Quantcast

LG's Google TVs To Get JellyBean Update In Q3

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 15, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

LG's Google TVs to get Jelly Bean update in Q3 | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews (click for full article)

by David Katzmaier - May 15, 2013

"Google TV, the ambitious living room operating system often maligned as slow to update, difficult to use, and less focused than alternatives like Roku or standard Smart TV suites, will finally get a major operating system upgrade later this year.

LG announced today at Google I/O that its Google TVs will get the update to Android version 4.2.2, aka Jelly Bean, in the third quarter. LG is the only manufacturer still selling actual televisions with Google TV built-in, although a few set-top boxes are available, too. LG's models, including the 2013 GA7900 and GA6400 and the 2012 G2, will all get the update.

The release didn't mention whether or when other Google TV devices, such as the Vizio Co-Star, the Sony NSZ-GS7, or the Logitech Revue, will also get the update.

"In addition to boosting overall performance," says LG's press release, "the update will enable customers to enjoy more applications, including games that provide a greater level of interactivity and advanced graphics." It will support the Android Native Development Kit (NDK), so "smartphone apps designed using the NDK will run on LG Google TV with little to no modifications. With NDK compatibility, users can now play more games on the bigger...screen."

LG also posted a video with the update in action, featuring a GA7900 and the popular game Royal Revolt, as well as the newly developed remote control app for mobile phones and a feature that simulates 3D with standard 2D games.

Hands-on video: LG Google TV with Jelly Bean update:

By the time the update rolls out, the current version of the Google TV software will be nearly two years old. Based on Android Honeycomb (version 3.2), it hit Google TV devices in November 2011. While an improvement on its predecessor, and despite a couple of key updates since, it still has issues.

For what it's worth, Android phones and tablets have had Jelly Bean since LG's Nexus 4 and Samsung's Nexus 10 were released in November 2012."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Kristi

Kristi New Member

Most importantly it sounds like the ndk will finally be opened up.

3. CatfishRivers

Google TV updated to Android 4.2.2, Chrome adds deeper content protection | The Verge (click for full article)

by Chris Welch - May 15, 2013

"It didn't receive any attention on stage at Google I/O today, but Google hasn't forgotten about its ongoing effort to take over the living room with Google TV. The company is today updating the platform to the latest version of Android (4.2.2 Jelly Bean) and is promising that under-the-hood changes will help its manufacturing partners deliver quicker updates moving forward. Specifically, Google says this will make it possible to update Google TV hardware in "weeks rather than months."

Google TV is also being brought up to date with the latest version of Chrome. Like the core OS, Chrome for Google TV will now be on a faster update cycle - every six weeks, to be exact. More importantly, this latest version of Chrome introduces support for hardware-based content protection, an addition that should make developers (and content producers) less wary about bringing copyrighted video to their apps.

If you've already got a Google TV device, you can expect to see these updates "in the coming months" with the new software set for inclusion in fresh hardware coming "later this year." Google will need to do more on the consumer end to establish Google TV as a serious contender - particularly with powerful new gaming (and entertainment consoles on the way) - but it sounds like we'll have a better idea of what's next by the end of 2013."

4. CatfishRivers

Google TV Updated to Android Jelly Bean and Chrome 26 (click for full article)

by Harrison Weber - May 15, 2013

"Today following its yearly I/O developer keynote, Google has announced that Google TV is moving to Android Jelly Bean (version 4.2.2) and the latest version of Chrome (26). Google says existing Google TVs will "start to receive updates in the coming months."

For manufacturers, Google says it is "refactoring" it's update cycle so "partners can update to future versions of Android in a matter of weeks rather than months." This will clearly make the platform more attractive to developers - it needs all the help it can get. The same goes for Chrome, which will now be updated every six weeks on Google TV, just like it is on other platforms.

Google was quick to point out that developers will now be able to "build TV experiences using the latest Android APIs, including the NDK." Additionally, Chrome for Google TV is receiving "support for hardware-based content protection, enabling developers to provide premium TV content in HD within their web apps. "

As for upcoming hardware, Google remained rather vague, and simply said "we expect to see new [Google TV] devices launched later this year."

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  5. CatfishRivers

Sounds good. But I'm still holding on to my Logitech Revue until I see a new GTV device with 2GB of RAM.. Hopefully by the end of the year we'll see it.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Pretty exciting announcement. I hope all models are updated to Jelly Bean and NDK support. Of course new models with better processors and 2GB of RAM would be exciting as well.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CatfishRivers

IMO all the second generation GTV devices (GTV devices running the Marvell Armada 1500 processor) will get the JellyBean update.

I don't think the Logitech Revue will get the update. Logitech previously officially announced that they wouldn't update the Revue to Ice Cream Sandwhich. I take that to mean the 3.2 OS update was the last one for the Revue. There is a slight chance Google could take over the Revue updates and update it to JellyBean - but it's not likely.

Also IMO first generation Sony GTV devices (on the Intel Atom processor) are a question mark as to whether they will receive the JellyBean update.

8. bigsam411

bigsam411 New Member

It seems to me that since this update is bringing an update to Chrome along with it that it might also bring Flash 11 as well which would be great. Now we just need Asus, Netgear, Hisense, Sony, and Vizio to announce their upgrade plans for their hardware.

9. ChrisG8

I am doubtful the first generation models will get the update but we can hope. I certainly expect all ARM processor models to get the update.

10. CatfishRivers

Flash 11 is highly unlikely. In fact Google and Adobe have already stated that there will be no Flash 11 on GTV. See the folllowing thread for more details:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-request-gtv-issues-flash-11-please-vote.html

Google plans on eventually eliminating Flash altogether from GTV. HTML5 will be the wave of the future. In fact Google is plannning to use their new VP9 (WebM) codec for YouTube by the end of the year. This was discussed during the Google I/O keynote today. The good news is that GTV will be getting an update to Chrome 26 - along with much more frequent Chrome updates. So IMO the updated GTV Chrome browser will support the VP9 codec.

VP9 codec will be pretty cool because it utilizes much less data consumption than H.264 - plus it has the huge benefit that it is totally open (royalty free).

• Like Like x 2
  11. drhill

drhill Member

12. drhill

drhill Member

Biggest news!

13. CatfishRivers

Looks like the GTV devices with the Intel Atom chip are out of luck:

Google TV will receive Android 4.2.2 update as well as latest version of Chrome ? Tech News and Analysis

From the article:

"This will be a big step for Google TV, which has been based on Android 3.2, or Honeycomb, since the last major OS update in late 2011. However, some Google TV owners won’t be able to take advantage of the update: A Google spokesperson confirmed Wednesday that it will only be available for ARM-based Google TV devices, and not on first-generation Intel-based Google TV set-top-boxes and TVs."

14. CatfishRivers

Ahhhh very interesting! Flash is getting the "heave-ho" on GTV devices with the new update:

Google TV officially updated to latest versions of Android and Chrome, faster updates promised going forward

From the article:

"Update: Some have asked what this means for the future of Flash on Google TV. We've confirmed with Google that this does mean the end of Flash on Google TV since it's no longer supported on the newer versions of Android, and the build that was in Google TV was already out of date. The update will bring more enhancements to HTML5 streaming and interactive content -- hopefully the sites some users frequent will expand their technology platforms just as quickly."

15. CatfishRivers

• Like Like x 2
  16. drhill

drhill Member

Business decisions. Not surprising. The don't want to support x86 anymore which I can't blame them for. While the announcement is great, they still haven't proven to anyone they support the platform wholeheartedly yet.

Let's see some new hardware announcements. Hopefully with more variety.

17. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Best news is the NDK support. Worst news is that my NSZ-GT1 will end-up being nothing more than a very expensive blu-ray player.

18. ChrisG8

I doubt if the Intel Atom players can be made to run the Google TV version of Jelly Bean. If the first generation models continue to do everything they do now, I will continue to use them. Eventually websites and services I use now may not work with the first gen, then I will have to move on.

19. CatfishRivers

Mr. Spock your NSZ-GT1 might become a collector's item -:) IMO some people will still want these because they support Flash 10.2. Remember after the new update the ARM GTV boxes will be purged of Flash.

HTML5 will be the wave of the future for sure. But Flash is still firmly entrenched all over the internet. I'm a bit worried that "a couple months from now" (when the new update is supposed to roll out) is a bit too soon to be without Flash in the browser.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ChrisG8

I expected the first generation to be left behind and not make it to Jelly Bean so this is no surprise to me. I sure won't replace my first gen boxes with the current boxes for several reasons, most important is I haven't been convinced the Marvell Armada is a big improvement over the Intel Atom chips used with the first gen models in terms of speed and stability. The applications available only to the ARM based processors are significant but if the Sony NSZ-GT1 and Revue are retired in my household, it will be because new Google TV hardware blows the old hardware away, not just a modest improvement like what is available today. That might happen with the third generation or fourth generation.