Quantcast

Lip sync problem

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by uscpsycho, Jul 16, 2013.

1. uscpsycho

uscpsycho New Member

My lip sync is really, really bad. It runs the gamut from being a little off to being severely out of sync. Seems channel dependent but I never had such a problem with any of my channels between introducing the co-star. Probably doesn't matter but my DVR is a DirecTV HR24-500.

Yes, I tried to adjust the lip sync but changing the delay from 0 only makes it worse because the video is ahead of the audio at 0. Too bad you can't adjust the delay in the other direction.

It's 2013, I thought lip sync issues were long gone by now. How does something like this ship with such a severe problem?

2. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

Mine varies from day to day and from source to source. I also have DirecTV. On one of my TVs I can set the lip sync to +3 and this appears to have solved the issue. On my other TV I need to turn the TV off or change the channel to clear and it usually works.

3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Install these HDMI cables "IN and OUT" onto your Co-Star found 6ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI® Cable w/Ferrite Cores - Black 6ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI® Cable With Ethernet w/ Ferrite Cores - Black .... They are very cheap, fixed my lip sync problems and enhanced my Co-Star setup overall ....

4. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

6. googlethis

googlethis New Member

7. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

You know why you are attacking Wisdom dude, because you are jealous of Wisdom .... You want to be Wisdom so bad, yeah ... Keep the attacks coming, showing your image dude ....(LMAO) @ You:cool:

8. uscpsycho

uscpsycho New Member

I tried different cables and, as I suspected, a complete waste of time. Yes, they were 1.4 blah blah blah. That isn't the problem or the solution.

However, I think I found the solution. I had the HDMI Audio Out set to Auto in my settings. I switched it to PCM and as far as I can tell the lip sync issues are gone. I haven't tested extensively but I've tested several live channels and several DVR recordings and I haven' had any trouble since switching.

What I'm not 100% sure of is if there are any disadvantages to using PCM? Can anyone intelligently explain any pros/cons of using PCM? Thanks!

9. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I believe PCM is fully decoded audio. I'm not sure if this means that it's going to make sure to only let your DVR output PCM, or if it just ensures that the CoStar only outputs PCM but eliminating the need to decode the audio further is apparently keeping your audio in sync.

As far as disadvantages go, I guess the main one is that it hides the original audio format your AVR (assuming you're using one) and doesn't let it handle the decoding which it might be better at, but that's probably not a big deal for a set top box.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  10. KansasCharlie

KansasCharlie New Member

I have a sony GS7 with an Apple tv plugged in and i noticed similar issues. Restarting it a couple times seems to have cleared the problem.

11. uscpsycho

uscpsycho New Member

So this could potentially degrade the audio? I would rather that using Google TV not have any kind of negative impact but if I have to choose between mildly degraded audio or horrible lip sync issues, I'll settle for degraded audio.

Just to be clear though, it will still allow my AVR to play the full 5.1 channels as intended. That won't be compromised, right?
    This definitely didn't work for me. I tried restarting and using different cables. The only thing that works (so far) is switching to PCM audio.

12. jonw747

Hopefully Vizio got the decoding right and PCM can encode 5.1 channels, but you should be able to verify that much on your AVR's display or by listening. So nothing should be compromised, but in the early days of HD and digitally encoded sound A/V equipment had a lot of bugs and I gained a level of distrust that I can't shake. :)

One of the reasons I bought the Sony over the Vizio, is I simply trust that Sony had a better chance of getting A/V issues right and wouldn't take shortcuts, but that wasn't based on anything other than brand.

13. uscpsycho

uscpsycho New Member

What am I looking for on my AVR to verify proper encoding? I see that PCM is lit on the display. Is that what I'm looking for?

14. jonw747

Your AVR may have additional information to show whether it's seeing 2 ch or 5.1 ch PCM, but lacking that you can always go to a channel which supposedly has 5.1 sound and listen to your speakers. The lack of information regarding exactly what's being decoded is one of the downsides of PCM, but that's a bigger deal with a BluRay player where there are a ton of options and it's nice to know if you're getting what you think you should be getting.

15. uscpsycho

uscpsycho New Member

MY AVR seems to show me what it's outputting rather than what is incoming. So if I select Stereo it shows two channels or if I select THX it shows 5.1 channels. Assume that even if it is just getting two channels it is turning that into 5.1.