Quantcast

Linux vs. Android

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by chicha29, Dec 16, 2011.

1. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

I may not have all my facts straight, computer science not being my forte, but it seems to me that Linux is the way to go for "set-top boxes" such as Google TV. Why? With GTV's Android, the userbase is at the mercy of the "update schedule" as dictated by Google/Logitech/Sony. With Linux, my understanding is that it's like wikipedia in that anyone can update it. (I imagine there are checks and balances!) So, when something is broken/not right, and with HC, there are things that are not right/not working properly, they get fixed - quickly (with Linux). The multitude of Android (HC) complaints voiced in this forum will get addressed exactly when? Am I mistaken regarding the plusses of Linux versus Android?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Fyi, Android is built on top of a Linux kernel.

3. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, but there are lots of Linux devices which you cannot make alterations. Linux is used in a lot of embedded systems which do not offer customer customizations. Tivo is another example of a Linux embedded device which you cannot even tell that it is running it. Let alone have a supported method to change its operating system. In broad terms, Google TV is a embedded device that provides access to content similar to a personal computer. However, Google TV is not a personal computer. That is why you get a fraction of a PC's functionality at a fraction of its cost.

You know what's funny. I can easily go through technical documents and white papers in minutes. But, trying to read a journalistic interpretation of a business analyst's view of Information Technology is like intentionally trying to inflict paper cuts on my own eyeballs. The first line alone is makes me want to hurl, "There is a theory in evolutionary biology that reciprocal altruism and cooperation first appeared as a solution to the food storage problem." Oh eM Gee! who the "f" writes "s" like that?! You'll have to excuse my french, but as an older gentleman with very little tolerance for pretentiously "creative" compositions, I cannot read that article. Frankly, the first paragraph alone makes me want to kick the author in his grocery bag of nuts.