of testing with NPR. The NPR web app through the Spotlight section is mostly music concerts.

You can get 24 hour talk shows through the regular full NPR web site. I tried going to the NPR site and opened a radio stream. Then I went to this forum through my GTV bookmarks and the audio stream stopped playing.

So what I did was once on the NPR site with the audio stream playing - I went to my settings and clicked "windows". I then saw that NPR was one of the open windows as well as GTVForum.org. So I clicked the GTVForum.org link from within my windows settings on GTV - and it took me here and the audio stream is continuing to play.

Here is the link to the regular full web version of NPR:

NPR : National Public Radio : News & Analysis, World, US, Music & Arts : NPR

8. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Is the audio stream Adobe Flash Player-based?

9. CatfishRivers

10. CatfishRivers

I also noticed that with the NPR radio stream playing - I can go to settings and click "new window". This takes me to my homepage (which is my symbaloo bookmarks). The NPR radio will continue playing. I then came here from my Symbaloo bookmarks and it's still playing.

However I tried doing the same thing from a radio stream on LastFM - and the music stopped playing.

11. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Catfish, thanks for the advice and help. I did what you've done. I mean open a new window while listening.
    I tested the NPR link you gave and it works. I can listen to that while surfing. For me, talk radio is sports talk radio.
    When I tried to do the same thing with something like ESPN radio, it would cut off. Not immediately, though. Usually takes about 20 seconds or so. I first thought it worked because of the delay.

Now, I'm really confused. you can do it with some websites, but not others? I woulh have thought it would be all or nothing, and that as long as I hadn't closed the window on the site that I was listening to that I'd be able to surf while listening.

12. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Were you logged in to ESPN Radio? Does that make a difference? I was able to receive the audio, too, but lost it when I moved from the site. Since the stream was audible, it must be using Adobe Flash Player, since that's the only player that works with GTV!!! That isn't a site I frequent. Send them a message if you haven't already. Contact ESPN Radio - sitetools - ESPN

13. Rick44

Rick44 Member

I wasn't logged in. I went to their site through chrome and opened their player. More like clicked on listen live. I'm not exactly computer literate, but I believe thir player is flash. Why does it make a difference? I don't get it which basically means nothing since I am not literate. There must be a reason or it would work.

There is a thread, at the top of this forum, with apps that work with googletv. The Tunein app is listed with fc in parenthesis. What does the fc stand for? I typed in tunein in the apps search box and got no results. I believe there are many talk stations available through that app. I've never actually used it, just what I've read.

14. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that he get a Android Phone or Tablet? Or did you sideload it onto your Google TV device? The app currently, says...

16. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

He said he got no search result. I gave him one. Here's another one. It may be more useful, as it's tunein's website. TuneIn Radio: Find and listen to Talk, Music and Local Radio Online

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

He is probably searching through the Market app on his Google TV device which filters out "incompatible" apps.

The web app works for me.

18. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

The web "app" works for me, too. But only as long as I don't surf off the site, with or without Windows. Not good.

19. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Yes, I wanted to know if the tunein app worked on google tv. I don't even own an android phone. I checked the other thread and it is definitely listed as an app that works. Chicha, when you say with or without windows, do you mean that you tried it with a computer?
    I have windows xp on my laptop and can surf while using tunein through their website. However, that doesn't solve the google tv problem of losing the station once you surf elsewhere. Why does it work with NPR? Could we do it with google tv before the update a couple months back? I seem to remember doing it in the couple months I had the tv before the update. Maybe not because it was only once or twice, so I'm not sure.

20. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

I don't use a computer. I was referring to "Windows" on GTV. Hopefully, we can get an answer to this soon. That tune-in website is excellent. Though the main station I'm interested in, K-Earth 101 in Los Angeles, is blocked as it's only broadcast domestically. Is some foreign government going to sue them for broadcasting internationally??? Over the internet???