Quantcast

LG's WebOS TV Will Debut Next Month At CES

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 19, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

LG's webOS TV will debut next month at CES | The Verge (click for full article)

by Aaron Souppouris - Dec. 19, 2013

-- Almost a year after purchasing the remnants of webOS, LG is gearing up to debut a TV running its interpretation of the defunct smartphone OS. Speaking at a semiconductor event in Seoul, Korea, LG researcher Hong Sung-pyo revealed the company's first webOS product will be a new TV set for a CES reveal next month. The webOS-powered TV will apparently run a 2.2GHz dual-core processor with 1.5GB of RAM, which will allow for multi-tasking features.

"A GAMECHANGER."

It's unclear what form webOS will take when it emerges from its three-year hiatus; last February, LG said it was revamping the interface used by Palm and HP for phones and tablets, adding that it will be "a gamechanger." The operating system is famous for introducing the "cards" multitasking system that's since been aped by Android, Windows Phone, and iOS, and despite the reported interface revamp there's still a chance we'll see cards make their way to LG's new TV in some form.

At today's Seoul event, Hong also said LG is going to revive Palm / HP's Enyo development efforts. Enyo is an open-source JavaScript framework for cross-platform applications, and it appears that LG will ask third parties to develop applications using Enyo.

As to why LG feels the need to develop a brand new smart TV operating system, Hong says that, despite improvements to LG's TV current operating system, Netcast, many users aren't fully utilizing the smart functionalities of their televisions. It's hoped that webOS will offer a better experience and encourage people to use LG's software over a third-party box like an Apple TV, Roku, or Chromecast. CES takes place at the beginning of January in Las Vegas, Nevada, and we'll be there bringing you news about webOS TVs and more.

Hyunhu Jang contributed to this article.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

Hmmm... I wonder what are the implications for LG's GTV line of televisions? Will there be new LG GTV models announced at CES also? IMO LG will hedge their bets and still offer a few GTV models. CES is always such a fun time -:)

3. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Palm’s last mobile operating system, webOS, will find new life in LG televisions. According to a report from The Wall Street Journal, the first new webOS television will be showcased in January during the CES 2014 trade show in Las Vegas. This is an interesting move by LG. A couple of years ago, connected televisions were largely expected to run Android. But Samsung is now seen launching Tizen-powered televisions by 2015 and LG’s webOS move means that the smart TV market might become surprisingly fragmented in the coming years — particularly if Apple and Microsoft also jump in with iOS and Windows televisions.

It will be fascinating to see how the competition between Sony’s PlayStation 4, Microsoft’s Xbox One, and smart TVs shapes up over the next two years. Will consumers need a TV with an application ecosystem if they have high-end video game consoles that are designed to deliver video content and apps? Will Apple sweep the table once it finally unleashes its “iTV“? Or might Roku be the ultimate dark horse?

12-30-13

Source

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Sorry catfish... I didn't see it written there.....

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think WebOS will be a short lived smart TV platform, I have no idea what LG thinks it can accomplish with this attempt.

6. CatfishRivers

7. CatfishRivers

Leak shows LG's radical new interface for its webOS Smart TVs (click for full article & picture)

by Matt Brian - Jan. 2, 2014

-- LG's rumored webOS Smart TV is tipped to arrive at CES in the coming days, but that hasn't stopped intrepid leaker @evleaks from giving us what could be an early preview of its next connected set. In what appears to be a significant departure from the smartphone-like UI utilized in its current Smart TVs, the leaked render shows off LG's modern interpretation of the Cards interface we first saw in Palm's webOS-powered smartphones and tablets.

LG chiefs have already indicated that the company has thrown its weight behind the Enyo open-source JavaScript development framework, which it acquired from HP as part of the webOS project, in the hope it will encourage third parties to create apps and services for its next-gen TVs. If the leaked image is real, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Skype apps will likely be available at launch, but we're set to find out for sure when CES 2014 commences next week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another article from today with some additional information:

http://liliputing.com/2014/01/lgs-webos-powered-tv.html

From the above link:

** WebOS may never have been as popular as Android or iOS, but the platform won some fans for its innovative multitasking system which grouped running apps together as "cards" that you could view at a glance or swipe away when not in use. But what really makes webOS tick are the developer tools - most apps that run on webOS are basically designed using the same code you'd use to write a web app. This makes it relatively easy for web developers to write apps for webOS.

It also means that webOS could be a powerful platform for connecting your TV to internet apps such as YouTube, Facbeook, Twitter, Skype, and more. Those are just some of the web app icons shown in the image obtained by @evleaks.

The user interface also looks a bit different from the webOS we last saw on the HP TouchPad tablet. There are still cards, but they've been moved to the bottom of the screen, while notifications stay in the upper right corner - and it looks like the entire user interface can appear on top of live TV broadcasts, letting you keep watching TV while you check the weather or otherwise plan your next move. **

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  8. ChrisG8

I have an HP TouchPad with WebOS, dual boot with Android. I only use the Android operating system but if this new LG folly results in some free WebOS apps that will run on my TouchPad, I will sure have to look at them.

9. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I really liked WebOS and also Blackberry's QNX OS, both in my opinion were far superior to Android and iOS. Love the real multitasking they are capable of. Its unfortunate both HP and Blackberry failed in their strategy to promote their OS and get the backing of developers. I hate that I don't know on Android if the app I backed out of is still running or not. Just give me an 'Exit app' option that truly exits and is no longer using up resources.

10. ChrisG8

I think you're right mrspock, Google TV running unneeded apps wasting resources is the issue that requires user intervention to overcome, otherwise Google TV doesn't run worth a hoot. I handle it by running RAM booster before starting a new app. It is probably too bad WebOS has such a tiny market share now but I still don't see how LG is going to do anything with WebOS here.

11. CatfishRivers

LG's new webOS interface is a smart, simple, but occasionally jittery way to navigate your TV | The Verge (click for full article)

by Nathan Ingrahan - Jan. 7, 2014

-- The CES show floor is officially open, and we've finally had a chance to take LG's new webOS TV interface for a spin. There's little doubt that LG has come up with a clever and simple way to run your TV, compared to the commonly overwrought interfaces seen on most other smart TVs. Unfortunately, the product also showed some flaws due to the combination of a tough CES connectivity environment and early-stage software.

As we learned yesterday, the interface is composed of three sections. The "present" area, always accessible by hitting the "home" button on the remote, shows your favorite apps and content sources as selected by each user. Here you can pin your cable box, Netflix and Hulu apps, and anything else you might download through LG's store. You access each of these apps via LG's new Magic Remote - it's a small take on the usual TV remote that hooks to the TV through Bluetooth. The main way of controlling the interface is by pointing and clicking; it's not at all dissimilar to using the interface on Nintendo's Wii.

Read more at: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/52...-simple-but-occasionally-jittery-tv-interface

Hands-on with LG's WebOS TV interface:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014